Which Sounds better?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Trevor Gordon, May 30, 2016.

1. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

Ok, totally disregard mix and master and tell me what version sounds better? A or B?

Version A:

Version B:

If you want a cleaner better quality version of both, click the download!

3. transmit³

transmit³ Kapellmeister

... Sounds better is relative!

A: sounds fuller and rounder at, so for my taste, better

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. Wando Waiato

Wando Waiato Member

B sound better to me. More kick in the face. A sounds too smooth for me.

5. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Version A sounds more like a Daft Punk-esque radio-ready song, while Version B (which I personally prefer) reminds me of early 2000 tech-house, and is probably more suited to be played in clubs. :wink:

BTW good job on this track, can't wait to hear it finished :grooves:

6. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

B

7. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

Didn't think making a choice like this would be so hard. I honestly love both. Depends the mood or audience you are going for. Though i'm more of a hiphop guy and love a forward sounding kick, for THIS type of song/old school vibe, i would go with A i suppose (which honestly surprises me that i'm saying lol).

8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

For me it's A. The drum sounds on B, sound disproportionate in relation to the bass. I know you said to disregard the mix, but as someone who spends most of every day with sound levels and mastering, it's impossible to ignore.

9. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Like Sonar said, the B has more of the 2000 house sound in it, which I like a lot - but the drums seem separated.. maybe because everything is more static in B. So I would go with A, esp because at the mix/master stage you'll be able to add a bit of that B "soul" in it..
    Very nice groove though! :wink:

10. LoveKavi

LoveKavi Kapellmeister

A seems better at first, but i think it can get quite jarring on the ear after a while. I prefer B overall, Feels more neat and the Kick sounds better driving the song. I think maybe having the drums the same on B but the instruments and other sounds a bit more like A, or just the non drum sounds bussed and add stereo width gently maybe to higher frequencies.

11. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

:) puts a smile from ear to ear on my face Trev. I'd love to get my hands on a full version or do a mix of the whole thing. Very good groove.
    Okay two different setups of the same track. I personally like the A sniplet better than the B one. The A one is open, dynamically wide and has got some sweet low end going. The B edit on the other hand punches right through with the tight and boxy kick right upfront as well as the snare/clap dominating the 2&4 in your face. But, it's a little on the harsh side, lot of hi-mid making it 'loud'. And since there's so much melodic, and harmonics going on, as well as that major bass-line, I'd make the mix wider and go for m/s on some of the elements and try to make it really push hard harmonically. I like what you did here. A's my favorite. Cheers!

edit, just realized the disregard the mix/master bit, so; A packs a lot more groove than B, as far as I'm concerned. Hope that helps. :winker:

12. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

A is softer and sounds more round, and the Kick/Snare fits way better with the genre of the other instruments.
    B is more like modern dance music in term of beat mixing and design, high transient, more punch, but its really clubby, no soft-round sound, or less.

I prefer A only because it fits better with the actual music playing behind it.
    But B is more like modern beats wich I prefer (even if I really dont like the used samples in this exemple)

13. Trevor Gordon

Thanks guys, I picked A.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

15. Trevor Gordon

Possibly! I'm currently collaborating with someone. We are experimenting and seeing what we can create. I have more of the producer,mixing, mastering strengths while he has some great skills with guitar and bass! We'll see what happens! I'm trying to get him to export single tracks so I can master it, but he doesn't know how to get them all the same time signature. He's using Cubase and I'm using Ableton.

16. Trevor Gordon

If you want to hear the original by the artist, check it out here!

17. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

Man this is good stuff!! Love the mixing.

18. vst mama

vst mama Member

19. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'll be a party pooper and just say that it sounds irritating and too distorted to me. There's no any dynamics left in it. The LEDs on my VU meter got stuck at 0 from beginning to the end. That's utterly ridiculous. I can't listen to that. Sorry. :sad:

edit: oh fuck I forgot that I had the limiter turned on on the main channel! LOL I like to watch films and series with a hardware compressor and limiter turned on. Now when I turned it off it sounds much better. Yes, there is some dynamics in it after all and it doesn't sound that distorted at all. You were probably surprised by my reaction. My limiter squished it completely on top of yours. LOL But you know nothing can surprise me these days any more. Even people praising a completely flat sounding track with 0.5dB of dynamics left in. Millennials are a generation with a hearing problem. :sad: anyway, yes it sounds nice. Good work and good luck with it! :wink:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

@Trevor Gordon Thanx for putting the original up!!! Playing it tonite.

21. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual