When pop synth music all began ... Isao Tomita - 1972! (Get ready for weird...)

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Cardamom, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Allow me to paint a very personal picture for you.

I'm a 9 year old kid or thereabouts. It's the 70's. My parents had seen rock music pervert my long-haired, rebellious brother (born 1951) and wouldn't allow him to influence me musically, save for the works of Tomita. His music was 'okay' as there were no lyrics.

My first albums were Tomita's classical works (Snowflakes Are Dancing - a Debussy electronic music collection and Pictures At An Exhibition - Mussorgsky). As you can imagine, I was the only kid in school listening to this and was very much ostracized/bullied for this - pretty sure ... that and of course, being a fat little chonker with a lovely dermatitis rash covering my chin.

WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW was that Tomita's foray into electronic music started with BEATLES (and other pop music artist) COVERS! Get ready for some crazy stuff from 1972 (released 74 in US) and the album 'Electric Samurai - Switched on Rock'. I was, as they now say, 'today years old' when I learned of this.

So the next time you call up your Omnisphere or Diva synths to develop a new pop song or interpret an old one, just remember how it all began - when synths made pop music - and pop music 'made' synths - for the first time.

And there ya have it,
    :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

http://www.isaotomita.org
    http://www.isaotomita.org/sounds.html

Recordings

Rarities

- Tomita - Rarities - Electric Samurai (Excerpt).rm (503,470 Bytes)
    - Tomita - Rarities - Flowers Sing In A Large Field (TV).rm (2,967,235 Bytes)
    - Tomita - Rarities - Improvisation 1 (TV).rm (2,165,119 Bytes)

Videos

4. MdB

MdB Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Tomita - Pictures at an Exhibition