Which is the best Tape emulation?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex Philipp, Apr 15, 2018.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Sound interesting @MMJ2017. I honestly don't know what to make of it, stacking 50 plugins sounds like chore. I'll have to get more opinions on this. Thankfully, this isn't a requirement on my end as of now and I don't know if anyone I listen to currently goes through all this. An actual analog board looks more attractive after reading this. :wink:

I do thank you for the information. It's much appreciated, now I have it should ever need it. :phunk:

2. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

thank you, I hope it can be helpful my friend.

3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yep it's normal, you should tweak it if you want less or none, @LHO got you covered indeed :

Indeed they do :wink: I tend to feel the same regarding you when I read most of your posts :mates:

Cheers @phloopy ! I love it like most things from airwindows...He releases so much it's hard to keep up, so I put a shine on his most glorious plugins anytime I feel it's appropriate. Combined with CStrip, Console 5 and a few others, ToTape is one of the plugins I rely the most on.

4. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

Oh, and thank you for your answers! It works!

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

You dont need 50 tape plugins, it will raise the noise floor to a very undesirable level.
    Use something like the D361A from acustica on the mixbus, works similar and has a greater impact on the sound than any tape plugin, in a positive sense.
    Or use satin.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

Thank everyone for your advices!
    I stopped on Slate VTM and Overlaud Tpedesk.

7. alonzo86

alonzo86 Member

Slate VTM imparts awful pre-ringing, softening the transients in non tape manner but with pre-ringing. I can't understand how how people didn't notice that, literary no one on the internet noticed it. It's an awful ringing, and I can hear it on the whole mixes, I felt so sorry because of that , because I love other things about VTM, but this is making it unusable to me.

Here is a pic with a kick sample with and without VTM, to me, that's unacceptable, it makes the transients feels softer by imparting this pre-ringing that you can hear and see. Hopefully, they will fix that.

[​IMG]

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. The Phank

The Phank Noisemaker

I wouldn't be too hopeful. Slate and Fabrice know what they're doing and likely choose to use mushy, low latency oversampling on purpose. As you said, it does help soften things up a bit. Their target market isn't people who own tape machines and are intimately familiar with their sound, it's bedroom producers who think of magnetic tape as magic pixie dust. If you can hear these differences, the plugin just isn't for you. I tried really hard to like Slate because they do some really cool things, but the sonic price is never worth it to my ears.

9. saltwater

saltwater Guest

Robert Babicz talks about this here, a true Master in this field

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  10. alonzo86

alonzo86 Member

I agree with you, it's probably their choice, but it's a poor choice, it makes everything sound mushy in non tape manner imo. I thought that I was crazy, for months I was like "This sounds like pre-ringing", until I tried it, literary I associated the VTM gui with pre-ringing lol...

11. Tod Slaughter

Tod Slaughter Ultrasonic

Lovely "tape" mode on this

12. mickey

mickey Ultrasonic

Very True About Pre-Ringing. I taught i was the only one who noticed it aswell. Yoo bad.

13. mickey

mickey Ultrasonic

Airwindows To-Tape is the best for me ATM

14. The Phank

The Phank Noisemaker

I know, it's super frustrating. They go through so much effort to model every nuance of a tape machine then muck it all up with crappy oversampling. Then when you mention it, forum warriors come out of the woodwork calling you crazy for having acute hearing. Why not give power users the option to let it eat the whole damn CPU and add 3 seconds of latency? If it sounds better, I'll do it.

My personal favorite is Airwindows' FromTape. Keep "Soften" fairly low to add just a bit of asperity and "Weight" fairly high for extended low end. Don't max out Weight, however, or it will start to throw off DC like the sister plugin ToTape. To my ears, asperity is the most pleasing part of tape emulations. Saturation, compression, and EQ stuff can be done better with other plugins.

EDIT: ToTape is awesome and the DC offset is minimal. I'd use it instead, but I'm a turbo-nerd and enjoy creating problems out of small technicalities :guru: YMMV

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • List
  15. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

16. pine

pine Ultrasonic

Excellent choice, Slate VTM is also my fav. Never tried the other one you mention.

17. Friggy

Friggy Guest

Stopped using VTM, specially after doing tests and seeing/hearing the pre-ringing in my tracks. Makes me think back to the whole drama of their tape plugin being a complete ripoff of an AlexB tape program. lol

Luckily I have had Reelbus for a long time, and can get some great tones with that. The Japanese 7.5 setting can be really versatile. Can easily get the VTM sound with Reelbus, plus a lot more. Just wish it had a grouping option.

What I think sounds better than VTM, and has the grouping option, is Satin. I use it on the mixbus, but now I need to start using it on other channels.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Of all emulations I settled down on UAD's Oxide Tape Recorder. Wish I bought it before Studer and Ampex. So much easier to dial in and just gorgeous tape sound :thumbsup:

19. Majestic

Majestic Rock Star

I use primarily Slate Digital's VTM, Overloud's Tapedesk, and U-he's Satin. Cheers!

20. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

why emulate wow and flutter ? is it good in tiny amounts ?