When to use L1 limiter, L2 and L3 ultramaximizer?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by venndi, Dec 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. venndi

venndi Ultrasonic

Hi!

Which limiter/maximizer should I use at mixing the bass guitar, and on the master chanel?
    For bass I mean keeping the volume in the same range, that not jumps up and down, and for mastering that the song be loud as hell.

Sorry for my bad english!

3. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Just my opinion... L1 can be a bit harsh and grainy but many like that L1 sound. L2 is more transparent for loudness while L3 is a bit more colored. As far as containing volume fluctuations, a compressor may be better suited along with volume automation.

4. I'll take a pop at this one:

L1 is good for peak limiting a signal to tame the transients into range with RMS. A good general buffer against overs or leveling up a weak image for onwards use in the overall process.

L2 is a proven production limiter that, in the hands of a relative inexpert operator, can produce a good, dithered, maximised (if required) final masters or intermediate submixes.

L3 is an optionally multiband maximiser usefull for extremely demanding maximisation, squeezing out the very last extra bit of headroom and requiring expert operation. It adds optional colouration and dither.

There's a freeware clone of L1. L2 just works and works well enough for all but the most up their ass audiophiles.

5. darthloud

darthloud Producer

L2 > *-* final mastering

6. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

L2 is great for guitar and bass channels... I also use it sometimes as a pure limiter on the input when the bassist goes nuts with his funk slap riffs :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List