Where to get that brass one shot sound

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by aleksalt, May 6, 2023.

1. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Today on a sister site: Smokey Loops Slap House

that brass one shot starts at 1:03 and then at 2:40
    What I need:
    Sylenth, Massive or Spire preset -
    name of a preset pack and exactly preset name to get that brass sound

3. Lepow

Lepow Producer

sounds like stock preset "orchestration" or "orchestra hit" (its named something like that) on sylenth1

4. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Hi, thanks for advice, I found preset you mentioned: it's full title is
    034 KEY Orchestra Hit,
    but it sounds different, I tried to modify it (distortion, phase, etc), but couldn't achieve that brass one shot

5. Lepow

Lepow Producer

yeah that one,
    take a look at Output's ANALOG BRASS & WINDS and Substance maybe?

6. Axvap

Axvap Member

I like how you put your request. This yours "what I need" makes me wonder if you also need a key to a stash house? :bleh:

The sound is a typical brass & saw hit that could be found in dozens of samplepacks and in hundreds Serum presets.
    Impact Soundworks even made a Kontakt library just with this sound called MegaBrass. Its been out there for a decade or so. Project Sam 4 have a contemporary deep brass hit similar to IS. Otherways it can be found in any Orchestral Brass library.

This stuff is so basic its not even level 1, its a kindergarten of sound design :guru:

7. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Take a look @ UVI Emulation II +, Korg M1 or Roland D-50.

8. Chaindog

Chaindog Producer

Vital VST is free, just download and install it,
    follow along the tutorial and then just add reverb to taste, maybe some sidechaining.
    And there you go. :wink:

9. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Thanks to everybody, but I marked the list: Sylenth, Massive, Spire - those are I work with (mostly).
    As for Vital, I had it and then deleted - my system doesn't like it.
    Ok, so far the closest sound I found in Roland GrooveSynth 1 (pretty old, isn't it?):
    preset Ac.Brass-Brass (with some tweaks)

10. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

These Orchestra Hits originate in the mid 70's so they are pretty old, was used in Pop, R&B and New Jack Swing the Hit sample is from
    Stravinsky from 1910 and was used first in Fairlight CMI which came out 1975.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Chaindog

Chaindog Producer

Baltic Audio Sylenth 1 Essentials Vol. 7 Slap House
    Patchname: "BR Free", probably could be combined with "LD Brass".

This could be probably the closest one I found.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
  12. genophyte

genophyte Producer

iirc the original massive has a ton of braam hits if you can track them down

13. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Why not just go to a local studio and spend three hours with some horn players and make your own brass hit sample pack. Or go on Fiver and hire players out to make the pack for you. I spent the time energy and money to do it and now I have my own brass stab instrument that has the unique brass sound I wanted... and nobody has that sound.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Did you hear a reference from which I want to make a sound like? That's a pure synth brass, but very popular in EDM for now. As for real brass, I have good samples, like these that are used in my tracks:

15. Axvap

Axvap Member

Huh?? "Pure synth brass" :woot: how did you figure that out? It very well might be a real brass stab in a sampler or probably in Serums osc mixed with noise and saw with high pass and sidechain. You not going to find it in Sylenth, Spire or Massive since none of them synths can load samples or make FM modulation required for that kind of sound. I bet whole this pack was made with Serum.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
  16. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Its possible in Sylenth and so on without Samples.

17. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Hi all,
    thanks once more for suggestions, yes, I use some tweaks, say, in Sylenth to modify premade presets...
    in that synth this can be done quickly:
    cut off, detune, portamento, distortion, waveform, ADSR, octavas (up/down) -
    using these parameters you can change the original sound beyond recognition...
    but I never did it (and never will do): to press a knob "init" and start
    a new sound from the scratch, - my goal is to create a music, not sound design...
    No one will hug the immensity
    /Cosma Prutkoff/

so, the ready synth brass one shots presets are welcome

18. Chaindog

Chaindog Producer

Yep, can second that. I'm not a good Sound Designer, so I stick to being somewhat a
    "Preset Whore", and collecting soundbanks and presets for my favourite synths and tweak them to my needs.
    So, kudos to all the sound designers out there.
    I tip my hat to you. :mates::bow:
    But I layer synths a lot of times,tho.:winker:

19. Axvap

Axvap Member

Now I am confused :dunno:. Request was for a very specific sound, not any brass type hit. A brass hit can be done in any synth with a saw osc and a filter, the trick is to open cut off slower than an attack. That's basics of sound design. However synths like Sylenth, Spire and Massive are one of the very best on the market and being such they have a distinctive sound that sets them apart from the competition. And the given example from the sample pack is not the sound that any of those synths able to make. More so when a lower note than G# is hit in the example the attack goes slower as it is in a conventional sampler when a playback is slowed down the lower you go from the root note of that sample. That is a give away. Secondly the sound is very bright, almost white noisy, that is OTT type multiband in action. None of the mentioned above synths have multiband compresor. Its Serum.