Which Laptop Category I must Search For Music Production

Discussion in 'PC' started by Geo22, May 12, 2022.

1. Geo22

Geo22 Member

Hello sexies ,
    Many threads with that question but i will be more speciifc . I have come to a conclusion that buying a 3000 to 4000 thousand euros/dollar laptop is just throwing your money . It gets hot and everything start to work slower . So my question is , as a second ( first option is a desktop PC which i will acquire soon for my studio ) pc which category of money should i look and if there are any laptops that are " optimized " from all of you to do the job ! Laptop companies that you have used or have great reviews etc etc . ( NO MACS PLEASE I HATE THEM , ONLY PCs ) . Thank you .

3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

phew, you basically answered yourself already,
    for music production, you either want a desktop PC or laptop Mac, that's what everyone will tell you as least error-prone options;

nowadays laptops are basically using same components, only difference is power draw limitation and thermal cooling capacity (this applies to both Windows laptops and Macs),
    if you want something lightweight and portable, forget about performance,
    if you want capable workstation in a laptop, forget about battery operation, and expect a beefy rig, not far from a rack-mounted small desktop PC, really;

me personally, I can use 10 years old MacBook Pro 13" 2012 for recording even an entire orchestra, no problems and in case of power failure it has its own battery (though, obviously don't even consider buying 10 years old device in 2022, bad idea indeed),
    but mixing or layering virtual instruments is a completely different story - I definitely need a huge screen for that (at least one 34" 3440x1440 as bare minimum), so a strong PC or Mac is desirable anyway;
    that said, search for (laptops) with 32-64GB ram and choices will shrink heavily, then observe external connectivity options like USB, ethernet, Thunderbolt, external displays etc.. aand nothing else matters, literally

"optimization" is what you gotta do on your own - tear all that shit from Windows to make it usable, not that big deal once you get the grip
    :chilling:

4. infinatesorrow

infinatesorrow Noisemaker

mac

ok let me clarify - take your budget - compare what you get comparing mac vs windows at that price......just like that you are a proud mac owner and will never look back

then youll be like the rest of us and want to punch babies every time you have to use a windows

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Macbook with a Logitech MX master mouse. :)

Right click mouse makes it just like working on other OS. I almost never use Option key shortcuts.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. nism

nism Ultrasonic

Hahah!
    First:
    and you have answers with Mac (and you will have a discussion about why Mac is better)

7. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

@Geo22 Which model did you end up buying?

With laptops, you basically have the choice between low or no fan noise and less cpu power or high power with audible fan noise.
    CPUs have advanced by quite a bit, especially the new ARM generation but still, high power needs good cooling.