White Noise - An Electric Storm

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Haliax, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Haliax

Haliax Guest

I recently dug out a copy of An Electric Storm by White noise and a wave of nostalgia washed over me, reminding me of my younger days where I would lay down in a dark room with the surreal soundscapes of An Electric Storm washing over me.

An Electric Storm was way ahead of its time, you have to understand this was 1969 and Synthesisers in mainsteam production was unheard of. So White Noise was asked by Island Records to produce an album, however David Vorhaus only had a bedroom Studio. So with the help of Brian Hodgson and Delia Derbyshire (Delia is better known for the Dr Who theme music), they produced an amazing surreal soundscape using just tape machines and electronics. The idea of looping sounds, layering them on top of other looped sounds was light years ahead of what was being produced. These synthetic sounds could quite easily be mistaken for early modular synths, like the Moog, but the sounds were creating just using tape and a few effects (reverb and manual flanging)

If you haven't heart it, check it out. The penultimate track "The Visitation" will send shivers down your spine (Best listened to in a dark room at volume).

Does anyone else in here remember this album?

[​IMG]

3. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

Yeah, tho not heard it for a long time........ a wee bit gimmicky as I recall, but as it was from the pre microdot/blotter era that helped.

4. Haliax

Haliax Guest

One lump or two?

5. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

Had this album many years ago. Inspired me to buy an EMS Synthi AKS in 1976. I miss that crazy old synth. Nothing else ever sounded quite the same. Also from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop stable: Delia Derbyshire (Dr. Who theme, Falling) and Brian Hodgeson (Wavemaker). Cheers!

6. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

7. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star