Which Acustica Audio plugins have you deleted and kept and why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by BasedPirate, Jun 14, 2024.

1. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

End of thread. Period. Everybody back to producing their nursery rhymes.:rofl:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

DELETED: all of them
    KEPTD: none of them

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

You can say that again. I've even taken a screenshot. This legend-to-be comment should be preserved for years to come:rofl:

4. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Audiosexual

C'mon Xupito, give some appreciation for the Rupert Neve from our era, the one and only Gianka.

5. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Everyone has their opinions about what sounds good (best) and what doesn't. A LOT of it is subjective. Judging from what passes as legit in the industry these days would have been laughed out of existence a few decades ago. Many I know still subscribe to a more purist form of production recognizing the modern "approach" as a sort of novelty that has it's place, but not to be taken seriously in any professional circles.

The AA catalog, in my opinion, has its place and can be used with success in the hands of those who really believe in the tech used to create them. Pretty much every AA piece I have played around with seems to have a learning curve associated with it all of its own. For the most part each one has a distinct personality both in the sound it produces and in the way it operates. For someone who has a more quickened pace to their production workflow, this can be a hindrance unless they take the time beforehand to learn the plugin, and therefore be able to obtain results more quickly. There are limits to this as to how much pre-learning one is willing to take on for any given amount of plugins.

The acustica catalog has a few other detractors as well. The first one being the prices of most of their stuff sometimes being 2-3 times that of their smaller algorithmic counterparts. The second being weight. A great portion of the legit AA catalog as we all know now is tempered with a burdensome copy protection scheme that make the bit-weight of a single plugin greater than the size of most entire DAW programs out there. This can be a hindrance in the way the plugins look and feel when they are used. Also the amount of computing resources used doubles or triples which manifests in a compromise in overall efficiency in the operation of the entire workstation. Couple all of this with slow-rolling, quirky, sometimes intuition defying graphical user interfaces (there's that learning curve again) and you have the making of a poor experience being had for many who are used to grabbing for an algorithmic control and hearing exactly what they would expect by the tweaking of that control.

At the end of the day, with acustica you'll either love them or hate them. The tech used to create them will either make them or break them depending on how one embraces it. Personally, I would never buy any of it - too expensive for too little in return and you basically have to learn each plugin as a separate animal in order to get any real use out of it. Others will obviously disagree which is to be expected.

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

lol
    Actually, I think the core technology behind Nebula/AA plugs (volterra kernels) is brilliant. I went through the rabbit hole of the math/DSP behind it several years ago. It really is unique and should sound better than most/all alternatives for some music hardware. Not all.

Also, it must be done very well (the sampling procedure). And there's a valid reason for the high cpu usage.

But the commercial practices in general... well :rofl:

PS. Also, I'm pretty sure @shinyzen was joking/trolling with that comment

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Adam Ford

Adam Ford Producer

Sold: Diamond Eq, Indigo, Diamond Lift
    Selling: Lime, Cream, Pink, Cobalt
    Kept: Navy, Azure, Ivory, Ash, Tiger Ultra, Snow, Cerise, Celestial, Erin.

8. acusticaregrets

acusticaregrets Newbie

The product is good; the company and the people behind it are terrible. Avoid Acqua and go straight to Nebula and third party developers. I do regret buying directly from them because they are an abusive company. Skip all the new Ultra garbage. The underlying technology is very good in the hands of people who actually care about the sampling process. The technology will be irrelevant in a few years due to AI sampling.

9. Jayster

Jayster Kapellmeister

Deleted all of them, zero left. And never looked back.

10. Swatch

Swatch Producer

Kept Cherry and Jam
    Cherry has some super smooth highs.

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

as of now i downloaded one Acustica Audio plugin by accident and deleted it again. Think it was Acustica Audio Sunray, otherwise none.

I dont see me every using these plugins.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024
  12. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

Was liking El Rey and Brown but not gonna buy them, so I trashed 'em. There's nothing going on there I can't achieve with what I've got.
    (I've never even seen anybody else mention the Brown suite, maybe that could have been my secret weapon :wink:)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024
  13. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Audiosexual

After some time my bag with Acustica plugins became way smaller than when i was testing em out. Found out that i prefer Nebula/Old AA over Hyper-Tech plugins. On a daily basis i use:
    Nebula
    Amethyst
    Ash
    Black
    Brown
    Cream
    El Rey
    Diamond Eq
    Taupe

And i eventually use(and love):
    Blonde
    Tulip