Which is the Best Mixing Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Banz, Dec 12, 2016.

1. DJK

DJK Rock Star

Dance Music Production is good, the best tip is use your ears, get a good pair of headphones, mix with your ears not your eyes,gain stage all channels to -10 to -12, give yourself headroom, always best to get the balance correct in the DAW before bouncing to audio,once it sounds good on headphones, listen to it a few times and minimise the DAW so you are listening with your ears, its hard to mix with your eyes, by that i mean it gives your brain false information,if you got a good midi controller map the eq settings to faders and adjust to suit, but its all about learning and to trust your ears.

2. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

for me, the real game-changer are Fabfilter product "showcase" videos on YouTube, never learned so much from anywhere else

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Fernando Roma

Fernando Roma Ultrasonic

For me was undestand the concepts of eq and compression, i learned a lot on youtube channels.
    As i record most Rock and Metal, the game changers for me was the Creativelive with Nolly from Periphery and the Metal Bootcamp with Eyal Levi, Nolly for the mixing concepts and Eyal Levi for all the production.

4. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

All you're going to see from tutorials is a bunch of people doing something "different". The only thing that's the same is the basic stuff in every tutorial that takes 5 minutes to learn. After that, it's whatever you want to do. The key is to learn what every knob/button/fader on each type of gear/plugin does specifically. Each sound source is unique, and knowing "what causes what to change in what way" is the only way you'll ever be in control of the outcome you want to hear.

5. ElecTrick

ElecTrick Producer

For a begginer, a good point to start is with "The Art of Mixing" from David Gibson, very basic & simple concepts but very well explained with a bit of fun :wink:

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

One of my favourites:

[​IMG]

7. Anthony D'Atri

Anthony D'Atri Noisemaker

Used and abused all of them that I could get my hands on (a lot of them), and I can attest to it, this guy is a wizard.

8. joem

joem Producer

twitch literally everyones streaming now giveing up to date advice and working on tracks on stream.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. cexcean

cexcean Producer

cool. you have any suggestions on who to watch?

10. joem

joem Producer

ones i watch are mainly dance music based so disclousure are always streaming fox stevenson virtual riot more hiphop ones mike shinoda is always on mark ronsons always on just serch and youll proberlly find someone youlike streaming now cas of covid lol

11. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Mixing With Mike (link) in Youtube, watch all his youtube videos! He is also doing plugin review (you can learn them as well!) now, but check the older posts, it is a complete mixing package there.

I'm keeping a habit of watching 1 of his video everyday (for memory refresh) for 2-3 years already. Man has a soothing primary school teacher's voice. Atleast it reminds me of mine. lol.

If you need more can always subs to his bootcamp program and classes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

you can get most of the ebook version here : https://z-lib.org/
    read few of them, it's a good suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. joem

joem Producer

hi

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  14. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Hi, Amazing info, just started to watch some of the recommended videos or channels, my mind got trapped in this video from Bobby Owsinski, So good tips!, thank you all for all the great info.

15. Justin-Cydeher

Justin-Cydeher Kapellmeister

Anything you find online about Andrew Scheps will help you rise above the crowd and louder with parallel mixing

16. Wile E.

Wile E. Kapellmeister

The readings that helped me the most are from Mastering The Mix, both the books and the blog. On the point and a great balance between theory and practical advice.
    The videos that helped me understand what makes a mix stand out are the ones from Kush Audio. A great insight of a mixer's mind and an artistic approach on mixing.

17. spncart

spncart Producer

Like the guys said before, Mix bus tv > all. I know some well-known producer who recommended it to me as well. Didn't know Kush had tutorial videos, I'm gonna check then out!

18. Arghspace

Arghspace Guest

Behold
    A timeless classic

19. juggz143

juggz143 Kapellmeister

For me it was Hyperbits' "Mix Master Flow" course and Production Music Live's "Mixing from Start to Finish" and "Mastering from Start to Finish" that really brought everything together.