When My Computer Sleeps, Does It Dream In Binary Code ?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Lois Lane, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Thanks to any and all of you computer brain surgeons for your expertise up front.

I need to do a thorough tidying up and such so that my C Drive is relieved of excess baggage and was wondering how to loose 10 ugly pounds of fat by purging those accumulated temporary files that must add up when I put my computer to sleep. Is this a possibility and how do I go about it?

Signed...Gratefully Yours,

Lois Lane
    Computer Idiot

3. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

Hibernation and Sleep are different so it depends which you put your computer into
    If you dont use hibernation then you can disable it completely,
    have a look for hiberfil.sys and check the size of the file to see how much space you can free up
    If you disable it you can still use the sleep option without any problems

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/what-is-hiberfil-sys-and-how-to-delete-it-in-windows-10/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

On top of @Ayahuasca 's hibernation advice the Windows Disk Clean-Up is a worthwhile run every once in a while (esp. for system files). There are other tools for this (CCleaner etc.) but this usually suffices to get rid of accrued cruft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

I think CCleaner is definitley a good tool to use, especially with CCEnhancer addon for it which takes things a bit further

Also I would suggest using CCleaner portable to prevent the installation of it on your computer as it can be a bit of a nag and tries to add realtime scanning etc that you dont need

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
    https://singularlabs.com/software/ccenhancer/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Thanks for your reply, Ayahuasca.

Beg your pardon, I'm still running Win 8 but I guess the procedure is the same. My new question is, if I disable hyberfil.sys to purge the stored memory to gain it back, when and if I enable it once again is the file incrementally filled to it's capacity or is it once again topped to max.

7. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

Yes the procedure is the same

Keep in mind that if you delete hiberfile.sys, fastboot will be disabled. If you want to reduce the size of hiberfile.sys, but keep the fast boot, you can set the size to reduced: Run CMD as administrator and type in "powercfg /h /type reduced" without quotes.

May I ask why you are still using Windows 8?

8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Thank you very much phumb-reh!

Why am I still running Windows 8? ... Because that's how my computer landed in my room, LOL, and I'm quite handicapped when it comes to these things. I hope that I'll be seeing an additional influx of cash in a few months and will have built a nice more powerful and quiet new one. This one is an ASUS i7 3700 from like seven years ago. It beats the old P4 I had before.

9. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

You might find installing a stripped down version of Windows 10 LTSC onto your current machine might spring a new lease of life into it, if you need a hand just drop me a PM

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. audiozuser76

audiozuser76 Producer

It's depend on the power management settings...:rofl:

11. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

No, the computer is not dreaming. I once watched the ones and zeros with a diagnostic programme while the pc pretended to sleep.
    First, with my extraordinary sense of hearing, I heard a soft rattling of the floppy drive. The recordings showed the shocking background of the rattling: a couple of ones and zeros were having uninhibited multiplication in the shadowy floppy slot. The remaining zeros were dancing on the mainboard to weird noise music. A large part of the ones met for masculine behaviour at the ram bars, the CPU or the GPU, where they tried to catch the eyes of the zeros. The more reserved ones sat in a row at the power supply and let themselves run full. At first I thought I recognised a few sevens among them. But it was only a few ones that had sucked too hard on the power supply.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Producer

Mine dreams R2R Its a frigging Tsunami