Which Of these does logic Use?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vincent Price, May 16, 2024.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

Hello

I am wondering, which of these does Logic Pro use if any?

These (see photos) are VST & VST3. I know Logic uses AU but does it use any of these VST'S?

The reason I am asking if because I am clearing out for storage, and only using Logic Pro, can't see the point of keeping the files if they are not needed by the DAW

Thank you

Attached Files:

3. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Logic uses neither of those, as you noticed they are VSTs indeed.

AUs are identified as macOS system components (".component"), they should be in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/

4. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

There's a few AU's that call the VST and will break if you delete the VST - be careful.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. zpaces

zpaces Producer

That's b/s, bro.
    Logic will NEVER use one of these VST formats, neither do the .components.

I deleted ALL VST and VST3 files.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

He is correct. Acustica did this with a few, and you can read about it in R2R nfo files. As an example. The AU is almost nothing but a wrapper.

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

um, ok... @dkny is right... and well, you might have some problems down the road as there are absolutely some AU's/components that refer to their VST brethren.

Not uncommon.

And clone is right, au is pretty much a wrapper for a vst and depending on the protocol and what is adhered to, can or cannot do certain things, (like some of the earlier problems with AU's not being able to properly send midi or whatever)...

Logic may not use VST's, but the components you are running in there sometimes absolutely do.

And deleting them all is opening up a possible can of crap fail.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

I delete them all anyway, religiously. I go into /avid, and /digidesign, and /clap, /vst, /vst3, and any other places a developer might stick a copy.

If you look at an .pkg installer in Suspicious Package app, you can see where it will send all the copies to. Like Pacifist but less annoying.

You can run VST and VST3 plugins inside Logic via Bluecat's Patchwork, and some other wrappers. I just don't see a reason to have duplicates of stuff eating up SSD space.

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

I definitely dump the avid/digi stuff.

There are different operational reasons I need vst options in addition to au etc.. and whatever, I'm not installing a lot of stuff, and if something was big, I'd rethink that policy for myself on a per item basis.

and I'm not sure if it's fixed or not with some recent logic upgrades and changes in AU spec or different versions, probably has been, and looking at some strides the new logic has made with routing midi and whatnot etc... but things like sugar-bytes Thesys and xfers Cthulhu really sucked using as components as wouldn't send out midi to another source...

10. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I installed a plugin yesterday that would not let me deselect "VST" in the installation process. I assumed that the other plugin formats available (like AU, CLAP, and all that) required it. Maybe I assumed correctly for once.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Nah your post is BS. Try looking inside an Arturia AudioUnit..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. BlossomwoodsCollection

BlossomwoodsCollection Ultrasonic

I always get rid of the AAX under App Support -> Avid, but I always keep the VST/VST3. Except for a few companies, such as Native Instruments, where I only keep the components cuz the VSTS seem to give me problems with Plugindoctor/Metaplugin scanning.

And oh yeah, if you use Metaplugin that's just another reason to keep VST/VST3 installed, even if your only DAW is Logic.

13. zpaces

zpaces Producer

Everything is working fine!

14. Slavestate

Does anybody here use the Korg Collection at all?? I wonder if their AudioUnits do too (I use Cubase so cant test em).. Korg's VST3s pull their graphics and whatnot from the VST2 plugins, there's no extra copy of the VST2 hidden in there, but it links all of the graphics from the plugin. If you delete the VST2s, you get a generic slider interface instead of the GUI when you open one of the VST3s, heh.

15. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Two things: first, you can take a look inside a component / bundle by right/ctrl+clicking and picking "show package contents...", that way you can see if the plugin has the resources (graphics and presets and whatnot) included or not. Also I'd imagine the size would be a dead giveaway.

But as there's various bits of info and opinions here, it might be a good idea to back those plugin files up before deleting them, and then trying them out.

16. Albert Seguir

Albert Seguir Noisemaker

I have the whole Arturia X collection installed. Deleted all the VST, VST3 (and the whole avid folder) in audio/ plug-ins folders.. and all the VST and VST3 in the Arturia/folders.. only kept the components(AU)..
    Everything works great.

what I’m I missing here?

Btw, I use S1 and not Logic.. don’t think that’s has anything to do with anything.. cause I did the same 2-3 years ago with Logic and had no problems.

17. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Yes, the early Korg ones do this. It's easy to see since the VST versions are like 80MB and the AU versions are like 4MB.
    And the AU's won't work if you delete the VSTS.

(It's not that common anymore, and it's only a small subset of plugins that behave like this currently. But they do exist.)

No, it's quite correct, you just don't have the knowledge or respect to say "Oh, that's interesting, I've never come across those but I will bear it in mind in case that happens in the future - thanks for the headsup".

You're welcome, BTW.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Slavestate

Look INSIDE the AudioUnit. There's a VST3 in there its 'wrapping' to make an AU.

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

Or "Are you sure about that?"... Some people seem to think that adding quotes from Google means you needed to Google something. Really it is a pre-emptive way to shoot down whatever incorrect information would be incoming. Saves time typing.

I do not see it as "best practice" or "good work by a developer", when they slam an AU inside a wrapper. That is a hack-job, shoddy way to "port" a Windows versions to their Mac customer; if anything.

20. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Exactly, and I'd be happy to post more evidence that this is true if someone isn't sure of something I'm saying.

Not sure what you mean here. I'm posting from direct first-hand experience.

Absolutely agree. However, I'm simply commenting on the way things are with some plugins, and what to do about it, rather than simply wishing things were different.

I hate having VSTs around, but and at least for the ones I have, I know which are required, and which can be safely deleted (when the installer doesn't give an option of what formats to install). I also know enough to be wary, and I'll generally have a check of the plugin sizes if I'm not sure which is usually a good clue.

Like I say, it doesn't happen often, but there are still plugins that work like this.

21. clone

clone Audiosexual

About google quotes, I mean that adding something to an "Are you sure?" kind of reply can work when you think someone is wrong. BS'ing is not the same thing as making a mistake or having incorrect info to base a statement on. GPT will be even better for someone who wants to argue. Go talk to the AI->

There are still some plugins unavailable in AU format. Viper may be pc-only for good reason, but many of them are not.