Where is everybody?

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by damian9, Aug 8, 2022.

1. damian9

damian9 Kapellmeister

I was looking through my music library today and I realized how depressing the rock and alternative metal scene has become over the last decade.

There have been some great underground metal releases but as far as alternative metal (bands like deftones, a perfect circle, NIN, white zombie, rammstein, etc.) I don't even remember the last album I've really been blown away by.

Does anyone even care about this kind of music anymore? When I say alt metal I guess I'm talking about heavy music that is accessible/has some commercial value.

I would think there'd be an explosion of really cool bands with all the amazing plugins on the sister site over the past few years. Instead it's just crickets.

I feel like I've been working on something with a lot of potential but finding anyone to collab with who is willing to put in serious time and effort to really make something great has been futile.

3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Electric Callboy, Polyphia, ClownCore, Igorrr...
    :chilling:

4. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Don't forget to mention

"We Butter The Bread With Butter"

or "Bloodywood"

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  6. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

i seen some video on youtube talking about what happen to rock and alternative metal like a week ago the thing is im a 80's baby and i damn for sure love rock and alternative metal music ....the way i look at it all music has its on personality and we need all of it ....

7. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

you should listen to Avenger sevenfold bro they are so good i love they music i been listening too them every since the early 2000's

8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I do :yes:

9. thedarkbird

thedarkbird Platinum Record

What is often overlooked is the effect of getting older and the change in perceiving the world compared to when you were younger. If you'd discover the music you were psyched about at age 16 at age 36 instead, its impact would be quite different. You simply can not re-experience your first love.

That said, the music industry has moved on from rock/metal to other genres. It has had its hayday for quite some time though: from Nirvana that skyrocketed it into mainstream in the nineties to, well, somewhere in the 2010's. That era has come to an end (with Gibson going bankrupt in 2018 as the most visible symptom).

I moved on from rock to electronic music (thanks to NiN actually), so I don't know what is still going on in rock. I would guess there's still a thriving underground rock scene, which - by definition - does not have the visibility of mainstream.

I liked the Add Violence EP from NiN in 2017 though. I also dig his latest single (with HEALTH): ISN'T EVERYONE. Reminds me of The Fragile.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Pretty much what thedarkbird said. When I find new music these days the bar for entry is much higher than it was when I was 16. I just cherry pick songs these days. Doesn't mean the rest of their catalogue is bad, it just doesn't stand out anymore because I personally have heard the same song a million times by a thousand other bands.

--

I like some of Spiritbox' stuff (I also liked their now dead band iwrestledabearonce):

Kylesa have earned a permanent spot in my playlist too:

Rolo Tomassi have a lot of stuff I like, usually on the shoegazier, noise rockier side than this one:

Ty Segall drifts between psychedelic, grunge, garage, stoner:

On a sillier note, I really like Nine Treasures and The Hu, mongolian stuff:

11. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

I heard Dimmu Borgir is good. Didn't they make new albums?

12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This is very true, but for me this is the main reason by far:
    It's just not trending anymore. The same people who would make metal music in the 80s and 90s now in the 2020's (and 2010s) make another genres since more than a decade ago.

Also, the trend of short songs that must catch your attention in 10 seconds doesn't help to these genres among others.

13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Check out Turnstile, best live band in the world right now :)

14. Genoveva Bernhard

Genoveva Bernhard Producer

Back in the day, I was a big KISS, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, RATT, Van Halen, Rush, Metallica, Scorpions, etc fan. I later got heavily into Alice In Chains, Evanescence, Ra, System Of A Down, Deftones, Seether, and a lot of other Nu Metal bands. I'm a guitarist and currently own 10 guitars. But guess what? I'm no longer a rocker. It's 100% electronica for me. The reason being I can't be bothered with bands anymore and electronica allows me to create albums by myself.

I think, but I'm not sure, what I did is common - rockers morphing into electronic since you don't have the headache of members. I could be wrong.

