When editing a loop i lose some information, is it possible to recover it?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Ryck, May 12, 2022.

1. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Hello boys.
    I have a question, I don't know if it will be possible. For example, I have an acoustic guitar loop, I detect it with Melodyne and suppose it is a "C" chord, so I edit it so that it remains a C7mj7. But the loop loses something, I don't know if it's information or what, but it loses the punch. It sounds like when you pass an audio to mp3 as a "SSS". Like adding white noise. Is there a way to prevent that from happening. To be able to edit a loop without losing the information? or that it sounds the most similar to before it was edited?

this also happens if I stretch the loop, in time

3. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Pitch scaling and time stretching are lossy operations. Acoustic instrument and vocals usually suffer more than synthetic sounds. The more you have to pitch and/or stretch it, the worse it sounds.

Here is an overview of different methods: https://blogs.zynaptiq.com/bernsee/time-pitch-overview/

I'm not sure what C7maj7 is (B and B♭ at the same time?), but apparently it cannot remain from a C (Maj?) chord, since you would need to add the seventh(s). Melodyne is great, but it also has limits.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

Well, when you talk about adding white noise and "SSS" and resonances; I think you will maybe benefit from using a DeEsser like Fabfilter Pro-DS before sending it to Melodyne. Maybe taming those frequencies prior to Melodyne doing it's magic may help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Thanks for the link. I was reading something, but it is a very advanced English for me. In fact, he helped me with a translator. I meant Cmaj7 ( C,E,G,B). For typing fast.

6. Ryck

Ryck Guest

curiously I did this with Eiosis. but not before, after. I find it interesting to do it before, I'm going to try it. When I put it later to try to remove that "SSS" I saw that without compressing the signal, it adds a kind of "air"?? can be? and I even tried other desser, and although adding air is not the same as Eiosis, this one seemed better to me. And it worked, but how do you also add "air" or "brightness". also the "sss" is heard more. But I'm going to try to put it before to see what happens.