Where to get vocals when producing?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Sonar Sounds, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Hi all!! :bow:

I'm a big fan of house and techno, and anything in between really (tech-house, deep-house, dub techno, etc...), and lately I came upon an issue when producing such genres: many house/techno tracks have either vocals (particularly house music) or a short-vocal loop that repeats throughout the song (like the drumcode-alike techno), but I've never used one when producing!

Now to the question: how do these people find vocal samples/phrases? Are they sampled from somewhere or is there another technique to find vocals (sample packs, vocalists, etc...)? If they're brought from the internet, how can the track be sold on beatport if the vocal is copyrighted?? :dunno:

Please help, I'll give you a reference to hear what I'm talking about:

Track 1 starts about 1.41

Track 2 starts about 1.10

Track 3 starts about 0.34

Cheers guys! :wink:

3. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

Sounds like vocals chops going through reverb and/or delay ( mostly no dry signal on the delay )

you can use record ( the red button - lol ) or any samples. Especially since its going through a lot of FXs.

If You don't sing well (as myself), send your voice to a vocoder/or auto-tune, for that kind of effects, it would do just fine.

[your voice or sample chops]-->[Vocoder or Auto-Tune if needed]-->[reverb and/or delay (sync your delay)]

Experiment at will.

4. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

To not make more clichês in todays music I sugest to hear the music first...
    My system hqve more than 20 tera and I rarely use loop because the cut and paste thing (that even monkeys can do) do not produce original or artística music.
    Só even if you are a bad singer, almost anything could be fixed nowadays...
    But when you sing(even badly) you develop yourself, and if give your voice a chance for sure it will soundcard good and one day you will not need to correct.
    The music is the master and you must obey!
    Your voice is one of the best things for your good music, só be gratefull and invest in yourself... And you will receive not just a good music but a personal identidy :wink:

5. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Samplepacks usually have cleared samples. You can use them in a composition. If the track is released by a big label they can make a separate deal. And if you process & repeat them like in your tracks, hardly anyone would recognise or care, imo..

6. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Get a microphone, get fucked up and get creative. You don't have to have the added pressure of writing lyrics, just experiment with using some samples of your own voice for a small part. Effect it, make it sound cool and eventually you can increase your parts even write some material if that's your bag. Also you can use sample packs if you're into that cliche and derivative vomitfest that mainstream music has become. Personally I find practically every one that I've ever heard horrendous. You can also hire someone but if you're broke think if you have any friends who can sing. And not friends that think they can sing but friends that can sing and see if they'd be interested in recording something together.

7. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

I know this is tangentially related, but some guy who wants to be "a songwriter" asked me how one comes up with lyrics - "Do ya just find some unknown songwriter and steal their lyrics, and hope they don't find out?" Really. He really asked me that. I replied, "How I do it is write songs since the age of 12 and develop it into adulthood." But, aw, f*ck that - gotta have it now. Random-lyrics generators seem to suffice for most pop songwiters:

http://www.anticulture.net/LyricsGenerator.php

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Mic your voice. :)

There are also tons of vocal sample packs out there (some alot worse/better than others).
    Then you can just sample any radio/tv speaker, commentator, youtube clip or whatever. You just have to find a nice (and tiny) chop/slice of audio that you can process until you you are happy with it.

Sidenotes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Oka7uTytM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsBfj6khrG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkMm-WVpE7k