When are we going to see the ADAT simulators?

Discussion in 'Software News' started by krakdhaus, May 17, 2017.

1. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

ADAT and Mackie 32x8x2 plugins...

3. ia

ia Producer

Not sure about ADAT, but to simulate Mackie 32x8x2 you need schematic.

4. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

god i hope not, complete with chewing tape emulation etc..... hated those things... the protocol however has stood the test of time for many things though...

5. ia

ia Producer

You about old ADAT (to VHS) or new ADAT (to hdd)? There no reason to simulate new ADAT, but iirc ADAT is some kind of combination between ADC/DAC and tape, i.e. analog sound to ADC to DAC to tape.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

As long as it comes with isopropanol I'm down with it.

7. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

I think to get that true feel of ADAT... it'd be great if you would have to strip the sync code in real time on the track before you can record on it. Maybe have a BRC (or LRC) as another plugin to sync...

8. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

There's not much to emulate for an ADAT other than any particularities of ADC. It's not as if the tape colors it or any encoding-loss or anything, so it's no different than emulating any given 16/20-bit converter or bit-crusher.

9. ia

ia Producer

Converters sound different.

What you mean?

What you mean? Can you explain please?

10. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Yep, converters sound different, but is there anything particularly special about the converters used in ADATs which make them desirable to emulate?

And what I mean about the particularities of ADC is that the ADC is really the only thing that should be altering the sound in an ADAT specific way. It's not like emulating tape where there are all sorts of components that make the "tape" sound. ADAT isn't anything special. It's no more special than wanting to emulate the ADC of a Sound Blaster 16 or any given digital recorder from the '90s. My point is that ADATs are generic. It's not like emulating the filters and converter in an Ensoniq Mirage or something else known for its character.

Any character that ADATs have is that of being entirely mediocre -- in my opinion.

Now, an Ensoniq PARIS recreation might be worthwhile. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Last edited: May 18, 2017