Whats your Audio Interface of choice ?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by jaymo99, Aug 27, 2015.

1. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

Sweet bit of kit.

2. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

Do you fully understand what clocking is and how clock jitter affects digital audio? I am not going to educate you or argue, your point is perfectly valid. But top-grade clocking sources like the Isochrone by Antelope Audio or Weiss or Apogee exist for a reason.

3. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

Let's hope it won't be "Windows Only" as the Twin Duo USB.

4. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

hi all, this may not make sense to most, but I would like to type a public apology to a member I trashed. it was only Ill for anyone who read it, to that person, and myself. my words were public, so is my apology

5. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

for a guitarists interface, the best I have used was a vox tonelab se routed into an rme fireface. since the tonelab is a modeling hardware it was very noisy until a tried a dozen or so tubes. but was very happy with an old mullard ecc83 for it to model

6. Blizzard

Blizzard Newbie

7. FameTheProducer

FameTheProducer Newbie

Just recently got an Apollo Twin DUO, as I am on a laptop most of the time as well. Can't go wrong with this baby and a MacBook :):)

8. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

I would buy 32 bit AD converter Stagetec Truematch for high dynamic range recording up to 153 dB. And a good dac
    Cheap HQ stuff like emu1616m or Esi maxio 032

9. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

No your right I dont fully understand what clock jitter is, maybe ive never had to worry about it, i would like to know what it is exactly. the only thing i can say is, the card obviously doesnt have perfect input sync.. (or realtime layering/mixing) now i could be totally off in left field on this, but ive always lined up my incoming signals manually anyway (and through external gear) so ive never had a problem with my a2zspp. of course i dont use the analog outs now, (actually i do have my hd-800 sennheiser plugged into the front analog L R audio out without a preamp and the audio is actually too loud without an amp, i think this is because i have a corsair HX-750 power supply, a couple years ago i had a corsair 400 watt then i upgraded, the reality is a great power supply on a computer does change the general audio sound, ive experienced it. the audio is more clean sounding and louder/bigger at lower volumes.)

An example of what i can get out of my Audigy 2 ZS plat pro using digital out :

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  10. DKB

DKB Producer

Hi
    I'm thinking about purchasing the focusrite saffire pro 40 interface. Can anyone give me advice about it and using this with logic X at all , can you tell me how stable it is I'll be running it on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.9.5
    Thanks

11. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Waiting for the thunderpants interfaces to have greater selection and lower price.

12. DKB

DKB Producer

Anyone using the focusrite saffire pro 40 I wanna no what it's like with logic X before I purchase it

13. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

If you're not recording more than a handful of tracks through your AD, then jitter really won't matter. But, if your stacking 40+ tracks, (not vsti, but actually recorded tracks) then the jitter will add up and add blur, artifacts etc..

14. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I have one on a PC it's a great device. Works perfectly for me. No issues so far 3 years and clicking I get low latency also around 3 ms at 128 just like the guy who has the RME.

I am sorry I can not help you out on the Logic I use Cubase 8 and reaper. Both work great.

15. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Funny thing to say.. it's like "my car doesn't polute the environment.. unless I turn it on" :rofl:

16. DKB

DKB Producer

Thanks for the advice anyway
    but I changed my mind and went with a focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and octopre mkii which is basically a saffire pro but with USB instead and it's a newer version . I heard bad things about the FireWire inputs blowing easy on the saffire. The Scarlett works perfect for me no issues so far .

17. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

Listen, It is absolute 101 stuff knowing how and why digital audio gear functions/works. The information which you can download for free in a handful of PDF files on Dan (Not "Dav"! Edit) Lavry's website should tell anyone all they need to know/cover the basics, You can grab them here
    http://www.lavryengineering.com/lavry-white-papers/
    Knowledge is power and these days it is usually free :wink:
    All the best to everyone as always

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  18. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

I will next year probably buy one of usb intrerfaces. So i made a little research and there are two(or three if you don't need alot of i/o and some other features) options that really stand out around 600-800$(and 300$); sound quality and features wise. For that amount of money we really get some really pro sounding gear. SPL crimson and Adient id22(and for around 300$ a little brother id12). If i'm not wrong they all have discrete chanel strips, like in real consoles. Crimson had some problems with drivers on windows, but with latest driver updates, as i hear, this things are past. Sound wise all three mentioned can easily compete with apogee and apollo (probably they are even better) and even more with features if we don't count good implementation of apollo build-in effects. Crimson can also work as stand-alone(don't need computer)unit, which can be huge feature for many users and had enough imputs even for professional users, then there is also two headphone outputs and two monitor outputs(like id22), so you can conect two pair of studio monitors. It has also midi i/o. Audient id22 has other strong points, like you can bridge pre-amplifier and use own one. This is feature i can't find in any other usb interface at this price point. Next strong point is upgradability of id22. If at some point there is not enough imputs for your needs you can simply buy some affordable 2,4,6,8,.....channel preamp and connect it with id22 with ADAT I/O or S/PDIF connectivity. It has fully balanced inserts (Crimson also) and mic imputs are independet. This mean,you can independently turn off and on phantom power(also manage polarity and high-pass filter switches) on both channels, so you can use dynamic and condenser mic together at the same time, without further assistance. Audient software is also one of the best. UI is really something you simply want to work with(best i ever seen)and latency is as good as can be for usb interface, very low. Both have pristine AD conversion and true analog feel. Both sound a bit different. Id22 more on bright side with very fine details in highs although not harsh and crimson more melow, more middle freq focused, but that is matter of taste.That's it folks :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. muse2love

muse2love Producer

http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/forte

the Forte...is a real underrated AudioInterface with great 2 NEVE pre's and great AD/DA converters

but

My pref is The SPL Crimson

and then the ID22 audient

Amazing stuff ...

sure RME is good...but these other options have real MIC PRE'S from real famous console designer

20. muse2love

muse2love Producer

Duet, (all apogee products) or any UAD products have to much color in the sound but there good if you like that color
    PeaceR