Which reverb would you sell and which you'd keep?

Discussion in 'Software' started by 4096, Apr 16, 2024.

1. 4096

4096 Producer

Hi, everyone! I want to sell off some of my reverbs, but have a hard time deciding which ones to sell. I primarily make synth-based music (synthwave, synthpop), also sometimes make beats.

I have a weird toolbox:
    Relab Sonsig Rev A
    Relab LX480 Essentials
    Liquidsonics HD Cart
    Native Instruments Raum
    Wave Alchemy Glow, Radiance, Dawn
    Softube Wasted Space
    Softube TSAR-1R

Sonsig is my go-to. It works well and is quick, I got it for under 38, which seems like a good price. After comparing it to other reverbs I had (and didn't have), not a single one can replicate that tail of Sonsig. I don't know how they did it, but it sounds great and different from all the other reverbs.

HD Cart is a weird one. I got it for a very good price (cheaper than sonsig), but it is nothing to write home about to me. It's great, but its' character is not particularly unique imo. The problem is, it does what it does well, great layout, lots of features - it's just a great Lexicon hall sound toolbox. But definitely not essential, and I still prefer the sound of Sonsig overall.

The biggest issue is if I ever go with the Liquidsonics upgrades, I think the company isn't going to be happy. I purchased HD Cart from a guy who had a discount, which he wasn't supposed to share. I'm afraid they might even take my license away (they say that it's not allowed to sell these discounted licenses). I'm probably just being anxious over nothing, but still.

Raum, TSAR-1R, Wasted Space, LX480 Essentials - cheap (less than $5) or freebies, not selling. Wasted Space was my biggest disappointment. I just wish it didn't have that bit rate function. It's unusable for me because of that. Raum is the greatest one of these, LX480 close second, TSAR for adding a room atmosphere.

I'd actually advise everyone to buy LX480 Essentials for $5-8 as their first reverb. Just too good to pass up.

Wave Alchemy stuff is where the money is... Glow, despite being a "IR in a nice UI" is my favourite one. Dawn and Radiance I bought just because I didn't have a plate reverb and these two sounded decent.

I'd just sell HD Cart. Nothing that special, even though it's good. Relab support also were nice to me and addressed my issues with Sonsig, so I don't really want to sell that one now.

In any case, Sonsig, WA reverbs and the free ones cover everything I could possibly need. And for more algo stuff I have all the great stock logic ones. Chromaverb can sound almost the same as Vintage Verb, but also has a better interface.

I'm not planning on purchasing any other plugins (probably in the next year, that's why I spent the money now to have them in my toolbox forever). Funnily enough, Logic stock stuff is so good I haven't bought a lot of 3rd party stuff except for reverbs. I do have some Softube stuff which I technically got for free, but it's a long story...

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i would sell all of the ones you have listed bcs im using Arts Acoustic Reverb, EOS 1 and 2, WaveArts Masterverb6, and valhallaDSP reverbs. They simply work great and the variety is there. (also they are easy to update and work like a charm.)

dont forget your DAW stock reverbs are also quite good.

4. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Keep 'em all, and buy some more! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

why? if OP doesnt like and use them, why not sell them? also buying more doesnt really help, because it will lead into hoarding and unproductivity maybe.

6. 4096

4096 Producer

Exactly. I realised, frankly, that while plugins are great, money is more important :guru:

I do have to say, that I got all my bases covered. Buying plugins for the sake of buying plugins is overly unproductive.

7. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

I would keep Relab Sonsig Rev A since it's your favourite and Raum since it's free.
    Selling or uninstalling the others could be beneficial for your workflow and creativity.

Could you explain to me how different they sound from each other ?
    1: I've never heard about Sonsig.
    2: $150 price difference.

Watching sound engineers unable to tell Valhalla VintageVerb and Bricasti M7 appart in a mix always made me laugh.

I only use Raum and the Reverb from Shaperbox 3.
    I can't explain why Raum sound so good to me, it's bonkers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. sneakz

sneakz Member

i agree, i started using raum a few months ago. its my goto reverb now, really love the modulation in it :thumbsup:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Kapellmeister

Sarcasm

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. hamidkarimi

hamidkarimi Noisemaker

You should see what kind of sound you need, but in digital you can create unique reverbs. The IR technology works very well too. However, none of these are like recording in a real environment like Abbey Road Studio.

11. hamidkarimi

hamidkarimi Noisemaker

I have never visited studios outside of Iran, but I listen to their productions.

12. hamidkarimi

hamidkarimi Noisemaker

Altiverb and Waves plugins are excellent.

13. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

i'd get rid of any of those that someone will pay a fair price for. For me, I like Altiverb7 (because 8 is too expensive for now), fabfilter pro-r2, it can also load IRs. Valhalla, PSP have nice Lexicon "inspired" ones, All the Lexicon 32 bit reverbs, Arturia Rev Intensity, LX24, plate-140 and spring 636. I sometimes use the silly Old School Verb from Voxengo, NI/Softube RC24 and RC48, D16 Group Toraverb 2. Waves Manny Maroquin. And Black Rooster's spring and plate, some BR are free.

And all the Logic ones. Sometimes I even hit the Option key to unhide the legacy plugins, and there are PlatinumVerb and GoldVerb.

There is no shortage of nice reverbs, I really wouldn't miss any of them. From one to the next, you are basically splitting hairs. If the difference is that obvious to you, you are probably using too much reverb anyway.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  15. stavt

stavt Guest

Buy only if you end up using in a song

16. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Man, I realized I missed the whole shitshow from 2cAudio due to pandemic and not updating systems... what a fuckjob for customers... and I was in their ecosystem and I used some of their creative reverbs on projects and it's been awhile obviously, but I did like them and found them bringing me places some others didn't...

But the 2 main guys got in it at each other, and it seems the company is dead... after so many people spent a fair amount of money getting into it...

just goes to show I guess... sigh.

I've got other reverbs, but they had a nice" once in awhile" (or sometimes often) touch to them...