What's your philosophy regarding " Music theory?"

Discussion in 'Education' started by MMJ2017, Dec 10, 2019.

?

Is Music theory ( how music works) worth learning in your opinion?

1. Yes

81.1%
  2. No

5.7%
  3. Possibly

9.8%
  4. Whatchoo mean? ( No such thing as how music works ) Foo.

3.3%
  1. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

The screaming of baby etc are neither music, nor dissonant.
    Do you want some literature recommendations on harmony and dissonance (in acoustics and music theory) or what?
    You also misunderstood what I meant by "basis" - I didn't say we can't hear or we can't stand these type of sounds. They have just little to do with music theory - (the only connection is 20th century music, which is regarded as post-modern joke and the reason for the downfall of orchestral music).

2. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Aren't we all lucky to have so many aspiring teachers onboard ?!

I really thought that the worst it could get is when we do the whole UAD vs Acustica Audio discussion. Or I don't know, Cubase vs Reaper, no worst Cubase vs Studio 1 (father vs son, very oedipian stuff).

But Music Theory is indeed in fact a worst mine field.
    Modern era is defined by its propention to make theorical debates, theological ones.

3. sir jack spratsky

sir jack spratsky Producer

you can lead a horse to water....but you cant fix stupid

4. sir jack spratsky

sir jack spratsky Producer

whats a jazz forum?

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

By writing this, and some other prior comments, you are yourself going off topic of your own thread/poll.

It seems that the poll was a pretext to demonstrate your own point. That's why you receive so much polemic answers.

BTW,
    Luckily, knowing music theory does not necessarily lead to play jazz, and again this is where you miss your own point,
    A dance music producer, knowing a bit of music theory, would be better prepared to arrange his own ideas, and , as an example, notice how some powerful lines are made, then bring them to their own production.
    By keeping theory knowledge into Jazz application, you are only pushing people away from it.

6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

When you say "we" ... registered yesterday?
    Sorry, this forum is about music in general, so it's not a specialized jazz forum, no, but it can perfectly contain a thread about jazz and or it's harmony.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. decksound

decksound Ultrasonic

"we have discussed point 1 and 2"

You and whose army? You're literally recommending me to get my academic facts from a subreddit. Thanks a lot, I'll pass!

Fortunately for you, I don't care about the time or the energy that you and your redditor friends may or may not have to educate people like me, nor do I want to educate you either. Unfortunately for you, I don't have "my" theories. You guys do not have to debate the points 1 and 2 any longer. Because they are not bro-science topics. Rather get informed from peer reviewed academic papers:

https://www.jneurosci.org/content/29/42/13165.short

https://www.pnas.org/content/107/10/4758.short

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07494468708567054

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959438808001050

https://www.pnas.org/content/112/36/11155.short

https://science.sciencemag.org/cont...6qm38cRejS2V7Mt0w6TmYWD3M1FzWXmqIE7yNXkyyHsJA

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00492/full

Digest these and then we can start talking.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  8. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Really?
    Did you read my whole comment?
    Your quoting my comment yet didn't read it?
    Then accussing me some weird conspiracy theory?
    I'm going off topic to explain and then demonstrate with the video content that a person who does not know theory cannot possibly practice every possibility in a situation ?

Why don't you look at crisis? What crisis?
    IP address then look at Ad heesive ip address

You really are not qualified to be a moderate are you?
    Where's the integrety ?
    I expected better from you the person.
    If this is how the community is going to be now,
    Not sure I should be here.

I'm wondering if
    SAINT
    Agrees with you ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Exactly right, and that Dance Music producer would probably appreciate seeing music theory presented to them by a non-patronising tutor that genuinely respected and encouraged the music they produce in their preferred genre.
    Which leads me to this book...

There's a book called 'Music Theory for Electronic Music Producers' Available from http://janthonyallen.com/
    I spent a short while reviewing it solely because I enjoy seeing how people teach.
    (no prizes folks for guessing which sister site provided me with a review copy)

In this book, the author's philosophical attitude to music theory is very clear (and I like it)
    (see a screenshot below)

It was another good reminder for me that when asked a question like "Is music theory worth learning", the answer has to consider the quality of that music theory, and whether the approach to music theory is relevant to your goals.

This is a practical music theory book that knows its intended audience, beautifully describes its goals and beautifully achieves its goals. It is friendly, authentic, and non-patronising. It doesn't miss out any essentials, and it doesn't bother with irrelevant stuff just to show off how clever the author is. The author is actually very, very well qualified and has genuine relevant experience to bring to his teaching role, but he downplays all of that in favour of just passing on helpful knowledge to students. If only all aspiring music teachers had this much skill and integrity.

Below are a few screenshot extracts that convey a bit of what the book's about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I was new to music theory and if I was mainly focussed on being creative within a DAW, I would be thrilled and feel lucky to have an authentic resource like this to learn from. So, if that's anything like your situation, surely you should be saying "I want ONLY very high quality please". Today, there's just no reason to settle for anything less.

10. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Go ahead create a thread friend.
    Take over my place here if you want.

Put your money where your mouth is.
    Create a music theory thread that gets 8000 views in a short time .
    I'll support you fully.

