Which DAW got the best update this year

Discussion in 'DAW' started by manhill, Dec 31, 2021.

?

This poll will close on Dec 31, 2031 at 4:43 PM.
  1. FL Studio

18 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. Cubase

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Logic

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Ableton

18 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. Bitwig

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. Studio One

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  7. Pro Tools

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. Reaper

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  9. Reason

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

I'm not trying to offer an answer - I'm just asking a genuine sub-question.
    Answers to this might be part of a broader answer...

Which DAWs have now/recently added smart editing facilities for MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression)?
    https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/midi-polyphonic-expression-mpe
    and maybe even beyond DAWs, scoring packages, etc?
    ---
    Some Examples
    Example [1] - that illustrates the issues"
    https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/midi-polyphonic-expression-explained.html
    https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/midi-polyphonic-expression-explained.html
    Extract from the above link...
    "When you open up a MIDI editor, you’re accustomed to editing MIDI notes and envelopes a certain way: pitch bend information is displayed as a single line that you can easily edit by clicking and/or drawing. MPE’s note-specific modulation(s) can make for some serious editing challenges in this scenario. How do you display pitch bend data for four simultaneous notes in one editor?

There have been a few attempts to do this, some more elegant than others. Perhaps the most slick is a little-known DAW called Waveform by a company called Tracktion.
    Here’s how Tracktion displays per-note modulation in a MIDI editor.
    [​IMG]

MIDI is an amazingly powerful tool that gives us the opportunity to capture a performance, as opposed to a sound, and to edit it to our hearts content. In a sense, the impetus behind the development of MPE technology was to create greater expressive possibilities for capturing a sound, rather than an editable performance. As such, it’s a data-rich protocol, and has yet to cement its place in our current editing paradigm."
    ---
    Example [2] (another thumbs up for Reaper - but still early days?)
    A Reaper video from almost 5 years ago
    Description says...
    "Reaper's basic MIDI editing features allow to record all the event in a single sequence and show/edit each note with its corresponding controllers (Note On Velocity, Note Off Velocity, Pitch Bend, After Touch, Brightness).
    It could certainly be easier or better, but it is already very usable !"
    and that's the point... "already very usable" :wink: BUT "could be easier and better"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AiDI38ZQXs
    ---
    Example [3] Bitwig MPE Editing
    ---
    Example [4] Logic Pro - Midi Data Management
    This is more like the traditional midi control data management approach that pre-dates MPE - so here just as a useful contrast. Capabilities like these are great (but old news). These workflow approaches are going to be impacted in interesting ways by smarter tools for working with MPE.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=04pQTqS8pMo
    ---

So, can anyone point to more than just 'easier and better MPE Editing'? :dunno:
    - looking for real advances in MPE smarter editing.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  2. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

I voted for Reaper as it is constanty evolving we got atleast 2-5 updates every year and alot of beta updates but i almost never install those and of course all those updates are FREE for the users.
    Next time i need to pay for my Reaper licence is when version 7 is realesed then i have free updates up to version 8.99.
    Reaper is simply best for stability very light on cpu quick boot up and of course you can customize it to YOUR liking not what the bloody developer think you should like

3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

That's a really difficult one for me to answer, because If I find something works well then I don't bother updating it.

4. odiza

odiza Producer

So now that Reason got added (thanks for that) - for me the "best update" indeed goes to Reason for the updated Combinator 2 device which made sound designing/ device creating so much better. On the other hand this is no real "daw upgrade" but then again it adds a lot of spice to the overall workflow of creating music.

5. anissbenthami

anissbenthami Kapellmeister

Latest Bitwig's update added awesome note effects. FL got some interesting updates but I find most of them useless, some new presets for FLEX, a new pitch shifter and tuner (already present in most DAWs) and some slight enhancement for their broken automation system

6. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

Apparently called Logic Pro again now!
    All 'X' dropped from Apple naming now.

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

This poll will close on Dec 31, 2031

All companies are trying hard to improve their products.
    Thanks to the great competition, they also have to do that. It benefits all of us.

8. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Good date choice :rofl:
    10 years ought to be enough for those lazy manufacturers to figure out what we really really want :guru:
    and obviously there won't be any worthy newcomers in the coming decade.:unsure:

As long as one of these DAWs can convert the gibberish coming out of my virtual reality headset into a symphonic masterpiece, in any style I choose, I won't care which one of them wins the 2031 poll.
    And the one that implements virtual groupies first will get my attention. Happy new years to come.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

These are accusations and slander without substance.
    Is also easy to write any bullshit, online anonymously. Throw up for once really.

10. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    So, is that how we're rebranding obvious sarcasm in 2022?
    We're calling obvious sarcasm 'accusations and slander without substance' - that's going to get confusing :woot:
    And now I'm confused...
    were you making (knee-jerk) accusations and slander without substance or being sarcastic? :dunno:
    Happy new year either way :winker:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @Ad Heesive, I also wish you all the best for 2022. And may things be invented that make life easier for us.

I also have humor: I think you should start a company with the aim of inventing a DAW that leaves nothing to be desired, collect money via crowdfunding ...! I already have the name "AudioSexPro DAW" - With us into the future.

After appearing, it will of course be hacked by the R2R team and offered free of charge. You are then left with the credit.
    Now we just have to find out what we are missing? So that the trend scouts of the big companies can copy our ideas perfectly.

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

[​IMG]

13. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I haven't tried all the workstations out there, but to me FL Studio seems to be getting better and better, slowly but surely.
    Yes, earlier it was considered the DAW for children... but children grow up and become adults...
    Also, free updates is a big deal for poor people like (most, I suppose) us. But then again, people were making wonderful music with Amigas decades ago, all the rest is just stuff to make the work easier and faster...

cheers

14. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

for u guys saying Reaper stop it we all know Reaper is the best and Reaper updates like every damn 4 months like really tho let FL Studio shine for a little bit if yall don't mind even tho i hate Fl studio give them people they props they really did give they customers a good update this time around .........Reaper always have good updates so Reaper doesn't count Sheesh

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List