Which are the best stock synths?

Discussion in 'Software' started by aleksalt, Jun 18, 2023.

1. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

I'm interested which stock synths are the best for pop and EDM.
    Your experiences, maybe links to the tracks made with them
    (tell us which factory presets have been used then)

3. fnord23

fnord23 Ultrasonic

I know a few rather successful artists who use Ableton's Operator almost exclusively.

But imho it's not about who did what with which stock-synth. I'm sure you can make great stuff with all of them. For example i never got used to fm, I don't like operater, but it's still a great synth I have no doubt about it.

4. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Thanks,

should have a look at it

5. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

could we have link(s) to those tracks?

6. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

i think it's impossible to find something stock better than Retrologue/Padshop in Cubase

Retrologue is a decent virtual analog, with very good sounding oscillators, and Padshop is a unique machine with many many possibilities (mixing sampling, granular synth), a great piece of virtual gear

7. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Alchemy in Logic is closest probably, Retro Synth is ok too, Sculpture is very interesting physical modeling synth too, Drummer is ok too, think Logic definitely takes the cake based on stock stuff.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Logic probably has the largest selection and covers so much ground. A few are sorta dated by now, but still good. Ultrabeat was removed though because people complained about it all the time. There is also Studio Horns, Studio Strings, Vintage B3, Vintage Clav, Vintage Electric Piano, Vintage Mellotron. And then the Samplers, Drum Machine Designer, Drummer. And I am still probably missing one or more.

• Alchemy
    • Retro Synth
    • ES 1
    • ES 2
    • Sculpture
    • Drum Synth
    • Ultra Beat
    • ES P (Poly), ES M (Mono), ES E (Ensemble)
    • EFM1
    • EVOC 20 PS

9. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Cubase and Logic probably have the best sounding stock synths (IMO), but Ableton and Bitwig are not far behind.

Cubase and Logic have a more classic DAW workflow, and the synths are more or less just like any other VST/AU plugin.
    Ableton and Bitwig (especially Bitwig) have their own certain workflows, and "devices" that you can build almost whatever synth you can think of from. If you don't have that much experience with creating your own synth patches, there's a ton of different packs you can buy or download for free.

FL Studio also has some really decent stock synths, but my experience with FL is very limited so I can't really compare it with the others.

10. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Thanks to everybody,

also I'd know if the synths listed above work with other DAWs than native ones?

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

ES2 on Logic.

Abletons synth are weak and boring.

12. fnord23

fnord23 Ultrasonic

( ... i was just mentioning that Ableton has hundreds of stock synth. I doubt that anyone labeling all Ableton stock synths as boring has even tried them all but apparently people here don't like Ableto.. my bad)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  13. clone

clone Audiosexual

Logic would be a No; even though they are AU plugins and other DAW can use that format. I also think you cannot use the FX either.

From Google: the native plugins for Logic are not AUs, they are internal to Logic and cannot be used w/ a non-Apple app.

I take that to mean you can also use the Logic FX in Garage Band or Mainstage. (but i haven't ever tried).

14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i dont like how thin they sound and yet you still have high CPU usage compared to simply using any 3rd Party. (i tried to get them to work since a decade), but im always going back to 3rd party synths as they simply produce better results on a lower CPU usage.

Instead of for example giving Analog more voices and other things, lets make another thin sounding stock synth called Drift.

of you can use stock devices on top of it, but you can simply get faster results with any other 3rd party synth.

15. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Ok,seems, I found a little treasure...presets to the Cakewalk stock synth z3ta+2.1...I never used it before, but will do now due those presets
    Actually, I started this thread because I got tired of the sounds of my synths, and I decided to look for something else,
    it turns out that sometimes you just need to rummage through your trash :wink:

16. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Reasynth

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

Was Cakewalk Rapture ever part of the DAW? It looks pretty decent and like you can use it in other DAW too. It has a similar appearance to the dark Spire.

18. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Did you tried Surge?
    There are a lot of presets for it and it's a very powerful synthesizer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. tori

tori Platinum Record

Harmor from Image Line is a really great synth, but it's only stock in the most expensive version of FL Studio I think, and for many people it looks a little complicated (maybe because it's additive features). The other FL Studio synths are fine. I really like the ES2 from Logic, and think it's one of the most popular stock plugins.

20. J Frank Badass

J Frank Badass Ultrasonic

z3ta has always been good...recommended

21. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Amen. Surge was a gem and now Surge XT is a goddamn 100 carat diamond.

Soundwise it has that similar digital sheen as has Z3ta, and there's as you said plenty of presets to get started. But it's also a really tweakable synth, not just a preset machine.