Which one do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Hooman.Leys, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

3. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Not sure if you can really compare them, true thing is it's both Avalons so... I would chose the VT737 especially If I dont have other hardware, because of the versatility it have. You dont get an Avalon pre-amp only, you also get EQ+Comp. No match to me!

4. Hooman.Leys

do you have any suggestion? (other company's even)

5. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

I meant, they are both from the same very well known great brand, but one is only a Mic Preamp (so maybe it does that better) and the other one is more hybrid/multi-purpose. But from the point of view "Avalon = Good shiet anyways", I'll just say go for the VT737 altough I only know the M5 IRL and I know it's one of those "must have hardware jewels" apparently...

And the "not sure if you can compare them" part was because its not two Mic pre amps, the VT737 does more things...

6. What microphones are you using and for what applications are you using them for? Is it specifically for vocals, instruments or are your needs for a generally purpose pre that will be good for everything and not for something specific?

7. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

about 5 yrs ago I finaced the M5 that unit is amazing, I ended up selling it a yr later to pay bills man I regret it still! Go with M5 for sure

8. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I kinda doubt you're for real here.
    Any semi-reputable dealership will let you try stuff like this in your studio with your mics and your workflow before you buy it.
    Speaking of which - considering the track you posted earlier this week, I don't know if you will get the best bang for the buck with high-end equipment.
    The question which one we prefer makes little sense, or do you want to buy it for us?

Ah, and while we're at it, do you guys prefer neve or ssl? Or do you have any other suggestion for a console between 50000-100000$?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2016
  9. Since my needs are few in regard to track count, I guess that I could live with...
    http://vintageking.com/emi-abbey-road-redd-37-historic-beatles-console

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Avalon compression is highly respected. There are lots of excellent pre-amps for that kind of money. Depends on which tools you want for your applications. Also, one is tube circuitry and the other is not. For easy vocal processing, the combo is very nice. Will it ever be used live? I saw Ruben Blades a few years ago and the FOH guy was running an Avalon on Ruben's vocals. He said it belonged to Ruben.

11. Hooman.Leys

i have 2 mic's
    Shure KSM27
    Rode NT1000

i need it mostly for vocal.

12. Hooman.Leys

Thank you for your advice,
    i hope you will get it again a.s.a.p :)

13. Hooman.Leys

What are you talking about ? :wtf: what do you mean? :-|
    Please stop judging other's :)
    If you are looking for likes or something like that go and find FB or Insta....etc

14. Just an idea to try to help you gain advantage, to have the best possible vocal chain with the amount of the high end of your budget of $2500. If you are willing to buy used you can perhaps up the quality without sacrificing longevity or performance. I do not know where you live so it makes it a little harder to make suggestions, but here goes....

First off, sell the Shure KSM27. It is an just an OK mic and nothing very special, and unless you just adore it on your voice and cannot live without it, it just needs to go. The few hundred dollars that you can get for it can go into other tools that will take you where you need to go. If you will be recording others it is good to have choices, and the NT1000 might be good with singers that have lots of chest in their voices as the NT1000 has a tendency (as you must well know) of being sibilant and harsh on high frequency sources, but with the right voice it could be very fine. Of the two, this one is the keeper.

So, I picked the Daking Mic Pre/EQ ($1099) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicPreEQ and
    Microtech Gefell UMT70 S ($1,5280) http://vintageking.com/gefell-umt70s-fet#description

This brings you a few hundred dollars over your stated budget, but after selling the Shure you are golden. Do a little research which should tell you that the Gefell is amazing, the M7 capsule sounding fantastic on so many sources and beating up on a Neumann U87 if you go by many sources, including my own. The Daking combo in mic pre/eq is world class, and for the time being you can compress in the box until you can buy a Warm Audio WA2A or WA76, or both.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Hooman.Leys

Dear superliquidsunshine
    Thank you for your help, specially your advice about microphone,
    i'm living in Cyprus.
    the good news ! i find the shop here in my city to buy some staff and i can pay them Installments monthly, so i can buy the good microphone :)
    what about these: ?
    http://www.nakas.gr/prd/neumann-u-87-ai-mt-studio-set-condenser-microphone-black
    http://www.nakas.gr/prd/neumann-u-87-ai-studio-set-condenser-microphone-nickel

they have these mic's in stock:
    http://www.nakas.gr/cat/professional-sound-wired-mics?rf=1

16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I was thinking the same thing. A mediocre mic into a high-end preamp? Thats kind of like putting a 4 cylinder engine into a mazerati.

17. stevejobs.haha

stevejobs.haha Member

18. I checked out the store that you had left the link for. Your choices are fairly limited for microphones as well as for preamps. Now I know why you were talking about the Avalon.

19. There are better microphones for less money as well as preamps. It is great that you can pay for the microphone in installments, but €2,500 could be better spent if you could shop for your stuff someplace else. Anyway, that U87ai or the Blue Blue Bottle with a cardioid capsule would be the two to try on your voice before making a decision. The Avalon M5 is really your only choice in preamp. Too bad you feel the need to buy them at that store.

20. Hooman.Leys

Unfortunately there is no way to test them :sad:
    Dear superliquidsunshine you spend your time for me,
    Thanks a lot :bow:

i hope i make right decision about that with your helps.

21. The U87 has been used on thousands of records and you will be able to sell it for a good price later on if you no longer are using it. The Avalon M5 will make it sound as good as it can possibly be. Good luck with your work!