When you plug in your headphones to laptop or mobile to watch the same youtube link/video

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by petrrr, Sep 6, 2022.

1. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

When you plug in your headphones to laptop or mobile to watch the same youtube link/video....does that occur in different kind of audio quality? or it should be totally the same?

thanks

3. Nefarai

Nefarai Ultrasonic

It's kind of a trick question. The audio quality won't change at it's core, but the way you hear it will differ dramatically from device to device.

This is why people often make different versions of tracks for hearing on different devices, or try to make their music sound as good, loud and clear as possible on as many different speakers as they can test on

4. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

what u mean the way i hear it will change?

i've been making tests back and forth and still not sure whats happening....sometimes i think there is a change sometimes not i'm not sure yet, have to be at same volume and sometimes its confusing

thats why i asked here to be sure

5. Nefarai

Nefarai Ultrasonic

I meant the sound quality is going to remain the same, so a 44Khz Wav will stay at the same bitrate, whatever you listen to it with.

But the better your audio device, the more of that audio quality you will be able to appreciate, the difference between listening to a piece of audio on laptop speakers or decent studio monitors, for example, or, say a surround sound system with a sub.

They will all sound different in quality (because of the frequency response/quality/size of speaker) but the audio quality is the same at its source

6. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

hmmm i see yes but i was asking from perspective that same headphone is used on both devices

i.e

1) Plug headphones into mobile
    2) plug headphones into laptop

the headphones are the same

so i guess the sound remains the same in this case?

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It depends on the impedance and quality of the dac/amp in each device.

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

9. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

YouTube doesn't know what speakers or headphone you use, It will always deliver the same quality on the same device/browser regardless of your speakers.
    However, different devices/browsers can lead to different codecs and thus different sample rates and maybe "quality", even if don't think that this is easily noticeable. There is also a short video from Dan Worrall on this topic: https://youtu.be/OekQBS3V6Kc.

Another thing is, apparently YouTube is rolling out a new feature right now: DRC, not just normalization, but real compression. It seems to be a bug, because there is no way to turn it off yet. The issue is described here for example: https://piunikaweb.com/2022/08/05/youtube-lower-audio-levels-or-quality-on-music-videos-workaround/

10. Cinematix

Cinematix Newbie

All headphones jacks are little mini amplifiers that give you a certain sound/volume depending on the quality of the DAC of the port. Some phones are more audio-focused while some give you bare bones audio quality... If the PC is the problem, buy a dedicated usb sound card with decent audio bitrate conversion... If the phone is the problem, try using bluetooth or using system-wide equalizer app to correct the problem...