which 50-70 inch screen mainly for watching movies and shows?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by terrific!, Aug 12, 2022.

1. terrific!

terrific! Guest

I had great luck here with suggestions for my PC monitor search which I bought and love! so thought I would try here again for the next purchase.

I need to replace my living room screen which I have always used connected to my 2nd desktop PC (its old and has quad core cpu stock graphics, but still works ok). I dont want to spend a whole lot on this because I dont really watch much tv shows or movies.. but of course I want the quality the best I can get for budget prices. duh. I may even play some Wolfenstein ET Legacy on there once in a while :woot:

So for a 50-70 inch screen size what specifications should I be looking for? The viewing distance will be around 6-7 feet away. 1080p, 1440p, 120-165hz, 2k/4k?

Ive never bought a screen larger than 32" and apparently things can change quite drastically the larger the screen size.. so this is all new to me.

3. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

I had an LG Ultrafine on my Mac and one day it just died. The part I did not like was it was about 1 month after the warranty ran out. They took care of it (eventually), but I will still never buy another from them again if I can help it. That is Engineered Failure/Planned Obsolescence if I have ever seen it. I have had shoes last longer.

5. terrific!

terrific! Guest

Yeah 32" LG 1440p 165hz is what I was recommended here and just bought for my studio and its killer!

This on the other hand while it looks great is way overkill and price for just watching some movies and shows once or twice a week via downloads or streaming off my desktop PC. I dont need all of the extras bells and whistles "smart webOS TV etc". Just the price, hdmi/displayport connect for PC, size and screen resolution clarity are my concerns.

6. terrific!

terrific! Guest

Oops! Hope that doesnt happen to me because I love my new monitor :(

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'm sure not. I'd like nothing more to recommend an LG also. But I can picture some user riding around a congested European city on a scooter with a 72 inch LG strapped to their back to get it fixed, and cursing the day they ever listened to me :)

8. terrific!

terrific! Guest

hm.. still clueless and undecided

9. AudioTee

AudioTee Kapellmeister

You don't mention a budget as TV prices are all over the place. I suggest if you buy close to 70" and sit only 6-7 feet away, you should consider a 4K. The closer you sit + the larger the screen + the sharper your eyesight = you need higher resolution. I sit 12 feet away and my screen is under 50", so 1080P is good for me. Also I've had good success with inexpensive Roku TVs. The added value content from Roku along with the ability to pause live TV makes for an incredible value.

10. terrific!

terrific! Guest

actually I was wrong. I just measured from the actual screen to eyes distance and its 10 ft. but my treadmill is closer, like half of that.. so lets say 7-10 ft away. I dont need smart tv with computer or anything like that. as I said it'll be hooked up to my pc and play whatever media I have on that. my budget is.. cheap as I can get, but not total no name junk thatll break in a year.

11. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Got me a 65" Sony 4k this year and while I don't really like the Google OS running on it, the picture looks very natural (with various presets to fine tune to taste) and the 1080p to 4k upsampling is one of the best I've seen. Sony have considerable experience in broadcast tech and it seems like they know what they're doing.

12. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I'd recd an LG G2 / Gallery thing - I've got a 65" one and it's amazing; assuming you have the wall space and can find someone to fit it / cable route it for you? It's incredible!
    (Also affordable if you don't get the ridiculous size ones!)

13. terrific!

terrific! Guest

ideally itd be less in price than I paid for the LG I use in studio but I may be dreaming on that. it only gonna connect to my pc and power.

14. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

Get a 65-inch screen. As far as I know, this is currently the most cost-efficient screen size in terms of production cost, so you should get the most bang for your buck.

Google "mother glass" for more information.

[​IMG]

15. rnrmoma

rnrmoma Newbie

LG C1 65 inches - LG has decided to add AMD FreeSync Premium support to the already existing Nvidia G-Sync compatibility. It is great for gaming as well.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List