Which service for digital music distribution?

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Ceja, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Ceja

Ceja Ultrasonic

Hi guys,

I am looking for a good and reliable digital distribution service to release my music and music from friends who are also artists. So I researched a bit, but I still need some help.
    The current offer from Ditto Music (£49 a year, unlimited song uploads without extra costs, 100% royalties and included label set up) sounds pretty nice. http://www.dittomusic.com/unlimited-free-itunes-music-distr…

Does anybody has experience with Ditto and can recommend it? There are quite a few posts and comments in the internet, that say they have a bad support and the service is also not as good as advertised.

Other services are of course CD Baby and Tunecore, but both charge for every release / take percentage. But it seem that both are really established and provide good service.

So what do you think? Experiences? :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

3. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Distrokid charges $20 a year to upload an unlimited amount of songs:

https://distrokid.com/

Yes, only $20; unlimited. And you can collect monthly, whatever amount you have coming to you. Most distro services make you wait net-30 or whatever, and after a certain amount (say, $50) in royalties is accrued. And they charge per-release, per-year.

TuneWhore is a nickel-and-diming racket, and the owner is first-classhole, if you know what I'm sayin'. He publicly belittled and insulted me on the TuneWhore blog, and some of their ancillary services are charging for what one could or should be doing for oneself, or are things for which people in TuneWhore's position should be lobbying for, such as instant reporting and direct payment of royalties. They want 10% of your publishing royalites, or $50 a year, or whatever, to collect royalties on your behalf? What a scam.

Also to avoid: RouteNote. Too many "glitches" in their system to trust those guys. Also, they distributed my tracks to Google Play and to YouTube, when I'd expressly NOT selected those venues. (Either a major "glitch" or a back-room deal with Google.) No apology, either, from any of the owners when I'd drawn this to their attention. In fact, the head honcho himself was very rude to me when I told him that I wanted my account closed and my royalties paid ASAP. They still owe me some money, but I don't care enough to beat my head against their wall.

4. Ceja

Ceja Ultrasonic

Hi Stevitch,

thanks for your answer - that was really helpful.
    I totally forgot about Distrokid but they seem like the perfect fit, for what I am looking for.
    So you have only good experiences with distrokid? How was the support and did they do what they promised (like that fast delivery, quick sales reports...)?

5. Infidel

Infidel Producer

6. uber909

uber909 Member

Here's a useful review about those services => http://aristake.com/?post=92

Cheers.

7. Ceja

Ceja Ultrasonic

Hi guys,

thanks for your answers - I think Distrokid sounds pretty good.
    Also the review I read have been quite positive. About Ditto I found a lot of negative stuff.