which laptop you did buy lately or want to buy soon ?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Gyro Gearloose, Mar 7, 2020.

1. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Me as well, but this one seems really impressive. But price tag starting at around $2.500 is not a joke ...

Anyway, I won't buy a full blown laptop again in my life. I've lost two (one was an ASUS) in the past because of thermal problems (self-desoldering) and broken graphics just after warranty was over. And I really hate, when a laptop needs to use it's fan. That fan-sound is really ugly.

2. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

thats why i like good used ones ...no monday device fo sho..no warranty up and broke

3. Gyro Gearloose

Asus ZenBook Pro Dou
    with upcomming stuff this year i guess this one is heavy overpriced

4. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

That’s one hell of a deal. Any tips? Where to look? I am looking to get a new machine.

5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Well, it didn't take too long did it... :)
    Meet the Asus Zephyrus G14 :
    AMD Ryzen 4900HS-Nvidia RTX 2060 MAX Q-16gb ram-1tb ssd-120hz,1080p 14" IPS Display-10hrs battery- 1450$
    https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-G14/

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  6. Blindcrake

Blindcrake Ultrasonic

An almost 30-year Mac user here... was planning on another MBP by next year but after the T2 audio glitching issues and macOS continuing it's slide, I think an AMD Ryzen may be in my future.

7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

You shouldn't be surprised if the 2021 Macs run off AMD cpus. Word is Apple is already testing them, since they made a suspiciously large order on AMD cpus :)

8. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

bang for buck (if you're a mac user or want to become one) 2012 macbook pro. 2012 specifically bc thats the last year that mac made their chassis able to be opened up so that you could upgrade internals yourself. any mac from 2013 on, you better buy it totally maxed out or your stuck with it... and a maxed out mac is 2k+... fuckin' apple:facepalm:

got mine when i was just getting a little more serious ab recording bc i REALLY wanted to go to an apollo mkII interface and they are pretty much "mac only" due to the use of thunderbolt. i was lifelong hardcore pc but figured id dive in head first and see how it went. did my research, found a 2012 macbook pro on fb marketplace for $250 bucks. it already had 2.9gh core i7. i upgraded the ram to 16g and swapped the standard drive for a 500gig ssd and she is STOUT for recording. and less than 400 bucks with the upgrades that took me less than an hour to do myself. and i still hate to admit it but it is soo much easier to use and navigate. my pc's always took to long to boot up, were pretty damn slow when multiple programs were running and just more fucking complicated to do shit on beyond what a casual user does daily. (pc peeps, pls don't rain the hate, i'm just talking ab in my own experience)

not to mention its a sexy ass machine. i know thats not very important but damn apple knows how to design some shit. if i was the head of marketing at apple our next slogan would have to be "apple, we make machines you wanna fuck." its made out of a fucking single block of aluminum! it just feels like you're holding some shit.

yikes.. i know i sound like an apple fanboy :beg: but trust me i definitely am not. my MBPro is the only apple device that i own or have ever owned. fuck an iphone, ipad, ipod etc. but with that said, i have been very inpressed and pleased with my macbook. as a tool for recording i just struggle to find something comparable for the $$

thats my 2cnts on it. rock on ya dingdongs:headbang:

9. Clayton123

Clayton123 Producer

Just bought one of these https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX505DD-DT-DU/ the model with the ryzen 3550H, 256G nvme SSD, and 8g ram.

Has roughly the same specs as my desktop which runs everything I need it too beautifully. The cpu is slightly higher powered which I wanted as the cooling in a laptop won't be as good as my desktop. So hopefully the slightly higher specs helps make up for it. Was going to get the 3750H model but the benchmarks are only around 5% better for an extra $150, not worth it. I also really like the MIL-STD-810G durability tests, as I plan on travelling with it a lot. Got it on Newegg for $700. It also has a graphics card which my desktop doesn't which will be nice for some light games. It's got everything I need without any extra flare which I don't and will drive up the price (no RGB, no touchscreen, so 360 hinge, no high powered graphics card, etc.)

I bought a Lenovo Flex 2 in 1 which I really liked but I found the cooling in it was just not up to par, so I returned it. The cpu could rarely ever reach turbo even with the fans screaming. And while I really liked the touch screen I had to admit I don't really need it.

I plan on using it for mobile recording, to be able to take it places with my interface and mic pre and record bands and do rough mixes. So I wanted something that performed as well as or a little weaker than my desktop. There's an open ram slot so i can upgrade it to 16g for an extra $45. And there's an open 2.5" bay to put in another SSD.

TLDR; has similar specs to my desktop, good cooling, durability, and upgradability.

10. Blindcrake

Blindcrake Ultrasonic

That would be fantastic news, as the new Ryzen kick @ss. The price/performance ratio would still be twice that of Asus etc, but if that means not having to suffer through the usual DPC checks and latencymon bs it may be worth it.

11. Gyro Gearloose

:mad:
    [​IMG]

12. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

dammit... you just sent me down an HOUR long rabbit hole. :rofl:

i had no idea what r/choosingbeggars was.... thanks to you i am now well aversed:deep_facepalm: