Which free (or paid) audio editors include automatic seamless loop points search?

Discussion in 'samples' started by odelay, Oct 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

Hi guys.
    Years ago, when I was younger, I laid hands on a 32-bit version of Steinberg's Wavelab 5 (non-legit, I'm afraid). I remember I discovered that Wavelab 5 could help you find loop points within a sample automatically which resulted in a really seamless loop. Nowadays I only use legit 64-bit software. I don't think I'll buy Steinberg's Wavelab only to make use of that function. Can anyone recommend any audio editor (either free or affordable) which features the same auto seamless loop points search within a sample?

Kind regards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. aleksy

aleksy Kapellmeister

I recommend you take a look at this video:

The program used is called Sound Forge Pro and it includes a loop tuner that helps you create seamless loops.

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Seamless loop is always found either at zero-point or highest point of the sample. It's the best to rely on ear. There's no easy way to find it. My little 26 or more years of sampling told me that. I love sampling.

You have to find the part that is similar in dynamics, and see if 0-point or the highest point work best. I do this on hardware. I'm a sampler freak. I use S3200, A5000, A3000, S760, and E-MU E4XT.

I think even AI won't be able to find it so easily. :wink:

5. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

That's what I was talking about, but I remember I could do the same in Wavelab automatically. I just had to select an area at the end of the sample where you could tell it would loop well (that means even loudness for some time). Then there was a function whose name I can't recall which automatically searched not only for zero-crossing points, but a couple of them which will loop so seamlessly as possible (if, for instance, there was a bit of vibrato or tremolo in the area, it would choose points which will complete the vibrato or tremolo cycle and make it loop seamlessly - automatically, not by trial-and-error). While I was waiting for your replies, I've checked online and noticed Wavelab has now a LE free edition. I'm going to try to register and download it tomorrow (it's 1:40 am here in Spain). I hope that auto-loop points function is there in the LE edition... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

6. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

Well. I thought Wavelab LE was free. After downloading Steinberg's Library Manager I realized I needed to have obtained an unlock code by purchasing any piece of hardware which included Wavelab LE in the bundle. So, I'm asking again: besides Wavelab (and Sound Forge Pro's manual zero-crossing loop point helper... any other piece of software which can help you to autosearch for loop points within a sample?

7. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Reaper has a "Split at previous zero-crossing" action. I also found this post that includes a script for "Move edit cursor to nearest zero crossing of mouse cursor" https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=1601956&postcount=4

I don't know specifically about any other software (except for Sound Forge, as previously mentioned) but Ableton surely has some maxforlive device that can do what you are talking about. Would be shocked if no one has made one yet.