Where do you place your desktop machines?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Bunford, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is something I rarely see discussed, and rarely see in videos or photos of studios and the like, particularly home studios (or at least those that are non-ghetto and half respectable looking :rofl:).

I primarily run off a WIndows desktop machine running a Ryzen 5950X CPU and 128GB, so has power that no laptop, or at least affordable laptop, could ever come close to. I use it as my central hub for everything music-related.

However, it inevitably has fans and is also bulky (I have the Lian-Li 011 Air case, so not too bulky).

Where do you guys place your desktop machines? It'd be good to place away from my desk if possible, but that then necessitates the running of long cables to my ultrawide monitor, audio interface, and MIDI devices, like my Push 2, Atom SQ, Komplete Kontrol S25, 88 key piano, and so on. I've never had much luck with USB hubs, so tend to try to avoid them, but may have just bought poor quality ones (so any recommendations welcome!).

However, I'm more just looking for an idea of how to set up, and looking for inspiration or genius ideas from the clever folk around this community, so fire away :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

What benefited me the most noisewise, was placing a topping USB isolator between my pc and interface. No more pc noise embedded in recordings.

For recording guitar, I have to stand perpendicular to the pc, because front/back facing the pickups pickup all the noise. Distancing the pc doesn't influence it enough, it's already 3 meters away.

4. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

On a 3 tier stand to the left of my monitor desk.
    I also keep the router there away from my Neumann speakers because it causes a ticking noise in them if too close.

5. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

out of curiosity, which usb isolator are you using? prices seems fluctuating from ultra low to crazy expensive

6. peghead

peghead Platinum Record

I drilled a hole in the wall just behind the desk, wide enough for all the cables plugs to go through. On the other side of the wall there's a bedroom and I placed a wardobe just there with (you guessed) a hole on the back. The PC sits on a shelf inside the wardobe. With the PC on and the wardobe door closed you can hardly hear the noise if you need to sleep in the same room. I've also detatched the "on" button from the PC case and made an extension long enough to reach the desk so I can turn the PC on from the desk without having to walk to the wardobe in other room.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Before my current desktop I had my computer in an Ikea closet to the right of my desk. I drilled a hole ar the bottom to snake cables through. I'd leave the double doors open to keep it all cool and close them when I was tracking with a microphone but it still was too noisy.. Now I've got Noctua quietness fans going on and just the stock graphics thingy and it is literally dead silent. Yea!

8. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Producer

what about more silent fans/ water cooling systems?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Room nextdoor. Hole in the wall for cables. Love it!

10. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Rock Star

I haven't used one in years, but you want a KVM extender, something like this
    [​IMG]
    or this

[​IMG]
    Features:
    >Three (dual) displays support expansion, mirroring, and splicing wall display.
    > HDMI 2.1 is compatible with input and output ports.
    > Displayport 1.4 compatible input and output ports.
    >Supports Displayport video resolution, up to 4K@144Hz .
    >Supports up to HDMI video resolution 8K@60Hz , 4K@144Hz .
    >Supports dark 8/10/12 bits.
    >Switching methods, physical buttons, and wired remote control.
    >Strong compatibility, can automatically match source and display devices.
    >Built in automatic adjustment system, making images smooth, clear, and stable.
    >Built in ESD protection system.
    >Easy to install, plug and play.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=kvm+hdmi+usb&_sacat=0

you'll need to find one with whatever ports you need and then look for reviews on youtube or amazon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Rock Star

This might help you get your head around the solution. A KVM is a box, the switches Keyboard, Video,Monitor between computers or computers between peripherals, or just extends the distance between the KVM etc and the CPU, typically over ethernet these days. so a single cat5 cable carries all the signals back and forth between your monitor,keyboard etc to your cpu.

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/best-kvm-switches

12. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

My newest production machine was built with noise in mind and uses ultra low noise fans - it sits in the studio room and the only way I even know it's on is by looking at the power LED because it makes 0 noise.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I'm driving a BENQ 32" 4K monitor off my new portable system in the mbp 3 max, and so far so good, with interfaces and whatnot... I heard the fans on the laptop only come on once, and it was only for a second or two when doing an extensive RipXDaw process.... but that wasn't while tracking or mixing..

my older machines, sigh, yeah, I guess they could sometimes sound like hairdryers on low at times... I had/have an iso booth (whisper room) for vocals and whatnot which I have used in the past, but it is disassembled right now and not with me...

I've used powered USB repeaters/ethernet and better quality usb hubs in the past if maybe there was a problem (I know you said op that you tended to cheap out on those... and well, in my experience, not all hubs are created equal you know?)... but in your situation, since you are happy with your machine, I would probably spend the extra money for decent hubs and cables etc, as there is mojo to that and getting some distance without problems...

14. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Both of mine sit right underneath my displays on top of my desk, dead silent and I don't even notice there's a computer in here. But those are also both Mac Mini's so..

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

my 50 pound mac pro sits in the right side rack space of my desk, with only my audio interface and midi express 128 screwed into rack above it. my KK 49 sits on my desk. my emu is screwed into the rack space below my desk's shelf. monitors are on stands. other rack stuff is in a rolling rack they make for computer/IT uses. the synths I use most often are on an A-frame. the sides of the desk can hold lots of rack units, but anything I put down inside them I end up never using. With the KK 49 on my desk, I can also safely fit my Grandmother. Any of the bigger synths, I have to move my controller out of the way. My Nova desktop, usb hubs and other stuff is on the shelf with my monitor.

I like some tabletop style units, but I see that format as a disadvantage and skip them. You can run out of flat desk space so quickly. It gets a little claustrophobic.

16. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

This is basically my ghetto setup:
    [​IMG]

Having the desktop on the desk allows me to stare at the rotating pretty colors. Super quiet and no signal interference. My interface, however, is located as far away as possible, on the opposite corner.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  17. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Oh it's more then 50 pounds man, easily noticed when you try and fly with it .....

18. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Topping HS01.

19. thebert

thebert Member

Hey, would you mind letting us know what fans, case, cooler you use? Thanks!

20. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I already user a Corsair H150i Pro self enclosed liquid CPU cooler with a 360mm radiator and the Corsair ultra low noise magnetic levitation fans in my case. I don't want to go full water cooling as the idea of it scares the life out of me :rofl:

21. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I was already contemplating a KVM, and I also have 2 laptops, one personal and one for work, and was going to use this with 5-10m runs of USB, DIsplayPort, and HDMI cables where needed, using the KVM solely for the basics across both desktop and laptops, being my mouse, keyboard, webcam etc.

However, would still leave me with needing a way to connect all of my MIDI gear and audio interface by USB to my desktop placed away from me. I would have a Push 2, Atom SQ, S25 keyboard, 88 key piano, Faderport, Audient ID14 MkII. nanoKontrol2, at a minimum, and only likely to grow over time as GAS kicks in :rofl:

Therefore, I would also need a reliable powered USB hub I guess. I know some devices don't like being connected to hubs though. Anyone got any recommendations for USB hubs that accepts multiple USB devices without issues as per above? I'm not too sure sure if the Push 2, due to it's display, will like being connected to a hub?!