Which Correlation meter to trust in ? Ozone VS Levels

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by adrien, Aug 15, 2017.

1. adrien

adrien Guest

I was testing the correlation of a sample from Splice (sample in stereo) and found out that the correlations meters from Levels (masteringthemix.com) and the one from Ozone (Izotope.com) don't show the same result ! and by far...

The levels shows a fluctuation from 0.4 to 0.6 and the Ozone shows a 1.0 all the time... Which one to trust in ?

However both show the sample is slightly on the right
    [​IMG]

3. mono

mono Audiosexual

4. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

... or add Brainworx bx_meter; Voxengo SPAN has a correlation meter too.

5. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

bx_meter ftw.

6. rootwits

rootwits Producer

The vectorscope shows the stereo information in the middle, the izotope one is correct.

7. adrien

adrien Guest

It's exactly what i did, it's not clear because with the sample in question, i had to put it on a loop and play it during 5-6 times until the correlation rises up each time a little bit more to the +1... it's not dynamic or i don't know how to analyse it. I'll test it with Bx_meter i come back. I heard that i should also check the settings of Ozone, sometime it's checked on 5.1 and not stereo

8. adrien

adrien Guest

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Cashmeere

Cashmeere Guest

Very interesting, I'd always trusted Ozone over everything else, looks like I'll have to run some tests myself now

10. adrien

adrien Guest

I love the quality of Izotope, maybe it's only a bug from the installation, i should re-install Ozone to be sure... i think it's a bug

11. adrien

adrien Guest

[​IMG]

What is going on with these correlation meters, the Levels and Flux are the same and the izotope and BX are the same, but don't have the same value.... i don't understand

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I'm an ignorant but could it be they have different methods of calculating it, but the end result over longer times is the same?
    Have you tried different samples? Shouldn't the correlation be +1/almost +1, since it's almost all mid?

(I also use T-Racks Metering)

13. adrien

adrien Guest

i don't know and with these 4 correlation meters i don't understand... the 2 who shows the meter near the 0 should be on the +1 that's it, but it's not the fact... i'm going to try with other samples

14. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

They have different signal thresholds and integration times.

The ones that seem less sensitive are just operating at a higher gate value and maybe a slower integration time. For all practical reasons unless you need 100% correlation and you are working with very quiet under -60dbFS program material they are identically useful. If you are making boom boom music that is going end-up relatively loud, this technical difference is just mathematical.

As always when it comes to phase cancellation - your ears and a mono-sum mix are worth more than any meter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. adrien

adrien Guest

Thanks Mozee. Now i have a 3rd question about correlation : should the stereo signal (only the sides) be at "0" on a correlation meter to be called a perfect stereo signal, without phase issues ?
    I've analysed a few stereo samples and when i solo the sides, the correlation always is between -0 to -1, almost never at 0. So i exported in false mono and created by myself a stereo signal and now the correlation, when i solo the stereo sides, is sometimes on "0".

16. adrien

adrien Guest

reverb + microshift it's what i'm using, but i don't have the same wide stereo effect, however i don't have phase issue on the stereo signal...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2017
  17. philou72

philou72 Newbie

Try with a hardware oscilloscpe. Good cables, 1Khz, 10 khz sinus tone and see what's happen in real life. Dac must be calibrated as well.
    Good luck !

18. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Anything bellow +1 and 0 is a stereo signal.

The -1 ------ 0 ------ +1 are a function of the cosine of the angle difference in degrees ( since all the wave functions have limits of 1 to -1 it becomes self explanatory)

A decorrelated signal as with two instruments panned hard left and hard right with no channel bleed and no identical resonant waves should read - 0 - or as close to zero as mathematically possible. This means that the average wave peaks are as close to 90 degrees apart as possible and do not interfere with each other when either summed to mono (voltages) or as pressure waves directed at each other in an anechoic chamber. This would be a pure stereo signal with completely different information on each channel.

As you narrow the stereo image and the signal produced becomes more and more similar the angle between the peaks in the integration average becomes smaller as the angle approaches zero you start to get a reading approaching +1. If you play a mono signal through a stereo set of outputs your correlation meter should read +1 as the two signals are 100 percent correlated (identical) and therefor reinforcing each other.

On the other side of the meter as your waves start to approach opposing each other (-180 degrees) you start to approach the limit of -1. On this side the signals are peak opposed or polarity inverted and as you approach this limit you might expect some amount of phase of the cosine functions average output voltages to cancel out.

Delay, phase shift, wide reverberation effects naturally set up a scenario where you will get some mathematical decorrelation, the integration times on these meters is usually pretty long 500 to 750 ms is in the normal range.

As long as you do not have very fast shifts between readings, or do not spend a large amount of time in negative territory you are probably fine. It is best to check by switching to mono and stereo while listening to you track and listening for volume changes. Your ears are much more sensitive to phase issues than a meter with a half a second integration time, even if they can not hear -140dBFS... because honestly who cares what happens at -140dBFS outside of scientific scenario. Also, it worth remembering that these meters were originally developed to make sure turntable styluses didn't jump out of the grooves on stereo records due to opposing phase forces, or very fast shifts in correlation. When dealing with digital audio let your ears and a simple mono sum guide a just as much, unless you intend to one day have a pressing of your track.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. outofnames

outofnames Newbie

+1 for ozone

20. adrien

adrien Guest

To resume, as long as i am between the 0 and +1 side, i am ok. Even if sometimes it flips 1 second under the 0. Right ? And more i have a wide stereo signal, more it would come to the 0. More i have a narrow signal, more it will come to the +1, right ?

21. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Yes

For loud music with a lot drum and bass content you should stay around +.5 (45 degrees) while the low end is bumping. During the quieter parts small dips into negative territory are fine.