Which DAWs have WASAPI and how it compares to ASIO4ALL?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by substorm, Jul 25, 2014.

1. substorm

substorm Member

I know Reaper does but any other ones that can play through WASAPI? Is there a way to make it work with Live?
    Also, is the performance comparable to ASIO4ALL? I am leaning towards WASAPI since it allows to play multiple audio sources at the same time but I am worried about latency.

3. octagon

octagon Newbie

Bitwig has it. Works really well on my laptop.

4. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

On the top of my head I don't know any other besides Reaper (I know a lot of simple audio players and editors who use it, but not a DAW besides Reaper).

I think the same restrictions as in ASIO4ALL are in place though: Using a different input device than output device _may_ work, if they share the same clock. That means it must be either _simple_ USB devices (who use the clock from the USB chipset, and so share it with other USB audio devices) or more real studio devices (who can use an external clock to synchronize with).

Otherwise you end up with the same result as ASIO4ALL: It seems to work fine, but after 20 minutes (or an hour, or after _some_ time) cracks and pops start to happen which get worse and worse and worse because the two devices lose sync with each other).

I don't know for sure though.

Also remember that you can't use multiple devices for input (to combine inputs). It's a straight forward 'use a for input, use b for output' situation. Unless you use another piece of software to combine the inputs ('virtual audio cable' kind of thing?) it won't work in Reaper.

All this, I say again, why not use a real interface with proper ASIO support? If you have devices that don't have ASIO drivers I can't think they'd be suited to use as a real input device. In a lot of situations, going through DirectSound (and thus WASAPI) will actually add latency to the chain (most ASIO devices have a 'fake' directsound driver that wraps ASIO. So if you go WASAPI, You go under the hood through WASAPI -> DirectSound / WDM -> ASIO). The only noticeable exception I know of are the Behringer FCA usb interfaces, which actually perform (much) better with ASIO4ALL than their real ASIO drivers.

The only reason I think of to use WASAPI (but please enlighten me if I'm wrong! :)) is for people wanting to play through amp-sims with a guitar, and they got that 'real tone cable' thing that came with the Rock Smith game. It's an guitar-input without any kind of output, so you need to use another device for audio output. In this case, I really recommend to get a simple guitar-interface with proper ASIO support and _a_ output (even an headphone socket would be OK) to save yourself some headache in the end.
    And - like I said - if you got a Behringer FCA interface. Using asio4all _or_ WASAPI would probably improve your latency a lot, but you would still use the same input/output device (the interface).

5. Diabulus in Musica

Diabulus in Musica Platinum Record

I think Cakewalk SONAR X series has it too! *yes*

6. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

Cubase has it.
    It has higher latency on the rigs i have tried it on than asio4all or native asio drivers for audio interfaces i own though.
    Sometimes use it when i just want to play around with piano roll and instruments when i can't be assed firing up the main audio interface and speakers.(i have a 5.1 system plugged into the onboard audio for blurays, since my audio interface won't decode dolby digital.)

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Samplitude has it through WDM. But it's easier to un-exclusive the Asio Audio driver (At least on a PC) if you want more that one source at the same time.

8. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Studio one does it

I prefer working with Asio4all Because of latency (close to 0) and the possibility to switch or add master output, so i can connect Monitors or headphones on separate channels and managed them

9. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Audition CC x64 has WASAPI iirc

10. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Yes and it is the default option many times after installation when i have upgraded to a new version i have forgot to change to my interface Asio driver

11. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

djpje
    As far as I know WASAPI in exclusive mode allows direct access to the soundcard just like ASIO or WDM Kernel Streaming. It really depends on your interface and the quality of the drivers for whatever you're using. Some cards have shitty ASIO drivers. You generally want to use WASAPI in Exclusive mode btw because otherwise it passes through the Windows Mixer at least from what I understand.