11. retroboy

retroboy Producer

Mate you've really got to try ease back on the narcissistic injury. Olymoon isn't attacking you, just pointing out how your posts might be a perceived to be a bit muddled and slightly condecending to us clowns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

It may be perceived that way , if the whole comment is not read through.
    But what would yours or anyone's elses comments cone across like if it was only partially read?
    You don't expect mods to half read things then accuse of things to the thread creator meanwhile trolls running around wreaking havok no consequences.
    Those trolls are not brings tens thousands of views to threads . Which ads are placed in.
    This is a whole community all types of people .
    I am happy with all different people and views
    Are you?
    This thread is about music theory.
    After people post done their views about being able figure out things without theory.
    I made a comment saying in the context of what you practice if you have theory you can flip through all possibilities in context of your practice.
    Then all of a sudden a mod is telling me I created this thread some motives ?
    Meanwhile it's fine for trolls create multiple accounts 1 days old attack members 3 years old ?
    I don't get to decide what audiosex is like.
    But I did think it was better than all that .
    It may just be not the place for me anymore.
    I'm not assuming it is a place for me anymore.
    If people want it to be that way I guess it is going to be.
    I guess we'll have to see how much traffic and value the trolls bring creating new accounts all the time .

My motives are to bring thousands of views to my created threads , that audiosex can put ads in 3ach one of my comment boxes.
    The viewers get the information that helps them.
    Audiosex gets value added to it in several areas .
    That's my motive.
    I have demonstrated this to be true.
    Are the trolls going to be able do that ?

13. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

My motives are to bring thousands of views to my created threads , that audiosex can put ads in 3ach one of my comment boxes.
    The viewers get the information that helps them.
    Audiosex gets value added to it in several areas .
    That's my motive.
    I have demonstrated this to be true.
    Are the trolls going to be able do that ?
    What type place do you want audiosex to be?
    If I haven't " proven myself "
    To you yet.
    Just have SAiNT
    Delete my account and everythread I have created .
    I'll bounce .

14. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

15. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Now we are talking :wink:

I think you're overreacting bro.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I think our differences have to due with me looking at (because i am interested in) how all this relates and connects to more global things.
    I keep bringing in things outside the range of "music theory", but the question involved philosophy.
    Now, I dislike the use of philosophy as a tool to destroy all claims, or to confuse things, I am making that point.
    My philosophy on music theory is what I have been giving, but you seem to be arguing against discussion of philosophy of music theory if it conflicts with well-defined music theory.

So, as an example, I will respond to your put-down about literature recommendations.
    Instead of responding to my claim that your reply was self-contradicting, you insult me.

I will paste here what you said in complete form to give clear context to both what you said and why I say it is self-contradicting:
    "It is true that music that sounds good must work with the human auditory system, but not always - contemporary film music language used in horror movies can be traced to atonal and dissonant systems that have no basis in human hearing and are considered as sounding "bad", but that's the point (in horror music, at least; as avantgarde music they are just a joke)."

So to rephrase it according to what you now say:
    Contemporary film music language used in horror movies can be traced to atonal and dissonant systems that have little to do with music theory and are considered as sounding "bad".

I actually had to include the whole phrase "no basis in human hearing" to keep it coherent, and I think you'll agree it changes the meaning.
    You say I misunderstood what you meant by "basis", used in the phrase "basis in human hearing".
    I say you used the wrong words, and it is why I said the statement was self-contradicting.
    Do you agree the wrong word was used and it was not my error but yours?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

It's possible for sure.
    But I also believe it's possible for the MOD
    To look at my time here see the logistics of what I have or have not done while here,
    In order to differentiate my motives to see if they any different than 1 day old trolls or 5 day old trolls.
    So when taking into account a larger scale view logistics of this community .
    We can look at the thread to see what a member has behaved like and what contributions they have made to the community at large in order to differentiate trolls from valuble productive member regarding
    " motivations"........
    Either that, or I am over reacting. :(

18. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I need to know where I stand going into the future.
    The content I've made so far has only been tiny fragment of what I have to offer and the content I planned to bring here to audiosex.pro
    I'm not going to work on expanding and bringing more and more expanded content put all that effort into it if a month from now a MOD is going to talk to me like they don't know if I'm any different to a 1 day old trolls account.
    I'm thinking about logistics , content, information.
    I'm thinking about building up audiosex.pro
    Bringing value and people here and bringing in money logistically .
    If I'm not welcomed to I accept that .
    If this is not going to be a match for me 8n these ways I accept that .
    But I need to know I'm going to be treated like a content creator , and not treated the same as 1 day old new users or 1 week old users that have not done anything except whine and cry and yell.
    I mean this is normal.
    I invited to add value to audiosex.pro ?
    Or if f,instance my three years here bringing hundreds thousands of views through content people actually want ,with putting ads in all my comment boxes . And the kids and staff think of me in same category as a 1 day old or 2 week old user who just tells and shines and never made anything.
    Never made threads that gets the views.
    My motives and motivations are demonstrable by the logistics of this forum.
    Im thinking big picture .
    What I have done is nothing compared to what I'm going to do next here or if I'm not welcomed I will do it somewhere else.
    All I ask is to be treated based on my actions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Lager

Lager Guest

Guys, please let's be friend again. Nothing is worth friendship.:mates:

I see dear Von departed from AS. So sorry about that, Hope he comes back.:sad::bow:

@MMJ2017 deeply grateful for all your cares and helps.:mates::bow:

20. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Olymoon,
    It's acceptable to keep this in?

Fine I'll respond to it .

You want to play games Bandaid.?

Create a thread with content which brings thousands of views.
    Then we can talk.
    As of now , you run your mouth .
    You fail to see So many variables in any of these given situations .
    Your " tiny picture " person.
    You see the logistics and demographic of this forum means many considerations when creating useful content and information that appeals to a large enough viewership.

Put your money where your mouth is .
    Show me that you can do something here at audiosex.pro
    That brings a large demographic , information that is useful while also adding value to the forum as a whole. .... Then we can have any conversation you want .