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I went from guitars to electronica, and back to guitars :)

16. recycle

recycle Guest

What is the best musical genre?
    The best musical genre is when someone asks "what genre is this?"
    The moment they have the word ready to define it, that genre is already over. When the words to define it are more than one then the music becomes really cringy:

Original Metal
    Heavy Metal
    Power Metal
    Avant-Garde Metal
    NWOBHM
    Thrash Metal
    Glam Metal
    Alternative Meta
    Death Metal
    Symphonic Metal
    Black Metal
    Rap Metal
    Groove Metal
    Industrial Metal
    Progressive Metal
    Nu Metal
    Christian Metal
    Doom Metal
    Stoner Metal
    Viking Metal
    Sludge Metal
    Gothic Metal
    Post Metal
    Funk Metal
    War Metal
    Prog Metal
    Crust Punk
    Metalcore
    Djent
    Kawaii Metal

17. reto

reto Platinum Record

18. damian9

damian9 Kapellmeister

I couldn't give a single shit about my first love these days, it was nothing compared to what I experienced later on. In a music sense I feel the same way.

I'm talking about a very specific type of music as I said earlier. These bands I mentioned are still super popular, like millions of monthly listeners on Spotify. I don't think the industry has moved on, there just isn't anyone doing anything worthwhile in the genre these days.

Actually, the song from The Fragile is where I got the title of this thread from, lol. To me The Fragile and Add Violence are worlds apart.

19. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

Shit... you made me realize the "recent" (at least, in my head) self-titled album by Scars on Broadway was released already 14 years ago, back in 2008. Damn.

It definitely feels like for the past few years, pretty much nothing else than djent was being released. Oh, and also that shitty overly heavy music that uses ridiculously downtuned 8-string guitars and is heavy just for the sake of being heavy, without offering any substance at all. It's so bland I almost forgot about that one.

20. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

i think what the main problem is the continuity of musical groups

the great late michael jackson was making heavy duty albums every 3 year (and people like me were expecting him to release every 3 years
    but his problems with media/lawsuits/court cases/family reasons/age all effected the continuation of his work in studio

another example enigma (michael cretu) released his masterpiece project and was releasing 1 album every 3-4 years
    and fans would go in to many fans owened forum to discuss (i had one too) and after the last album released in 2016 we were expecting
    the next release in 2019- 2020 ..2021 ...and now 2022 we heard nothing ..continuation is GONE ..

a-ha were great in the 80s ,they had a nice continuation in releasing an album and that gave them great success in tour ,but they had long break
    and fans seems to forget them so they came back stronger and even their songs had a better quality in my humble opinion
    and fans were delighted for their comeback..even with 3 years waiting for the next big album we are ok with it (and it was only yesterday
    they annouced their studio album so lets hope we would see the next release in 3 years from now

alot of small rock groups do have yearly albums for fast cash and to keep the momentum going for them and for the fans

my point,these groups are human too ,sometimes they need break (even 30 years break to comeback in biggest way possible
    like ABBA did this year ,fans do remember them were they in their 30s,so they used cgi for the last hurrah
    ABBA didnt have the continuation due to personal issue ,so we waited 30 years to get back again on stage for one last time

i dont know about spotify and how they push certain unknown artists to the top (anyone can be on the top list no
    matter how shity the song is musically and production wise (hip hop and rap has their own toplist so i dont know about them

people today want a better music ,there are still old producers are trying to give
    the fans what they waited for and on the other hand you can find young producers are copying styles and make them as they created it first
    and that shity song reaches top list on spotify and get rich while we here are commenting on synthsizers and plugins
    and no matter what we do we dont get a spot on spotify
    because we are still in ''fan mode ''

21. clone

clone Audiosexual

Many people would quit their day jobs if they hit the lottery. (or take a long time off). But anyway, I do agree with the original post about "Alternative" music overall as of about 2010 or so. I'm thinking that song "Sail" might make a good approximation of when "Alternative" sort of jumped the shark into A+R guy garbage. Give or take a year or two.