Which DAW like Really now.....

Discussion in 'DAW' started by mfx, May 25, 2012.

1. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I also liked the Duet, but hey.. if it aint cross platform.. piss on it. :thumbsup:

Very happy with my purchase of the Steinberg UR28M

Very pretty too and I can do Quartet, and more !! :rofl:

2. ElMoreno

ElMoreno Kapellmeister

The great thing is that all criticism vs. Apple is always paid by those using Win and almost never by those who use Apple. Ah ah aha ahah ahah ah... :)
    The greatest artists of the world use Apple and who's complaining? The unknown!
    It is really interesting this psychological phenomenon! I hope nobody feels offended...

Some say that the Mac is too expensive, bullshit. Come on, they complain and then buy keyboards Roland, Yamaha, Korg or other gears priced 3/4.000 dollars to set them aside after a few months. I'm not rich but if someone can not afford a good used Mac (around less than 600/700 euros!) I think they better find another hobby. They could try with the run or basket...

Oh, I forgot: the shoes Nike Air Max LeBron 9 cost $449.99, or even the Nike Air Jordan $399!!! But you could try with a good second hand pair shoes, sorry... second foot pair shoes. :rofl:

3. mfx

mfx Newbie

MY THREAD IS DEAD THANKS TO A PC/MAC WAR AGAIN!!!!!!! ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!

4. ElMoreno

ElMoreno Kapellmeister

I do not think, however, the audioz friends have already answered you widely, or not? :mates:
    I myself have suggested you to use Logic, but...
    Download and try all soft, everyone has their preferences related to the practicality, intelligence and gears.
    Nobody can replace your direct experience.

Sometimes we also talk about hardware because the computer is the house that you buy and live there, the software are the things that you put into it but the solidity and the reliability of your house are the most important thing. :wink:

I like repeat some words of my audioz friend 'Studio 555'. Adapt his words to your case:
    After, these are purely 'subjective' choices, the way you 'feel' it (them) when you work with it (them). Sometimes, you'll find a 'must-to-have' plug or soft, but unfortunately maybe you 'feel' a bit uncomfortable with it, maybe you'll find it too 'hard' or too 'complex' for you, you don't like its sonic coloration or qualities... Just a matter of taste!
    That's why my only advice will be: "Try all that you can afford and that can 'suit' you", then keep those that you like the more (sonic qualities, ease of use, real needs...).
    Fortunately, we're more than lucky to be able to try a vast majority of them for FREE... then take advantage of it !

5. JanOriCab

JanOriCab Newbie

+1 on this.... i really agree... though it takes time to test them out, but it's worth it.. Imagine, we can test a vast majority of them for FREE.. :-D

6. gruzina

gruzina Newbie

Great thread ...
    I've literally work on all DAW available in the market .... so here is my experience :
    the most worst is FL , today FL is at his 10th edition and the sound engine is much better , but still the most amateurish.
    cubase is good and I've worked with this DAW for long time (on WIN) and the midi composing tools and the integrity and workflow are the best IMO , but lack of some basic functions that needed in pro audio (for example only at version 5 they added pre/post fader capabilities)
    Reason is awesome ! great sound and the best DAW to teach newbies about the real analogue studio functionality , on version 6 they added "PLAY" integrated into reason and created more audio capabilities , but the drawback is that Reason does not support 3rd party plugins , but can be rewired so this is great.
    Studio One - wow this little baby is going up very fast ... I am using it from day 1 and I have seen how it grows into big boy's DAW today in version 2 they got it rock'n like the Pro's , this little baby is fully capable 64-bit (important when you working on Windows and this is the only 64bit available for DL) any way great sound great capabilities and nice midi arrangement options.
    Live 8 - is great and most of all is for Live use IMO , but over the years they became a standard of electronic musicians ... for me this DAW is not delivering the whole package as needed but when going live and sync trax is supper B !
    Harrison Mixbus 2 - well this little baby is a HORSE ! great mixing engine and great editing workflow audio and midi as well ... amazing peace of software , I can mix a whole song using only the EQ and COMPs available on the buil mixer and be amazed with the sound quality of this DAW .
    Logic pro 9 is my main DAW I am composing editing and sometimes mixing on it ... for music composers/creators is the best IMO allowing you the composer to really focus on music and stupid tech s**t .... for me creativity is in the first priority , and Logic Pro deliver it in the best posible way , triggering and manipulating sounds is so easy in two mouse clicks you create amazing changes and this is allow's you to focus on the creative side of the music and not the technical side of things .... any way this Logic pro is my favorite for music composing and production ...
    and the last DAW is of course Pro Tools , this DAW really gives you PRO TOOLS for audio mixing and editing but the MIDI capabilities are not satisfying enough .... I only mix on Pro Tools 8 and I love the sound engine and the ease of use ...
    you can go and find a lot of comparison videos on youtube , start here DAW COMPARISON

7. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

They all sound the same. It's only their integrated FXs/Instruments and different panning laws which make them sound different.
    Pre/post fader capabilities were already there in SX3...

8. xsze

xsze Guest

I was on Cubase 5 when i switched to Mac/Logic, totally the same thing, I think Cubase users suffer the less in that transition, everyday hear Fl users having problem with Logic's workflow, but Cubase-Logic transition is golden, you are at home really, assign shortcuts and get used to like things are working, but it's the same world :D

Love Logic sincerely, sure Cubase automations, vari audio, audio editing on the spot, but better than everything else for me in that exchange(tried Live and S1 too)

9. Alraun

Alraun Member

Hi musicians,

the main question for me is not which one sounds better (matter of taste) than the other or has the most sophisticated editing capabilities (matter of technics).
    My question in my position is at first: which one of them is the better Host? Is it possible to load all the available plugins with only one host? Or is that different from DAW to DAW?

And second: how stable are they in their hosting function. What about crashes? I give a shit about the better sound, when i can´t produce and hear them long enough,
    because the Host function is unstable and i cannot play my instrument longer than 10 Min.

I tried 5 DAW´s and got surprised, how different they react, when it comes to instrument-plugs.
    Ableton Live is the leader of my crash statistics. I couldn´t play a plug longer than a few minutes. That was annoying.

Cubase also had problems with some of my favourite plugs. The GUI is ugly, the customization is from yesterday.
    Reaper loads every plug and doesn´t crash at all.
    Studio One is also a stable Host, but the GUI is not customizable. Reaper has a very flexible GUI.
    If i don´t like what i see, i don´t want to work with it.

I think, i stay with Reaper for some time.. Logic was a great challenge for me. I stucked so often and didn´t know how to go on.

Which DAW would you recommend me to buy from your point of view? Is there another one which is worth a try?

Btw. Concerning the sound i can´t hear big differences between the DAW´s.

Alraun

Update: In the meantime i bought Reaper. It´s far more compatible with me than the other DAW´s. Cheap, no crashes, flexible in many ways, and a stable Host.
    It´s a shame, that Logic can´t load VST´s and validates less AU´s than Reaper.

Isn´t that funny: Cubase has problems loading some VST´s, Logic has problems loading some AU`s.
    Shouldn´t they be at least the primus in their own field?

If one doesn´t need a gigantic sound library, like me, Reaper is a good solution. And the price is unbeatable.

10. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

sorry for being completely off topic...but if one buys a pair of shoes at this price (whether that person is rich or not) he/she's a friggin idiot...in China you can get these models (not fake, the genuine thing) for about 10/15$ (we also have the prices you mention, mind you!lol)...and the guys are still making money (probably 2 or 3 $/pair)..I bought a pair of AiR Jordan VI recently lol :bleh: :bow:

DAW wise I'd stay with a cross platform one if I were you...cubase...or reaper

11. Feridan

Feridan Newbie

Digital Audio Workstations I have known:

Pro Tools (way back in the olden days)
    Live
    Presonus Studio One
    Logic
    Cubase
    Reaper

The ones I ended up liking best have been Live and Studio One (my current DAW).

Pro Tools is a greying eminence, way overpriced, and too much of a closed shop anyway.
    Logic is too bloated, and annoyingly prissy when it comes to plugs.
    Cubase, I could never get that bugger to swing.
    Reaper, a potential supermodel but it's got bad breath.

I have a feeling I might end up with Digital Performer 8. Time will tell. :grooves:

12. Feridan

Feridan Newbie

Perhaps take a look at Harrison Mixbus?