What's your take on this song?

Discussion in 'Music Releases' started by jagen, Oct 11, 2022.

1. jagen

jagen Guest

Hmmm. I'm speechless. Thanks guys. Keep the opinions alive.

2. Worn Soles

Worn Soles Ultrasonic

My first reaction was that the levels are set wrong.
    I know basically nothing of the genre other than hearing it on radio stations that play more alternative "underground" music. But this didn't sound professional.

*edit* I didn't realise this was your own work. If there was just a single thing to change I would start with the snare sound. It is so loud and frequent you are loosing too much vocal clarity.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  3. executioner

executioner Guest

Don't even compare Kanye to this please... :rofl:

4. executioner

executioner Guest

I think your best course of action is to go back and work on your craft. Overwhelming opinion is already negative, and it's best you just take it and improve instead of just accepting more opinions in this manner. Use references, study your favourite artists, find yourself. Learn to mix a little but focus on songwriting/production. Technology makes it feel like you can accomplish every field but trust me, it's better to stick with one thing first.

5. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

The EP is called "Better Late Than Never".

I'd have preferred Never.

6. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

I'll start with the good...
    I listened to far more of this track than I normally do on the songs posted here.

The not-so-good...
    Just when you thought the production could'nt get any worse, it did.

7. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

I'm going step by step, the initial idea ok, the instrumental construction has to be seriously corrected, there's an idea but I have the impression that everything is sent anywhere, the sound recording.... even not with a cassette recorder you have a similar result, to believe that you want a "dirty" sound, that I can conceive, but there I remain amazed!
    I don't have any criticism towards what you produce, with all the computer technology at your disposal I remain "surprised" by the sound result!
    I wish you a nice day.
    ps: i have listened to the track several times

8. jagen

jagen Guest

Thank you.

9. jagen

jagen Guest

Did you listen to the other track on the EP? I mixed it with clarity and crisp. I wanted a little vintage feel on it. That's the concept basically.

Plus, the introduction speech and outro speech were by AI because, I couldn't get anyone to do it for me.

PS
    Thanks for your opinion.

10. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

So, the reactions over here are pretty unified. I listened to your other track on SoundCloud, it's also clipped, although not that much.

But the lyrics and tracks really aren't that bad, you just need to learn about levels, gain staging and mixing.
    Clipping means that the red lights on your master fader are visible, indicating it's way too loud.
    When mixing, the vocals should be carved out of the instrumentals. I use the excellent and affordable Wavesfactory Trackspacer plugin for that, it's even available on the Sister. https://www.wavesfactory.com/audio-plugins/trackspacer/

11. Worn Soles

Worn Soles Ultrasonic

I skipped through the other track quickly. It had the same problem but less obvious maybe because there were less sounds at once overall.

Definitely agree levels and gainstaging knowledge are essential.

12. jagen

jagen Guest

First of, I know what clipping and gain staging is. Secondly, I also use Trackspacer by Wavesfactory 2.5 or 2.2.5 is it? Thanks for your opinion.

Oh! On my loudness meter. Both tracks are -1.0 and only rise high a few dB in Integrated value.

Again, thank you for giving your opinion.

PS
    Are you conscious music making is an Art and not some bandwagon shit. I just do Art. I don't bandwagon. AI TTS + AI pitch harmonies + my vocals is what made BORN SINNER. No more, no less + everything's by me but, some parts of the beat making.

Again, thank you very much for your opinion.

13. jagen

jagen Guest

That other track which you skipped had 914 organic listens before I discarded it because of Soundcloud's refusal to accept modern day features of reuploading a track into an ole one like other streaming servers eg Audiomack, so the ole stats remains untouchable.

I even tried using the Pro version of Soundcloud, no avail. I just had to trash the track because, I hated the mix.

14. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Well, let me put it this way: from an artistic point of view, the track is interesting. But from a sound engineer's point of view, there is a lot of room for improvement. And I don't mean the obvious clipping distortion (I assume that's an intended stylistic device?). I mean more things like micro and macro dynamics, placement, masking & general freq distribution.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Seems like you're getting 'piled on' a bit here. Some folks think its funny to join in and hammer away at someone, calling their work 'rubbish'. It's not a very kind way to behave.

I'm not a hip hop or rap guy at all, I don't really follow that genre. Because of that I'm not going to weigh in on the quality, originality, or prospects for your work. However, reading this thread I am reminded of a music business legend named John Hammond.

Hammond started off Billie Holiday, jazz great Benny Goodman, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and others. Up at Columbia Records he was laughed at when he signed Dylan. However, his "ear" for finding new artists was legendary. He was one of the most successful discoverers of new talent the music business has ever known. BUT, he also passed on a singer from Jersey named Frank Sinatra! Hammond was convinced Sinatra didn't have what it takes.

Point is, regardless of the response you get on this website to your work, no one here knows where you're really going and whether you'll succeed at what you're doing. Even music business legends with a great ear for talent make some really big mistakes.

Good luck with your music. Thanks to @jagen for having the courage to share it with us.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. jagen

jagen Guest

Thanks for this. I truly appreciate it.

17. jagen

jagen Guest

Thanks a lot for the kind words and observations.