What's your favorite piano library?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by not sure, Jan 12, 2016.

1. shomyca

shomyca Producer

In a positive light dude, here you go:

It's not the greatest music, I am doing this for 3 years only, I am a noob really. And I am not here to cure my demons, I would like to stop this thing with you...again, sry all for my typo, I guess you thought I am fake.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Syntey

Syntey Noisemaker

My go-to is NI The Grandeur, nice sound and low ram usage.
    And 8Dio Studio Grand piano sounds very nice, but I haven't tried it yet.

3. MrT

MrT Newbie

- You'll laugh but for pop music I still use Reason pianos a lot...Nice wide inobtrusive sound, sits so well in the mix.
    - Allicia's keys is wonderful, rounded tone...
    - For orchestral music I used VSL's piano often, it's thinned enough to sit in the room with the rest.

I'm not much of a solo piano player, but I think the same library won't do it for all kinds of music. Either have more for different purposes or get ready to do lots of EQing.

4. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

Do you know if there is a Bösendorfer sampled out there in form of a VI ? t.i.a.

edit: it is my favorite "real" piano...
    http://www.boesendorfer.com/de/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  5. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

I would not say "greater" tone, but different.
    Yamaha had more punch, attack, and singing top end (eventually brilliant, especially in the 80s).
    Steinway more a "round" sound with a great low end. The timbre is also darker.

Unfortunately in recent products the difference tends to vanish (eventually because of the new cords). It's quite sad because the C7 is absolutely marvellous for a mix where you don't care about the low end (occupied by other instruments). Its top end can't be matched with a Steinway.

6. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Pianoteq 5 (Bluethner) if you're willing to lose time and tweak it. It is a modelled not a sampled piano however, so it might not fit your request. The piano libraries I like the best are the ones made by Galaxy instruments and Sampletekk. For a concert piano timbre I would choose The Grandeur, the Black Grand MKII or in alternative the Galaxy Vintage D which has a lot more personality and color and probably would suit more some solo or duo stuff.

Unfortunately Vintage Organs has some downfalls. It uses short samples which hardly capture the real nature of the Hammond sound and Kontakt processing to modulate the sound (Kontakt's rotor and saturation). A big improvement in the sound can be obtained by using external FX like a good tube saturation plugin (plenty to choose from) and L'otary, MVintageRotary or Amplitube for the speaker simulation. This method provides better results compared to Kontakt alone but it is more taxing on your CPU. Alternatives to hte previous setup are the already mentioned VB3 by GSi (which has one of the best rotor emulation around) or SoundDUST HAMMR+ which has longer samples already recorded from the Leslie so you don't need anything else. Just load the library on Kontakt and play! :winker:

It is missing releases. Totally unusable for me. :no:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  7. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

8. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Yes.
    The Grand 3 suite has a Bosendorfer recorded by Sampletekk.
    Galaxy Instruments recorded also an Imperial and called it Galaxy Vienna Grand.
    VSL made the most detailed copy using the CEUS technology and creating the Vienna Imperial.
    Ivory II also includes a Bosendorfer Imperial.
    My favourite? None of them. For some reason even if I own already 2 of this list I could hardly choose or recommend one because of their flaws.

9. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

Maybe this is a unique piece of art, that can't be sampled like the other ones... ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

Love the participation in this thread :wink:

Anyone flamboyant enough to try out Hans Zimmer Piano yet?

11. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

You're somewhat right. It has a particular tone like the C7 and if you don't choose the right studio, the right mics, the right everything it will sound way too aggressive or mellow. Each sample library is a particular take on an instruments but so far there is no one which can be considered good. Let's take the Vienna Imperial as an example, soundwise is gorgeus but it is missing any kind of half pedal even if users have been requesting it. What's the point of creating such a beautiful library if it is missing the first and most important articulation of the piano? :unsure:

Great for cinematic stuff but too huge to make me willing to try it. I would need another life just to download the samples. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

thanks very much.... I'll stop now.. I was just in a strange mood last night ... sorry for being such a STAIN son

I was wondering yes, about the actuality , but then again I wanted to hear what 25 years of classical training​
    sounded like .. (despite the spelling ) :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
  13. shomyca

shomyca Producer

No problem mate :)

I would gladly send you some clasicall music played by me, but, unfortunatly, I am totaly out of practice for a long time now ...since I graduated, actually, and that was 8 years ago...and you can not believe how much I regret not recording some of the last recitals :( I'll probably never play those huge compositions again.

Well I agree, but the problem with these generalisations (whitch I did also) is that, when we talk about Steinways, we are talking about different models, generations, and finally pieces. I mean, there are no two Steinways, even the same model, that sound the same. And when you compare different models, or generations, those differences are really huge. I played a lot of Steinways, but I will always remember "that one", you know :) Good thing about sample libraries is that they tend to record really, really good instruments, I love that. But the downsides...well, these are less and less every day :)

Well, you have SpitFire Felt Piano for that :) But yea, It would be wonderfull to have that sound on the same instrument you use every day. But does that Vienna Bosendorfer model have that? They could put a piece of cloth on the cords, though :P But that means a looot of sampling, just for that.

14. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Forgot to mention the "venerable" (take it or leave it) "Imperfect Samples Fazioli Ebony Concert Grand". For certain performances, I prefer a (my) ham-fisted approach. This sometimes suits some of the stuff that I gravitate in and out of during the course of my many "bi-polar" musical episodes. <lol>

15. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

i am producing an album now, and you don't know how useful this thread has been to me! ;) (my hard disks are exploding filled of samples...)

16. Piano Piano

Piano Piano Member

My Today-Top-8-List :

1 VSL Vienna Imperial
    2 VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 + True Keys (American, Italian, German)
    3 Synthogy American Concert D + Italian Grand
    4 Garritan CFX Concert Grand
    5 Native Instruments Definitive Piano (Grandeur, Maverick, Gentleman)
    6 Galaxy Vintage D + Galaxy II (Vienna, Steinway, German)
    7 SonicCouture The Hammersmith Pro
    8 ImpactSoundworks Pearl Concert Grand

17. Piano Piano

Piano Piano Member

Finally, in my humble opinion, VSL Vienna Imperial is completely out of tune in the upper octaves.

So, My Today-Top-7-List of pianos-that-worth-it is :

1 VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 + True Keys (American, Italian, German)
    2 Synthogy American Concert D + Italian Grand
    3 Garritan CFX Concert Grand
    4 Native Instruments Definitive Piano (Grandeur, Maverick, Gentleman)
    5 Galaxy Vintage D + Galaxy II (Vienna, Steinway, German)
    6 SonicCouture The Hammersmith Pro
    7 ImpactSoundworks Pearl Concert Grand

18. WaAcSy

WaAcSy Noisemaker

Thanks for that :rofl:

19. mag666

mag666 Kapellmeister

I recently had an opportunity to test out HZP from Spitfire and despite my initial reservations regarding it's size and the load it places on resources.. I found it to be simply stunning, in terms of sound quality, depth and flexibility... and most importantly, playability

After a month or so of usage, it has now replaced my previous favorites (Ravenscroft & GVD/I) as my 'go to' piano.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

Mag666, thanks for the insight on the HZP.

and pssshhhh....
    I can't find Ravenscroft anywhere ;)