Whats your favorite all around VSTi... and why?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by One Reason, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

I hope I have inspired you Xiny6581. This may be off topic but what is the best way to post songs on the net? soundcloud? I have one almost ready.

It seams like I am really good at starting songs but slow down when finishing, I don't have a lot of time to write lyrics and complete vocals, as these take a big block of time.

2. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Join the club :rofl: *yes* :wink:

3. Muze

Muze Newbie

This weekend I installed a Acces Virus for a client. And it is connected over USB. The driver then works as a VST-I within Cubase. I must say. With all the handson buttons, the fact it can do 16 channels at once. Is simply amazing. It is THE BEST PLUGIN/HARDWARE I have come across.

4. VIVIsect

VIVIsect Ultrasonic

For me, Omnisphere is the BIG one that I go for most often. I make mostly Ambient type music, so of course it's a big staple in my music! Kontakt would come in a close second. I make a lot of my own samples and they all get ran through Kontakt. I use Nexus 2 a lot for quick pads (it also has a couple great piano sounds that I love). Trilian and SubBoomBass for ALL of my bass sounds. :)

5. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

I guess Kontakt...

I use Samplelord with a lot of Soundfonts tho...

I also use Battery for all my drums and sample chops...

Omnisphere maybe...?

Sampletank/Samplemoog/Sampletron/Philharmonik are all really dope too....

kind of hard to narrow down one.

6. crichton13

crichton13 Newbie

I too love Omnisphere.

As a layman it's awesome range of Sounds are simply incredible.

I wish I could learn how to use it to it's full potential.

Secondly I think it must be Reaktor then Absynth, then Kore 2 then closely followed by Camel Audio's Alchemy.

The breadth of audio soundscapes than one can make with the above Apps is simply amazing!

7. Derwisch64

Derwisch64 Newbie

Since the 90´s plugs got so much better... favourite...hmmmm maybe the absynth and the pro 5 plugs but then again what kind of music do I make???? Cheers and what inspires you is what you create...

8. P Bill

P Bill Newbie

Kontakt - Yep always there or thereabouts

RealGtr - Been using loads lately

Massive - Crops up lots

Predator - Reach for that very often

Trilian - Yup use this nuff times

Addictve Drums - Handy quick little thing this.

Erm and loads more but it does tend to change a lot, I go round in cycles will get bored of one, move on to something else, then back to the other when an update or patch comes along... :rofl:

9. davemark

davemark Banned

THIS TOPIC IS MEANINGLESS, NEXT TOPIC FROM THIS GUY, WHATS YOUR FAVORITE COLOR?

10. google

google Newbie

well its a little bit of an 'open topic' but i like 'onereason'

Also STOP TYPING IN CAPS IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE YOUR SHOUTING

or worse

It makes you look like a twat??

How does you day start:

boot Computer
    press capslock

continuing my CAPS discussion on another post. DAVEMARK this one has meaning for you bro :) :rofl:

http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/764-why-do-people-type-in-caps/

11. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

@ Burninstar

I would be also curious to hear one of your tracks.
    Yes, soundcloud is great for uploading music.

12. TkiD

TkiD Noisemaker

Since my last post been using some other stuff quite a bit

Synths: Zebra 2.5, Albino, Z3ta+2, Wollo Voyager & Free plug's off the Erik Wollo site, Predator, Vanguard, ABL Pro, Alchemy, Image-Line stuff (lots!).

Fx etc: Focusrite Plugins; Scarlett & Midnight, Aether, FabFilter; Volcano, SugarBytes Turnado, Camel Phat & Space ( Love these ),
    iZotope Rx & Trash, Dada Life Sausage Fattener ( :bleh: )

I also like those strange little programs that crop up from Peace-Out/ ASSiGN now and then, Musicrow stuff, Rei-Mu, Tampa etc.

:guitarhero:

13. G String

G String Rock Star

I think these topics can be quite helpful as there's a surfeit of VSTs and it's a way of finding the good stuff.

