Which Plugin Alliance plugins did not impress you?

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by MBC_Music, Feb 5, 2024.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

ah seems I mislead you all,
    I didn't mean to throw shitload of plugins to "compensate" entire channel strip, but rather limit the tools to actual plugin processing needed,
    if 1 simple plugin can make the change in audio I need, it makes little sense to load up whole channel strip with most of its control untouched/bypassed,
    that said I often don't even use gate or compressor or EQ on everything, especially not trying to "compete" tracks against busses clashing channel strips into each other makes zero sense too

2. The Retro Bassist

The Retro Bassist Member

I can only talk for me, but I think it's because topics like this one are "safer" to start participating in convos here in the forum than, say, a topic where a clearly troubled individual complains about teams not cracking the plugins he craves or another topic where another individual accuses a team of being fake with no proof whatsoever lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. daval

daval Ultrasonic

NEOLD is THE BEST of ALL

i think PA 2023 releases are pretty impressive.

bx_clipper is my go-to clipper now
    Silver Bullet has been on my master bus since day 1, BETTERMAKER Bus Comp for clean VCA drum comp
    i also like the tape saturation from harris doyle DSCEQ as well as the drive section from VAC Attack

4. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Silver bullet is a bit crusher. What happens with tails? It is like it is 15 bit or so :D it is the only reason I will not use it...only after bitcrushing fix.
    Yeah, i like its 2 easter eggs (editing model serial number and AIR switch)

5. daval

daval Ultrasonic

I don't quite understand what you said...you mean it has bitcrushing bug?

6. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

Well i guess it depends on the style of music you're making.
    i like to change the transients, EQing and add saturation to most of my tracks. CSs also useful for volume automation.
    But is just a matter of taste i guess...

7. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

When use on master, before limiter, I always get bitcrushed tails, low-level, quantization errors, noise, distortions. Dithering will not rescue this. Just render this with high bit depth and see in RX what happens with quiet places. Or just listen too loud. Looks like this bitcrushes your sound to 16 bit, then you work with spoiled stuff.
    More headroom on silver bullet, the worse and noisier tails.
    Less headroom - more saturation and distortion.

8. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Just some random loop. Left some silent in between. Then I applied the FX (LTL Silver Bullet), rendered at 32Bit. Source is 44.1kHz 24bit. Upsampled to 48kHz project. Rendered to 48khz 32Bit.

What to see here ?

upload_2024-2-7_9-23-56.png

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

if an effects plugin changes the sound of the file by bit reduction in a processor; how would that be reflected in the rendered file? it would be visible only within the actual waveform. No form of audible distortion will be visible in the region on that track. If you export it, it will be 1 contiguous file.

10. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

THIS -->

:dunno:

11. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

other than what i said, in general i almost never need to use multi-band compression; thats like a last resort, desperate measures solution for me

12. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

perhaps this person is talking about the "circuit bent" options. maybe they have them on by accident

13. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

The Mojo C has Bitmaker 1200 which is SP1200 emu and almost certainly includes bitcrushing too. I need to make sure about this problem, I think atleast 30+ tracks gone out with it. No complaint from clients so far. ME also didnt say anything, if he detects it, he will tell me, even a simple little problem, bro is OCD af, cant get past him I think. I didnt use the Circuit Bend or the Bitmaker 1200 on them, only Mojo A & N plus some other things.

14. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

yah i dont think its doing anything weird either, ive been using it a lot lately. im actually thinking of buying the hardware.

15. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Do not follow, sorry. I mix completely in the box and never even tracked a recording instrument with any plugin, cause it's destructive this way.

16. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

I completely agree that just looking at the plugin in PluginDoctor does not tell you which plugin is better. Just informs you what the plugin is actually doing which can be useful.

17. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

Thank you for the great detailed post. Exactly what this thread needs. I weirdly agree with everything you mentioned. Never really liked the Focusrite channel (compared to all other channel strips).

I think I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like any bx_channel strips other than Amek 9099 and SSL 9000J. Problem is I have found a better alternative to both. The SSL Native 2 and Amethyst 4 or the new VoostEQ Neve strip.

I really like the way black box sounds but it is definitely clunky to use. Not so bad I won't use it.

Lindell 80 is a disappointment but the API strip is decent.

18. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

Completely fair. Mixing with channel strips hugely improved my results because it taught me to mix with my ears. The SSL strips from PA are decent if you can get them for $20 like I did. Doesn't seems like you can easily do that anymore with coupons. I HATE the partnership between PA and NI. Can't wait until I have to use NI licenses instead of PA :no:

19. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

I don't use channel strips to fix issues. I use them to mix and fit sounds/instruments and it makes that job a lot quicker. I completely agree with where you're coming from.

20. Qiloo

Qiloo Ultrasonic

Just tried the Cenozoix Compressor and oh boy...just another waste of space in my opinion. Such a promising plugin considering Kirchhoff's features. This is an example of why many people (including myself) have lost faith in PA since their studio flooded.

This plugin looks very versatile, except it's not. The ergonomics are terrible and the different emulations lack punch and color compared to other existing plugins. Perhaps this wasn't intended as a workhorse compressor with a fast workflow like Pro-C2 or Presswerk, but as a very very advanced compressor for specific cases where audio isn't in the best conditions.

Let me know your opinion in case you get to try it, I might be missing something.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List