Which vocal saturation/distortion ?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by LopDog, Mar 14, 2015.

1. LopDog

LopDog Noisemaker

Which vocal saturation do you use, on vocal ?
    Decapitor is the better for me but i use an cracked version, but there is a lot of crashes / "bomb " it's not stable on ableton .For the moment i can't buy it.
    Which other i can/do you use ? cheaper , or perfectly cracked?

3. fuad

fuad Producer

Why don't you just use the different distortion plugins that come with Ableton Live? They're excellent.

Saturator is great and you have so much control over the sound that you want.

Overdrive is also very good and has a filter control so again you have good control over the effect that you want to apply to the vocal.

Also you have can use the tube exciter and the amp plugins.

You have all of these options inside Ableton Live you really don't need any other plugins to do what you need.

For me when I want to add distortion to vocals it's usually the tube exciter and then some overdrive.

4. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

-Multibands
    Ozone Exciter mid/side depends on the track

Fabfilter Saturn mid/side depends on the track

usually give more mid than side

-Single Band

Sonnox Oxford Dynamics - warthm really works like a charm

Logic's Overdrive

sausage fattern (just 1-5 % do the job)

Camel Phat

Sometimes run single band plugins inside BlueCat Mixer, so they become multiband

there is Also MMultiband distortion from MeldaProduction or sometimes Usa Waves CLA-2A just to get some aggressive compression

As you can see the posibilities are endless,I usually start from Multiband first and then single band but just try what works best for you

5. fuad

fuad Producer

The list that Mostwest gave above pretty much covers the 3rd party plugins that you might wanna try :wink:

6. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Freeware : good disto/overdrive/amp sim from TSE, Ignite Amps or LePou.
    Once you remove cab sim, any electric guitar/bass amp/overdrive/disto do the trick.

Try TSE 808 or R47 for starter :wink:

Payware :
    I will add to the list Audio Damage Kombinat :wink:

But like "fuad" said, Ableton effects are already good enough. And you can find or make racks with different combinations.

7. LopDog

LopDog Noisemaker

I don't really use the overdrive device, but i use frequently the saturator device from live. But I use it rarely on my vocals when they are the main part of the song. at my level, for the vocals i use live's effect as little tasks, but i have actually some problems with some songs.

let me explain a friend want that i mix his songs, made with a crappy mic , this kind of cheap (50-100$) mic with an overboost on the extra low and extra high , like at 100hz and 12 khz. That sound very "Hifi" but there aren't any mid frequency. So I want to try to not overuse an eq and boost the mid frequency with a saturator for getting a natural sound. And this is why i asked you this question.

i tried an 1176 comp in ALL mode, this works nearly.
    I'll test some of the plugs listed, thank you

8. Try "Gain" from Joey Sturgis, it saves me a lot of time while mixin' from crappy source.
    It adds a lot of body (mid/bottom-range) to your voice tracks while standin' really natural.

9. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

?? This guy makes his presets using others/// Line 6 Podfarm 2 with Metalshop Upgrade
    Waves Q2
    Waves API 560
    Waves REQ 2
    Waves Renaissance Axx
    Waves API 550b
    Waves Center
    Waves L1 Limiter
    Format:
    Cubase: Track Archive (XML File)
    Pro Tools: PTX File, PTF File
    Logic: CST File
    Reaper: RTrackTemplate File
    Must be Rocket Science

Why would he want to use a Gain?

10. "Gain" is not a preset, it's a vst

http://joeysturgistones.bigcartel.com/product/jst-gain-reduction

11. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

works good for Metal/ Rock-Metal vocals, tried but didn't like it at all

12. have you tried izotope nectar?

13. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Yes but deleted since there isn't anythig new, If you have Izotope Ozone and Melodyne (or Autotune) you can get better results.

14. my last ace will be Tube Preamp by Studio Devil...
    if it not works, well... i'll reccomend you to re-recording your track with another mic (if it possible, obviously) :mates:

15. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

i don't do my vocals but i'll go to the studio while recording just to be sure that the vocal sounds good at the recording stage. And then add some light distortion as extra :wink:

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I have been getting really good results with Plug & Mix Analoger lately. This one blew my expectations waaay out of the water. And it lets you choose a hybrid tape/tube saturation which can be pretty cool depending on the track. God I love simple plugs that sound awesome.

Besides that, Mostwest covered most of the really good ones. Fabfilter Saturn (Fabfilter anything, for that matter) is great. And for vocals I almost never use any compressor other than Oxford Dynamics. Although Klanghelm makes a really nice compressor with some nice sounding saturation. I try that one out sometimes and I usually really like it until I A/B it with Sonnox.

17. mr_sheen

mr_sheen Newbie

+1 for Fabfilter Saturn. It's good for distorting the hell out of other things of course, but the algorithms in it are really nice for subtle warming of any sound really.