which sample editor to accompany Live?

Discussion in 'Live' started by fraifikmushi, May 12, 2016.

1. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Ahoy ahoy,

as the title says: Which one is your go-to sample editor to work with in combination with Ableton Live?

Usually, my go-to editor is wavelab which I know inside out but somehow it feels overkill and too disruptive to my workflow for just a quick edit.
    A typical situation would be something like this: I record something, do some general leveling, sketch the edits, then switch to the 3rd party editor and do the real editing, save the file and switch back.

So I'm looking for something that starts in an instant from the ssd, it does not need vst support, something lightweight that's running on windows x64.
    I don't need multi-tracking and I don't like audacity, audition, soundforge.

Any ideas?

:thanks:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. Ziko

Ziko Guest

Sound Forge Pro?? It has good reviews

4. mageye

mageye Producer

5. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

@Ziko Thanks, but I really do not like sound forge. Really. Plus, it is a full blown multitrack audio workstation with vst support and everything. Far from lightweight.

@mageye This really looks like what I was searching, especially the metadata editor looks great. It should make sample clearance much easier. Unfortunately, it's os x only.

6. mageye

mageye Producer

7. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

Acoustica 6 by Acon Digital looks very interesting and has very good reviews.
    As far I can see it's not 64bit, but if you don't mind using it as an external standalone it might be perfect. The Premium Edition comes with lots of included effects like Distortion, Multiband Compressor, Flanger, Chorus, ..., even Convolution Reverb. Premium also comes with their very useful Restoration Suite

Here's a quick overview by Groove3

and btw: it's out there on the sister site for intense testing purposes :yes:

8. Gnib

Gnib Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. GlimmerGato

GlimmerGato Newbie

I have used Ocenaudio for a long time which works with locally stored files, or even the audio online. I know this software can make ringtones but never try it.BTW. I used another mp4 to m4r converter I find on web to convert songs to ringtones yesterday, luckily, I did it. LoL

10. ehrwaldt kunzlich

ehrwaldt kunzlich Rock Star

11. Ankit

Ankit Guest

+1 for OCENaudio. But I don't think Live users need any extra editor..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  12. TwinBorther

TwinBorther Kapellmeister

What kind of sample editing? At the moment I don't think there is much you couldn't do directly on ableton when it comes to sample manipulation, but correct me if I'm wrong

13. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

Wavosaur

14. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

You could give GOLDWAVE a shot. Found on any of the usual suspects, of course. https://www.goldwave.com/

Or....WAVESHOP looks light

After using AUDITION (COOLEDIT) for years, it's hard for me to find a light weight editor that feels right.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  15. Strategic

Strategic Noisemaker

Don't people successfully edit samples directly within Ableton millions of times daily? Why would you want something (seemingly) extra and unnecessary to complicate your workflow?

Please enlighten me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

I use iZotope RX5 to compliment Reaper. Really happy about its workflow and abilities.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  17. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

For me, Audio Ediors are just for precisely cutton samples, no FX procesessing. So I look for a good waveform display in it and not all sorts of other features. So I use:

Mac: Felttip Sound Studio (lean and basic)
    PC: I'd also go with Wavosaur (poor man's SoundForge, imo)

18. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

2nd Sense Audio Resample just came out on sister site a few days ago. Seems like a quick and easy wave editor. Pitch samples, time stretch, etc. I liked its look and feel but dumped it cause I couldn't get it to import the waves when you open it as an external editor with Reaper. Prolly a easy syntax on the launch options to be able to import the audio from Reaper but I didn't feel like messing with it. I'm learning Wavelab and Spectalayers as my external editors for Reaper. I personally liked Recycle but haven't seen any updates of warez version in years!

More lightweight options already mentioned. NCH Wavepad, Wave Purity, Recycle (no updates in years), Goldwave, DC Forencsics.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  19. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Lots of interesting advices but nothing beats the lightness and features of Wavosaur. If you want better looking GUI OCENaudio editor is pretty good looking and has nice features.

Personally I use Wavosaur with Reaper since its release. Incredible editor, small, fast, easy to install.

20. seml

seml Ultrasonic

Littlebit limited in this case... But i LOVE Fl-Edison.
    Got the thing maybe 6 times on my crap channel.
    Why i like it is that you can drag n drop from and to your daw. (or between instances of edison.. undo is kinda eeeeuh well 1x LOL)
    And it got tools for eq etc...
    But again its not THE best editor but for my workflow extremly fast,.

Edit: I still dont understand why there arent more audio editors that run AS a vst...
    Well cant have it all i guess... (im spoiled :) )

21. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

yep. forget about EDISON, and it's a VST as well.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List