Which reverb do you prefer between VSTi and DAW?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Wolfang, Jan 20, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

Most VSTi provide built-in reverb as well as DAW. Which one do you prefer?
    If you use both of them, do you think it could ruin the sound?

3. Semarus

Semarus Kapellmeister

Well, the real question is, which do YOU prefer for your music?
    Generally I don't use any reverbs that are built into VSTs, especially the ones on Kontakt instruments, because I have a variety of different reverb plugins that I like to use, and I like having as much control as possible. Being able to sculpt your sounds at every stage in the signal chain makes mixing easier later.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

Valhalla vsts all the way for me.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I use both. I will usually setup 2 reverb Sends in my Session. 1 short, and one long. I do not strip down every synth sound I make so they do not have effects from the synthesizer. Not even close, some synths have very characteristic effects that I want recorded also. This does not change what channels I send to a 3rd Party (or DAW stock) Reverb plugin. If the synth sound is already FX'd when recorded, I just simply send less % of that channel to the Session Reverbs. Reverb is always one of the more CPU intensive plugins, so I try to stick to the 2 main ones I setup initially. Letting your synths do some of the work can save some CPU and add some layers of distance.

This is also why if I Bounce-In-Place anything, I always make filenames which reflect that the sample is now wet with something. So maybe my snare bounce is Snare1RevCompEQ, and it takes a extra second to do; but I do not end up re-processing things again. Compression is my main effect I do not want accidentally happening twice, no matter what. " A little extra reverb" on a guitar, drums, or a vocal can be really undesirable; but on a synth patch is much less a problem.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Semarus

Semarus Kapellmeister

I agree that some synths, usually VA emulations of something classic (not a hard rule) have a characteristic reverb that is worth preserving. I also use an early and late reverb for sends, so I'll usually back off what reverb is on a synth a bit to compensate for the amount of reverb I want everything else to sit in. All personal preference of course.
    I'm a fan of Seventh Heaven, sometimes Cinematic Rooms for early reflections, and Quantum 2772 Evolution for the tail.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  7. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

I must say that I tried quite a few including some of the most expensive ones and I always return to the Valhalla ones for some reason.
    The plate and Vintage Reverb one

Easy to dial in and with great result.

I'm sure I'm missing something in the Briscatti emulation as a lot of people rave about it but it's just not making it for me or I don't know where to start to get something as usable as the 2 previously mentioned.

Talking about that, I think I'll give a shot at the ReLab LX480 as I've never tried it and saw quite a few people falling in love with it.

8. peezy666

peezy666 Ultrasonic

Lately I been using best service halls of fame 3. The briscati impulses I like better then the seventh heaven

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

MasterVerb 5 for reverse gate plate on claps, gate FX on drums.
    Valhalla Vintage for Pianos, Plucks - for long tails (AAR works here too)
    Ableton Reverb for Lead sounds, short verbs.

It just works.

(Ofc i have more Reverbs installed, but these are to go ones.)

10. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

I really like strange reverbs for soundesing, like kentaro's particle reverb or that new TAILS from Unfiltered Audio. And then valhallas for the butter and bread reverb tasks.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  11. tori

tori Platinum Record

I mostly want to keep most of the VSTi effects, because often they fit really good. I'm tweaking them a little to fit for my needs of course. Only the reverb and delay are often a little problematic, so I change them most of the time with external FX... I'm a delay idiot, so I use mostly the FL Studio or Cubase stock delay.... .-. And for reverbs NI Raum or the Valhallas are my Favs...