Which Sequencer do you guys use?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by suchenderxxx, Jun 18, 2011.

?

Your choice

1. Cubase / Nuendo

16.2%
  2. Ableton

24.8%
  3. FL Studio

12.6%
  4. Reason

1.9%
  5. Sonar

6.3%
  6. Reaper

9.1%
  7. Logic

9.1%
  8. Pro Tools

1.7%
  9. Other

6.7%
  10. Presonus Studio

11.6%
  1. suchenderxxx

suchenderxxx Guest

Hello members,

which DAW you guys are using? The main reason i´m asking is because in my opinion every DAW has another sound... I worked with cubase, Ableton, Sonar x1 and if you want to name it DAW Reason.

I like the workflow of cubase, but the sound was not my thing, Ableton is very good in stretching audio and making things fit, the algorithms are very good, the effects are good too, but it has an electro like sound to me, pro tools is very good sounding but i could only thest the 7,4 which is very complicatet at least for me. Then i tried sonar x1 and im very satisfied with it, workflow is great and the sound also, maybe the best sounding daw i tested so far.

what your opinions in this one?

3. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Nuendo for me, and Cubase just depends on clients i work with

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

Might come as a surprise to you but it has been proved over and over many times (tests tests tests) that all DAW have the same sonund. What comes in comes out.
    Panning laws are different but a mono signal loaded into a DAW and then "rendered" (back out to WAV) without any additional "tweaking" (use of vst) will sound exactly the same in any DAW.
    Workflow, GUI, ergonomics, features, drivers stability and bundled instruments are the things that make you choose one DAW against another, not the sound quality. In this respect some DAW come bundled with better sounding plugins, but this does not imply that the DAW itself is better sounding than others.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

DAWs do not color sound, maybe your imagining things, or forgot to turn that electro plugin off in LIVE :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Exacty, they all sounds the same. This have been proved by null-tests. But for a testing purpose you must adjust the panning laws to the same settings in all DAWs and never use any of their integrated plug-ins - that's because those plug-ins will not modify the signal the same way. As an exemple, if you boost 3 db @ 1kHz with Cubase's Studio EQ and 3 db @ 1kHz with Live's EQ, the resulting files will sound different cos 3 db @ 1kHz can be 2.8 db @ 967 Hz with Cubase's Studio EQ and 3.3 db @ 1.1 Khz with Live's EQ. On the contrary, if you use the same external plug-in at the same settings, treated files will then sound exactly the same in all DAWs.

But the best proof stay this one : if one audio engine sounded better than others, every (EVERY) pro studio/producer will use it and all competitors would go bankrupt. Simple.

Oh, and BTW I'm on Cubase 5 (AiR).

7. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

I agree with what you wrote above of this, but that surely would not happen, 'cause that would mean that all would agree which one sounds best, and that's impossible, in my opinion. "Good sound" is always also a matter of taste, and therefore higly subjective.

I'm using Cubase 5, too.

8. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I use live 8.2.2, Worked in Cubase 5 (Air) forever, too many crashing issues, would dearly love to see Cubase 6 come along... have been in Ableton for what seems like forever now.. not that it is immune to crashing either. (a stable version of Melodyne would also be desirable)

If i could get Record, I would probably use IT, even tho the lack of support for VST irritates the hell out of me, it's why it is so stable to begin with. *yes*

I say go with what suits your needs the best, and is most reliable on your system.

9. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

FL Studio.

I started on this and IMO it has the best piano roll to work with.

Trying to get into Ableton Live but I can push myself to really get used to it yet.

10. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Hahaha ! Good objection, indeed. But you forget that all can agree on the fact that any Genelec Monitor will sound better than... let's say a Logitech Z320 2-Piece Multimedia Speaker Set - or that GForce's impOscar/Minimonsta sounds better than a crappy (name one) VSTi.
    That's the kind of (exaggerated) difference I was referring to.

11. google

google Newbie

used to be cubase 10-15 years

now LIVE

LIVE is great

LIVE change settings to sound better

SET UP LIVE like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKTSTW_LFV4

12. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

poll has been added to this thread.. let's vote and get some real numbers! :dancing:
    i wonder if Ableton will be the leader

13. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Well I doubt that the difference between DAWs would be like Genelec compared to Logitech speakers :rofl:

14. PaulEsse

PaulEsse Noisemaker

Cubase me too, from ever.
    My first version was CUBASE Vst, somebody remember it ?
    I'd like to try SONAR but...I don't really want to start from zero again :wow: :wow:
    Anyway I tried LIVE e PROTOOLS and the sound is the same for all the application....don't believe in miracles !!

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

started with FL in march 2003(3.5.6 :)), tried cubase, Sonar, Reason, Reaper, Studio One, Orion, and as i bough FL back in 2006 - now i'm ending up with Ableton Live since - its getting me really somewhere not like FL - i felt always lost with so many windows. and the freeze function in LIve rocks.
    a lot of pro trance producers told me that the sidechain feature in cubase is really awful.
    yeah in reason the kind fo working with audio was not my choice. Sonar looks like Cubase and scared me :D, and studio one has a really fx bundle on board - very good quality! Reaper yeah the best "freeware" daw i have seen - since its staying fully functional after trail periode.
    btw i had a discussion with some trance artists about EQ's and we come to the result - that when u set the same parameters on different EQ - u'll not end up with the same result.
    i had no luck setting up a hackintosh - so no chance to test logic - but i hear really good things about it.
    really like the character of ES2 :)

16. Bluto

Bluto Newbie

Personally, I often use Ableton because it's simple, quick and intuitive. I'm thinking to buy Cubase, Studio One or SONAR for some big projects. (Recordings and trance/pop). Not a simple decision though :sad: Some meanings please ? :dancing:
    FL Studio is very good too, but only for Hard-electro sounds I think (what's a bit complicated with other DAW's because you don't have the 3xOSC, and the FL disto plugin's). But my beast is Ableton :bleh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I'd bet on it. :wink:

18. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

I used Sonar for almost 10 years all the way up to X1, just switched to Ableton Live and must say the ease of use is a huge advantage. You can just do things in Live that with Sonar you had to do all these stupid little work arounds to get, and some you could just never do... like capturing the output from a groove box plug in. Sonar had no way to directly capture the audio, whereas in Live all you do is route that output to an audio channel... easy and intuitive. The one thing I have noticed is that when running a standalone guitar amp emulator, for instance Guitar Rig or Peavey Revalver, it will sound really good. But when I use it as a plugin in Live, it sounds muddy and dull and I have to eq it to get it to sound the same as the standalone, so it would seem like the DAW does color the sound in some way between input and output. But who knows

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Thats not true to 100% because u can use the IL Juicy Pack which u can found at the IL Main Page!
    and there is a vst version of Soundgoodizer for free on the web called Youwashock. i use them quite a lot in LIve

20. suchenderxxx

suchenderxxx Guest

i did the testing with all the daw and belive me or not import an wav or mp3 file into cubase, ableton, pro tools and sonar and you will here a difference only the playback of the file without any processing!

dont talk about something if you did not do the testing! and dont play the pro if you dont know what you are talking about.

sonar and pro tools sounds the best there is a difference to other daws like cubase and ableton!

cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  21. Bluto

Bluto Newbie

Yeah but some plugins you need for the Hard basses, like Fast dist or the Blood overdrive aren't in this pack, and FL only :unsure: . But you can use Ohmicide instead of these plugin's . And for the big basses, I've never found another synth like 3xOSC, where the SAW is so hard (What you hear in alot of hard electro songs). Perhaps you know one ? :) . Finally, I think FL is the best solution for the Hard electro stuff :dunno: