Which 32 bits plugs and VSTI are worth using in a 64 bit daw ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by rockumbo, Dec 2, 2015.

1. rockumbo

rockumbo Newbie

Hi, I'm a new Nuendo 7 /64 bits user on windows 7. Many "old" songs use 32 bits plugs and must be replaced. I've been told that working on jbridged plugs require a lot of cpu power and memory. Is it true ? If it is so, which plugs and VSTI do you think to be really worth using in a 64 bit daw ? Thanx.

3. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Hi Rockumbo, that's a matter of personal taste and needs. No one can accurately point out some stuff better than you personally. Just think about what's missing in your production process that you could get it from a 32bit-only VSTI and consider it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. rockumbo

rockumbo Newbie

Thanx Evorax . Do you know if it is true that jbridged 32 bit plugs on 64 bits DAW require a lot of cpu power and memory ? Do you think they sound as good ? Thanx again

5. peghead

peghead Platinum Record

Sound has nothing to do with jbridge. Plugins remain true to their original "sound" or "tone" or whatever but...
    jbridged plugins tend to crash, they cause (very) high CPU usage, are or can be (very) unstable and the GUI might not load properly.
    I see jbridge not as a way to keep using x86 vst in a x64 system (or the other way around) but more as a mean to keep those very few plugins you can't do without, at the expense of all the above. Which plugins you'll keep depends solely on how you work, what you normally use.. your personal taste and preferences. There is no right or wrong.
    Of course, the key word here is TRY (and see).. ok.. that's a phrase, not a word :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

As a side note Reaper has a native bridge for 32-bit plugins (some other DAW should have it too) so why not using a DAW which has already that option instead of using jBridge which is not free and a CPU hog? This was one of the the things I did consider before migrating to a 64 bit DAW because I had some plugins I loved. It's a trade-off with jBridge.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. rockumbo

rockumbo Newbie

Thank you so much for your answers Peghead and Chopin. I'm gone try the steinberg bridge with a couple of plugs I like

8. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

First, make sure you need 64-bit.

Some people are all picky with 64-bit and they have absolutely no need for it. It ends up being an unecessary hassle to deal with at this time.

9. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

For me the worth the hassle are:

Lexicon reverbs
    Amplitube 4

but, I would rather use the needed plugins in a 32 bit daw, and than bounce and import the tracks in a 64 bit daw.

...or bounce the song in Nuendo x64, and master it in a 32 bit daw (cubase ie.) if the mastering plugs are 32 bit.

...of course, if You have cpu and mem to spare, i see no reason why not to use jbridge ?!?

10. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

There are some old plugins that are written in SynthEdit or some 'easy plugin creation platform'. Dominantly free stuff, but there is some good stuff out there. No updates, no 64bit.. and of course there are plugins that can do 'kinda the same thing', but they cost money :).

As a guitar player some of the free amp sims fall under this, but for general mixing stuff from Bootsie comes to mind that might be hard to replace in the free world.

Bridges plugins don't consume a lot of memory and cpu power _per default_. When things go wrong they may cause random issues like crashing, cpu spikes, memory leaks, etc.. When things work there is hardly a hit (in theory it costs a bit of extra cpu power but on any _remotely_ decent CPU you won't notice).

So what works and what doesn't? A lot of the stuff just works these days but it all depends on the plugins and DAW you're using.

I'm using the built-in bridging in Reaper (Windows) and I've _never_ had any issues or a plugin that wouldn't work, and no performance hit that can be measured. But I'm using the DAW more for real recording and stuff, the only sample library that might be loaded is an EZDrummer drum-kit, so I'm not using much memory at all. But I'm still using a lot of Bootsy's stuff bridged in my projects and it's working just fine.
    Even in the mode 'that the UI is neatly integrated into Reaper which can be dangerous' (normally bridged plugins in Reaper have a floating UI window of their own and can't be docked. You can enable this but it may cause issues apparently. Never had any).

If you're still happy in the 32bit world it's absoltely fine to stay there. 64-bit won't bring many advantages just straight out of the gate, it depends on your usage. Some people can't do without anymore (heavy sample library users I'm guessing), other's don't notice a thing.

But it is a fact that more and more software is going towards 64-bit only, so you _have_ to switch _some_ day.

11. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

As does Mixcraft 7.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Try 32 Lives. It might be a little bit more CPU-friendly than JBridge. I also use Patchwork with Pro Tools, but I don't really have a lot of experience with that one (yet). I have a low-end 64-bit MacBook and so far, 32 Lives seems to work okay in Digital Performer (using AUs, not VSTs) … although, as a previous poster has already stated, 32-bit actually seems to work a bit better on my machine.

13. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Personally, I've never had a problem using JBridge (v1.6). I believe it depends on your OS And system configuration. I've been using the aforementioned version of JBridge for over a year with REAPER x64, and have simultaneously loaded tracks with several KONTAKT instruments and x86 (32-bit) plugs. So far, nary a hiccup.

14. schorsch

schorsch Rock Star

Win 7 64
    FL Studio is really good to accept plugins.
    For me FLS is hard to accept, but if it engages
    Loomer String

nothing but does not go over these strings

I'll take it. This is of course dependent on the taste. My experience now, well
    PS: where the hell is when those who have posted?

15. Ankit

Ankit Guest

:beg:smexoscope

16. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

I only use one x86 plugin: Nexus v2.2. I used to occasionally use Vanguard; but I have since moved to other synths.

17. schorsch

schorsch Rock Star

Nexus, This is a clear sound which I at all the big -> Spectrasonics etc, miss.
    I have Camel Audio Alchemy 1:25 exhumed.
    Honestly what I wel-
    Equipped Bissig, endlessly variable and with great Plus "button Random" for inventors.

18. borgaudio

borgaudio Newbie

Bitwig has their own method to load x32 and x64 plugins in same Daw.

19. ukslinger

ukslinger Ultrasonic

I can't do without Native Instruments B4 II organ, but I suppose it depends on what sort of music you're aiming to create.

20. schorsch

schorsch Rock Star

Bitwig, no other DAW waiting of the structurally so to me.
    Exactly what I miss about "Ableton".
    That's all very mature, but BUT, no "Loomer String" plug possible.
    Of course I am very narrow-minded.
    I have an orchestra in my mind, and the only sounds with "Loomer"

21. schorsch

schorsch Rock Star

Nothing's better than "B4". Holy shit, what I look for a wolf. Best ever