Which Plugin Alliance plugins did not impress you?

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by MBC_Music, Feb 5, 2024.

1. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

Yeah that was kind of my point as well. But if someone sends you a compressed to crap mix and tells you to master it (no questions asked) I wouldn't grab the bx_limiter true peak before Pro L-2. For tougher circumstances I think there are much better options than bx. For regular use I'm sure it's fine.

2. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

DSM V3 sounds like such a cool idea, but I don't really get the point in practice.

I guess it's only really useful for individual stems where you can use a reference to get a compression curve and then apply that compression curve to your track?

I could be completely wrong but I watched some tutorials to try to figure out how to use it in more situations.

I'm with you on the old Brainworx reverb and delay. Daws stock effects are far superior nowadays.

3. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

Is there some brand where you like ALL the plugins? It's very unlikely.
    Dat being said, i'm a PA fanboy :rofl: Just don't dig the synths and the amps (none of them). And the bx_limiter sounds like a modern revision of Waves L2.

There are lots of plugins that i don't use very often, but they are good tools (and secret weapons that no one talks about or wish others to know). It's one of the few companies that for me is very hard to dislike a plugin, next to Fabfilter and Fuse Audio Labs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  4. The Retro Bassist

The Retro Bassist Member

That's funny, I lke their bass amps a lot. The Ampeg V4B is my go-to amp sim, so much that lately I've been forcing myself to use other plugins to diversify a little.

And I think I'm a PA fanboy as well :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

Most of them don't impress me since all they do is sell uninspired emulations & shovelware with "pretty" UIs.

NEOLD is a standout I guess. Few plugs are passable. Brainworx in general is just awful though, dunno what people see in them :dunno:

6. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

Tokyo Dawn Labs hasn't made a single plugin I dislike.

I only USE a few U-he synths but imo all their software is top quality.

Polyverse, Klanghelm & apulSoft are up there. oeksound is great but only has 2 plugs. Valhalla is good but honestly stock plugins work well enough for that kind of FX, EXCEPT for their Plate reverb which sounds gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2024
  7. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

Curious why many of you are choosing the Lindell SBC over the MBC? The MBC has all the same options but is way more versatile.

8. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

I like the Ampeg Bass amps and the Buxom Betty is quite good. I really don't care for the rest of the amp sims though. I think a lot of them are made by Nembrini.

9. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

You're correct but I just lumped them together in my mind. Sometimes I want the simplicity of the SBC but MBC is the same quality.

10. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

If you find them useful for your work that's what matters! Still I think some are much better than others due to differences in manufacturer quality.

11. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Haven't come across anything by Brainworx that interests me.

12. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

Here maybe:

13. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

haha its funny how much opinions differ in our little corner of the web. I LOVE their synths. well, at least three of them. Unfiltered Audio Lion, DS Audio Thorn, and Knifonium. All three are very unique compared to other synths. I agree with you about the amps although i did recently get the ampeg bass amp, and its quite good.

14. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

You missed something in my post. I wrote "Please explain to me how Kirchoff EQ ***as a whole*** is snake oil.

I've watched this video. It doesn't demonstrate that Kirchoff EQ is snake oil "as a whole". Plenty of plugins have inaccuracies.

The analog models in Kirchoff EQ are inaccurate to their analog counterparts. In fact they're so inaccurate the didn't even include the harmonic distortion caused by those models, except that was intentional. Also the 117 bit mode is nonsense. You don't have to use the analog curve shapes or the 117 bit processing luckily and it still serves as a perfectly fine digital EQ. As a digital EQ it is not snake oil. If the main selling point was the analog curves, I would think less of it.

I don't use the analog band shapes in Kirchoff. I would just use an analog EQ modeled after the hardware for that.

"Snake oil is a term used to describe deceptive marketing"

At worst Kirchoff EQ is partially snake oil.

As with a ton of other plugins I can think of off the top of my head.

15. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

I really like Thorn 2. Can't think of an exact replacement for it.

16. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

Also, I really don't understand at all why they wouldn't include saturation modes in the EQ. Wouldn't they want to set themselves further apart from Pro Q 3 and be a truly unique EQ, potentially the best value on the market?

If they're gonna include analog curves (albeit inaccurate), why tf would you then say "Naa man it's a digital EQ it doesn't need saturation"

Makes no sense.

Luckily the dynamic EQ section is great. Only reason to use this over Pro Q3 imo.

17. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Tokyo Dawn Labs, FabFilter (yes the small ones too), u-He, DMG Audio, Newfangled Audio, Eventide Audio, Audio Damage, Sonic Charge, AudioThing, Audiomodern, D16 Group, Goodhertz, I can keep on going and going.
    PA is in the same category as waevs, and only due to some great third-party plugins they publish. Otherwise it would've been right there in the dumpster with slaet degetol and UAD softcrapware.

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

Fabfilter.

19. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

This somehow turned into "which company makes the best plugins". That's not really the point.

If you own both PA and other companies you like more and have compared the plugins, consider including which PA plugin you have found a better replacement for from another company.

I kinda want to help people avoid buying the nonsense PA plugins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. clone

clone Audiosexual

Then you should make a list of the ones actually worth buying. Way shorter list.