Which Plugin Alliance plugins did not impress you?

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by MBC_Music, Feb 5, 2024.

1. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

Fabfilter.

2. clone

clone Audiosexual

Dan Worrall may not be one of them, but there are some people who prefer the Kirchhoff EQ to Pro-Q3.

Are there any other PA plugins which you can replace any of their plugins with, or suggest there are better PA equivalents?

It should be easy since there aren't 200 of them that you don't need.

3. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

It's funny ppl saying UAD is Better .. have you actually checked any of these in plugin doctor.. the pultec has little to no harmonics .. voice of God lol I'm not even gonna go there

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

Does anyone need a picture on a screen to know which of 2 plugins sounds better? Does one characteristic of a plugin illustrated in a picture determine what plugins someone might use? Does someone seeing distortion, aliasing, saturation which they misinterpret as "desirable harmonics" know which to use? What if they like a "cleaner" plugin for the task? What if the less accurate emulation of a hardware unit actually sounds "better"?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. eli91

eli91 Ultrasonic

Been scrolling through PA's products for a while - there aren't that many ones that impress me, but also there are few that dissapoint me. They tend to be kinda mid, in a good way. There are functional, usually well thought out, and, while I can come up with better alternatives to almost all of them (except for the Unfiltered ones, which I've NEVER used in a significant way and yet they are so lovable), I still use them quite often.

There's also a point to make about the learning curve, maybe. I potentially love some plugins like the AMEK Mastering Console or the Oven, but they are SO confusing and the manuals don't make it easier on you.

Ok, so the major dissapointments for me:
    • bx_console Focusrite. I mean, everyone seems to hate the bx_enhancer and the Focusrite is just so similar to me. Some ultra-basic digital EQ curves, some unimpressive dynamics section and an unimpressive de-esser. I still like their AMEK 9099, though.
    • I've tried to love Kirchhoff, I really have, but IT KEEPS CRASHING ON ME :( PLEASE, I JUST WANT TO HAVE A NICE ALTERNATIVE TO THE PRO-Q THAT DOESN'T DESTROY MY WHOLE PROJECT :(
    • I know people love the Black Box and it doesn't sound bad, but the workflow is atrocious and there are so, so many alternatives out there. I dislike most PA's saturation plugins, really. Even the elysia ones are just meh.
    • The Lindell 80 is harsh sometimes. Like really harsh. I like their 50 Series, but their Neve emulations are just a pass for me.

I must say: after reading the univocal hate against the TOMO LISA in this thread I've been looking at the plugin and I have sincere curiosity. It seems to be as funny as incomprehensible!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I was like...WOW when that crushing wave of PA plugins can barreling onto the sister site's beach. I installed them all, and as I checked each one out opened up Revo Uninstaller and ditched them one by one (which took a bit of wasted time to accomplish). I think that I've learned my lesson and will never do that again.

7. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

If that's the point, it's easier to list which *not* to avoid.

DearVR
    Dmitry Sches
    Kiive
    Unfiltered Audio
    That's about it.

If for free, one can also find use for ADPTR, Elysia (boy do I have a bridge to sell to those who own the hardware), SPL, LTL and Maag.

8. franksq98

franksq98 Member

I got bx_console Focusrite but I find it very nice, idk :/

Anyway, if you want a good digital linear phase eq with dynamic capabilities try TB_FlX4, which is also free.

I have got the LISA EQ and it's impressive. The GUI is scary but once that you understand it's not that more difficult to use than a generic dynamic EQ

9. eli91

eli91 Ultrasonic

Oh, I didn't mean that the Focusrite was bad! It's nice and I know it's well-loved, but I find it somewhat uninspiring. For instance, I like how the 9099 lets you shape the sounds with those wild EQ curves + the combination of compressor and clipper; and I don't get that kind of excitement when I open the Focusrite. It doesn't mean that the 9099 is better (arguably it's easier to get some good sounds out of the Focusrite), just that, if I had to buy one bx console, I'd go for an Amek or an SSL just because I find them less generic.

I'll definitely check the LISA, the interface doesn't even look THAT scary once you've stared at it for a while.

10. The Retro Bassist

The Retro Bassist Member

Also IMO the Purple Audio MC 77 is a great 1176 plugin with its own flavor, people are kinda sleeping on it.

11. Qiloo

Qiloo Ultrasonic

They just released this. Looks legit coming from Kirchhoff...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

pfff went through whole PA page, so:
    Kirchhoff EQ - once I learned it has only analog curves instead of saturation, it quickly became obsolete
    any channel strip - because why limit yourself to mediocre processing chain when you can pick whatever individual plugins you want nowadays
    any EQ - because they have so unimpressive unfriendly UX
    any "utility" category plugins - because why pay (couple) hundred bucks for things that don't really matter, or are available in DAW directly
    any "guitar & bass" or "pedal" stuff - because I'm not a guitarist to begin with
    iZotope & Native Instruments stuff (under PA branding now) - because they're mediocre

that said, that's just my opinion :chilling:

13. The Retro Bassist

The Retro Bassist Member

Watched the whole video ealier today and all I could think was "oh boy, I can't wait to listen/see Dan Worrall ripping the people from TBTECH again!" :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

because it's easier, faster, and probably the sound is gonna be in the background so no one's gonna notice if you used 1 channel strip or used a huge chain with thousands of plugins...
    i mean i makes sense to not use a channel strip in a prominent vocal, but channel strips are also useful!! sometimes i rather just open 1 plugin and solve everything in it. Not to mention CPU!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

As a normal PA fanboi would, I'm excited about the CENOZOIX. It's looking great. I like this type compressor plugin, one that can do all. Also big fan of TBTECH Cabinetron, that shit is just unbeatable. Could be a good to pair it with my go-to DMG TrackComp, A.O.M Nu Comp, Pro-C2 and Tiger.

One more thing just to share. The new Bettermaker Bus Compressor is kinda good to be an alternative to API/SSL style compressor. It is feedforward topology (sadly no FB mode), capable of really snappy comp and the overall compression is quite accurate and super clean without any unwanted artifact. Turning off the THD will remove ALL saturation, ALL compression artifact, it's even cleaner than the DAW stock compressor. It's as clean as Pro-C2 on "Mastering" mode that emits 0 saturation and artifact.

What makes it more unique compared to other VCA Bus compressor is, the saturation generated (THD) isn't the usual odd-order harmonics like every other VCA Bus comp, it generates even-order heavy saturation pattern, tube-like, FET-like sat that overall should make things a little warmer and pleasant. It's true to the hardware it models.

upload_2024-2-7_2-7-53.png

The hardware tech spec, look at the THD, it showing the 2nd & 4th (even) order harmonic is stronger than the 3rd (odd) :

upload_2024-2-7_2-5-33.png

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

"Mediocre processing chain" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wonder, why someone would need something more than a eq (and HP and LP filters), a compressor, a preamp and gate on a insert mic channel.
    I mean, why spend so much time and cpu to build chains for insert mics when CS exists just for that reason?

17. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Toneboosters?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Lots of newbies in this thread. Wonder why.

Maybe cause it's not the only place plugins go to?
    And most software users don't work with this kind of channels at all.

19. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

IIRC, you're quite good at it. :winker:

20. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

You're totally right.