While DL on my IMac Internet Connection fails.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Blake McCreery, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Blake McCreery

Blake McCreery Newbie

I have looked on youtube how to fix the issue and did 3 of the main fixes and my speed went from 70kb to 3-4MB. So the slow speed seems fixed but not the connection failing before completing the file. I don’t know if its the source of the file thats kicking me or what. Does anyone have any input. I appreciate it.

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

just when you thought you had seen it all.... I'm stumped. I would try downloading the file with multiple browsers first. I use Safari and Opera but any alternative browser to the one you are using would work. https://mega.nz/file/AVggSDwS#-dIlb9U5EbeHdG0tckh-z_T1T-J_upe4ZeMf8Zr6OTo. This is a link to some Virus basses I stuck on my mega. It's a big enough file (225 megabytes) from HTTP to see what is going on with your browser.

If you are using some download client like bit torrent, don't test with it running or to do any test downloads. Rule out only your connection and HTTP/HTTPS sources first. Then you will know more about your problem.

4. recycle

recycle Guest

Most of the time it is not the computer, but the router. If you are on wifi consider connecting your iMac with a lan
    My iMac, connected to wifi, never went above 180Mbps, using lan it is always at 500Mbps
    the cable never fails

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I am always on Wifi and have never seen this, exactly. But you are right that cabled ethernet will always be faster and more reliable because of the better throughput. I figured he would have looked into that doing the speed test stuff he mentioned.

One thing I have seen though using wifi, is that the router can fail in such a way that allows the computer to be on the network and internet, but certain protocols have just taken a dump. However it occurs, the easy fix for that is a full Power Cycle of the router; by disconnecting it and pulling the backup battery out of it for about 1 minute. Maybe a logout/back in after it also.