Which FL Studio version should I start with?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by waverider, Oct 8, 2018.

1. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Well, it costs less than "intro" versions of other DAWs (which are basically toys). It's not like someone can't afford it. Even people living in third world countries can afford to save 60 usd.

2. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

Don't get me wrong. He and his team are awesome. Support them by all means! I just meant that he doesn't really need any financial support.

3. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Thanks a lot for this. I might actually check out an earlier version. A friend of mine wanted to get me into trying out FL studio when it was still called Fruity Loops, that was a long time ago. I wonder how my line of thinking would have developed if I had tried it out earlier. But your comment made me confident in trying out the latest version. All the comments I read elsewhere made me sceptical, but it looks like with the latest updates, it has gotten a lot more stable.

Yes, that makes sense. If I know, like, for example, that I need to do "side chain compression with equalizing this and that on that send and receive of that track with that frequency and these samples right here" etc., or whatever, then I could just transfer that knowledge to whatever DAW I am currently using. I just don't have any of that knowledge yet so I'd love the tutorials I learn with to be tight, and that they fit the actual program I'm using. Then I can always transfer. Komplete looks like a great package for sure. I might wait for a sale and go for it, but honestly, I think that, if I get FL Studio, and it has plenty of synths etc., I might stick with that for a while until I find out what kind of sounds I need to get the music I actually want to make. Perhaps getting the all FL all plugins bundle would be more worth it than Komplete, but I have no clue yet. The upgrade policy of FL Studio is indeed really nice, but what's bothering me is that they are actually trying to improve their copy protection. I don't want to learn a program that ends up getting a super intrusive copy protection down the line. I'd hate for Image Line to go ilok or elicenser or something similar in the future, and it feels like that's where they're heading.

If his net worth is really 70 millions, then sure, he doesn't need financial support. It's just that I hate DRM so much that this kind of policy makes me actually want to buy and support financially, regardless of their circumstances.

4. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

The sooner you try applying the methods from those tutorials to other software, the better for you.
    Go with Reaper, especially if you have already played with it. It's not worth it to slow yourself down by learning yet another piece of software. It's a tool. A hammer. Pick your hammer and go do stuff with it.
    Absolutely. It's a newer one, written with Windows 7+ in mind and fully using its advantage of not carrying 10+ years of legacy code and ways things are done. Lots of people got pissed at Avid and current state of Pro Tools switched to Studio One and are now doing world-class Grammy-wining songs.

5. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Thank you for this. It's an interesting perspective. I hadn't even considered legacy codes and older OS versions. Interesting how many things you have got to consider in this field. I like Reaper but it's very complicated. I often hear the comparison "it's the Linux of DAWs", and it feels that way to me absolutely. I think I'd prefer to work with something that's more noob friendly. With that said, you are right - I should strive to get general skill, and then I can carry that over to whatever DAW I end up going to.