Which DI should i use?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by pelao, Jun 3, 2020.

1. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1sli...nayMxM4O128VfGxOiCvD83Po4Bg2CewWkcF3K8JYTWvSU

hello i was recording yesterday with my ID4 and i have a doubt about which is the correct di for a hot rail pick up (i have a squier standard with a hot rail in the bridge) i uploaded a file with 3 di's
    you can hear in this order
    1_ Is Ample LP DI in bridge position
    2_ Is my ID4 with a cheap DI box
    3_ is the default input of ID4

Which is the best for a recording?

hope your help masters

3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

this one

[​IMG]

4. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

You make my day hahaha

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You should be able to decide which recording sounds the best. :wink: It massively depends on your song and other tracks in the song how it will fit in. It could actually sound kinda bad soloed, but it could work perfectly in the mix. :wink:

That said, ID4 should have pretty decent preamps and work well, I know ID14 [and ID22] have since I had a privilege of using those recently. I call Audient audio interfaces "cheaper RMEs". :)

There shouldn't be much difference between them. However, a DI box is a very good thing to try as it eliminates possible hum and noise [EM interference picked up from your surrounding el. equipment], and can change the colour of your tone slightly. Active pickups go well with passive DIs, and passive pickups with active DIs. If you need a quality but cheap DI have a look at Klark Teknik ones with MIDAS transformers. Those could make a difference.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Zer0Mark

Zer0Mark Member

The audient jfet DI inputs are much better than the average for anything in their price range.
    But nothing beats a high quality dedicated DI box (I recommend Countryman type 85 or type 10)