When using virtual midi/virtual send outs . . .

Discussion in 'DAW' started by thethirdperson, Apr 25, 2016.

1. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

How do you keep multiple DAWs that are running on a single computer from automatically opening up in rewire mode and sync to a single MIDI clock?

Also what do you like to use? I'm trying to find a solution to run multiple DAWs correctly integrated on a single windows computer.

3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

It's possible, but first you need to disable rewire in the daws you want to use in this config, and second you need two soundcards (for example if you have an internal on your motherboard and an external of better quality like many people do).
    If you select a different soundcard pilot in each daw configuration, they will run together not rewired without a problem.
    I don't usually run two daws at the same time, but sometimes I use rapidcomposer in stand alone (just to browse scales and chords, I can then export them in midi) and my DAW also stand alone (not rewired) side by side, I don't always want to use it in vsti in mly daw because I don't necessarily want to do my whole composition in it for example then I'll use it like this. Or you can run notation softwares this way, that's how I use Notion, for just sending midi to my DAW it's much painless than using it rewired. I run them side by side each on a different soundcard, then I just hook them on the midi side.
    For that, if you need to send midi between two virtual composing environnements not rewired in Windows you can use LoopBe, there is a free version, it will create a virtual midi port that you can use as a relay between your two environnements.
    But if you want them synchronised (transports for instance), then you'll have to rewire them, if not you don't need. Although with two daws and the use of Bidule in vst in each as a synchroniser, I'm sure it could work all the way without any need for rewire. It has to be tested though.

4. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Oh and vienna ensemble (not a daw I know, but it hosts vsties, receives midi and send audio) is also a good option, to avoid the use of rewire, it goes through your network.

5. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Thanks again, spent the whole day yesterday toying around with things and playing with vep5 figuring out a proper workflow but I almost got it =) Now the problem seems to be the midi clocks arent properly synchronizing with loopbe1.

6. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

But what setup did you go for ? A daw and VEP5 ? What's your daw ?
    Because if you use Vienna on the same computer as your daw you should run it from your DAW, as a vsti. Meaning first launch Vienna ensemble pro Server, then launch your daw, from a track you launch the vienna ensemble pro Vsti which will open a window for connecting to the VEP Server previously launched. Once they are connected a session of VEP where you can put instruments, auxes, etc opens...At this point you have a link in midi from your computer on the track you have just created that sends - and you can create as many of them using different channels sending to vienna - to Vienna
    And the instrument you create in vienna you route them to you daw by choosing output in vienna and creating an audio track in your daw to receive that audio that goes through your network. In this configuration there is no need for LoopBe.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  7. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

I am on Windows 7 and am trying to Synchronize Ableton and Studio One together. So that I can use Ableton Push and track it out straight to Studio One 3.2. I ended up going with an open source software called Jack that gives you the ability to route audio from multiple software to a single ASIO interface. It was a doozy to setup but I think it will all be worth it once I can get it to work properly.

8. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

The problem that I was having was that when LoopBe1 was sending midi timeclock info from Studio One back into Ableton the BPM kept jumping all around =/

9. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

10. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

11. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

And rewire doesn't work between studio one and ableton ?

12. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Yeah, rewire does work. Unfortunately however, Studio One has to be the Master in Rewire applications and Ableton doesn't allow usage of midi devices in slave mode leaving the Ableton Push and the workflow I have in mind to not be very feasible =/

13. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Ouch, that sucks...You should manage though, it looks like ableton is one of the few daws that can be configured to receive external midi clock from other daws...

14. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Yeah, Ableton does have an external midi control mode. So I'm definitely not far from where I need to be to get a workflow going that I really like. Thanks again @Talmi for pointing me in the right direction you have given me a lot of interesting ideas that I had probably would not have thought of otherwise :mates:

15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

My pleasure @thethirdperson :wink:, hopefully you'll get there and if I helped even only a little then I'm a happy dude.:mates: