Which mix sounds better?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RMorgan, Mar 24, 2019.

1. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Oh, by the way, how's my English? It's not my native language, as you might have guessed. Any constructive criticism in this area? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  2. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Your ringlieesh ess fynh. Eastern European accents are sexy. I think you have a fantastic voice and you use it well especially in the second song.

About the uke, try capturing it off axis and experiment with what can tame a bit of its strident tone. If you have a different mic, one that is a figure 8, try that as well as using a couple for either stereo or using true mid/side as opposed to a plugin that does that kind of processing. Also a little reverb that you can play with the frequencies could warm it up and compensate for the lack of lows in your project. Too, you could use proximity effect, get up close and friendly instead of hitting your voice with eq (yuck) to add low end. Or, take the uke and double it and add some in with it down an octave. Can you tell I'm missing some low end? I also don't think that you need to pan the uke. The arrangement is so spare that it would come across more naturally if what I heard in the speakers or headphones was more of what I would hear if I was sitting in front of you listening to you playing and singing.

3. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Thanks man, I really appreciate it...I'm South American, by the way, not Eastern European. lol

Yep, I've been struggling to capture the soul of the uke. It's a very small instrument, so moving the mic half an inch makes a huge difference. It's hard to get a truly balanced sound...Either it gets too boomy or too harsh...And you have to play it like a statue because just a little bit of movement makes a big difference as well... I'm getting there, though, but it's a tricky instrument to capture.

As for EQ, I'm trying to use it very sparsely. No more than 2dB moves here and there. When you have a busy mix you can do more drastic stuff, but with just voice and uke, every slightly exaggerated cut or boost gets noticed.

About the panning in this track, I did it mostly to try to recreate the atmosphere of the original song. The same goes for the the reverb use. I don't usually do these crazy pan moves all around my experiments.

Anyway, thank you and everyone else for the feedback. It's nice to learn from different perspectives. :)

4. electriclash

electriclash Guest

That's interesting! Would something like this help for recording?
    m-brace-stage-guitar-holder-m-brace-music-world-academy_300x300.jpg image.jpg 098245b10b3d5ffa04fe1df7ab2d7b45.jpg

Great work on the Zeppelin btw! I preferred version A :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Your Inglash seems two bee okai for an ESL speaker (me). [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Isn't South America next to Bulgaria?

7. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

B but the vocals are a tad too loud IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List