For example, I was interested in Burninstar's post because I am a guitarist and I haven't been able to find a good way of playing rhythm guitar without having to rig-up my accoustic, which is a real pain - needs a good mic, for one, plus headphones, plus routing, and blah blah blah.

I'd like some more info on that tbh. ;) If there's any takers. I'll hunt out those softs, but some more pointers would be great TIA.

On VSTs, I think my fave is Nexus, because it sounds so damn good and it's quick and straightforward. Love Kontakt too, some of the libs are brilliant. Sylenth and Massive too, though there's so many knobs and shit...... :D I just want nice sounds....I quit software engineering for a reason.

Oh, and glad it's not just me that finds Kontakt ugly and complicated under the hood. Geez - these softies need to get some idiots like me in to use their gear before they release em. WTF is all this shit? lol. I never realised musicians were the smartest, most technically adept people on the planet.......

14. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Best way I have found to get some rhythm guitar tracks going is Musiclab's Realguitar, has a nice array of patterns you can throw on a track and the chords are simplified. It doesn't sound tremendously authentic but for ease of use, and to get a 'real' acoustic guitar playing rhythm, its the best I've used, and I've used em all.

15. manducator

manducator Member

Yes, soundcloud is free and good.

16. PitchWheel

PitchWheel Newbie

I know I'm late but this is how I work now :)

First note: I generally prefer to start from presets and make little changes, I'm not one that goes deep into synth programming, so presets are really a part of my choice.

Synth:
    Albino3 is my favourite for fat leads and sometimes pads, sweeps and arps. It must be very well effected anyway to have a good quality on the final mix.
    Nexus2 is a good choice for arps, I love it, although after a while I start being bored.
    Alchemy is my latest choice, mostly for ambient sounds, but also for leads and arps is good and there are lot of midi assignable knobs that makes the sound evolution well manageable, also during solos.

Organ:
    B4 II forever. No doubt.

Acoustic Piano:
    Ivory, although it's so slow to load and heavy that sometimes I go for one of the thousands of other libs.
    NI Akoustic Piano, does not have a very "true" sound, but in the mix works very well.

Electric Piano:
    Currently I'm working with NI Elektrik piano, but I'm not very happy. Looking for other choices.

Bass:
    NI Scarbee, with no doubt, both amped and DI. I tried Trilogy, but there's no need for something so heavy when Scarbee is a real jewel.

Electric Guitars:
    Real LPC + Amplitube. I tried many different choices, both for ampli, both for sound libs, but no one really gives me the complete control and power of this one. Real LPC is also pretty light, while Amplitube is a real monster and freezing it sometimes is necessary. But Amplitube quality over competitors, as far as I could hear, is not in discussion.
    I also tried the El6ctricity choice, but disappointed me.

Drums:
    Superior Drummer is a good choice and not very heavy.
    For small projects I tried the NI Kontakt Abbey collection with good results.

Brass:
    I like the Vir2 Mojo library, but actually I was a little bit disappointed to hear that it didn't "come out" in the mix. Looking for alternatives...

I hope you like my list :)

17. remix

remix Platinum Record

Sylenth1
    Albino
    Massive
    Kontakt
    Trilogy
    Vanguard
    Arturia Arp2600

18. geraldthegenius

geraldthegenius Noisemaker

1-Sylenth1 (use it all the time)
    2-Massive (best vst for basses ever)
    3-Audjoo Helix (!!!!!!!!!!)
    4-Nexus (ofcourse)
    5-Titan (underrated)
    6-Hypersonic 2/1 (overrated but still gets the job done)

I use sylenth and adjoo helix mostly when making synth melodies and then massive for the bass groves...never fails.

19. stensax

stensax Newbie

i don't understand why so many people like Sylenth1. I't sounds so metallic and "virtual"...

my favorite vst is maybe D16 Redoptor. put it on anything and it sounds better hehe.
    and my favorite synths are the PolykbII and the M-tron pro :D

20. obscure

obscure Newbie

Pettinstar's (or is it pettinghouse?) acoustic guitar called Strawberry (again,?) sounds even better at rhythm, but it sounds good only at rhythm.