Whats your Audio Interface of choice ?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by jaymo99, Aug 27, 2015.

1. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

Just like the name implies, Im currently looking into changing my Audio Interface, currently been running Motu Ultralite connected via firewire into a Lacie FW800 card (with TI chipset, a must for the Motu stuff) its been solid for the past few years, and i haven't had it become possessed once since updating to win 8.1 but im wondering if theres better performing interfaces out there.
    So im curious what everyone is using for audio interfaces these days or if they are running just the native AudioUnit in Mac or WDM on PC ( given all the hype about win 10) i can't believe WDM is better then ASIO.

So yea whatcha got connected to that USB/firewire/other cable or in a PCI slot for your DAW?

What do you like about it ?

What do you not?

if you were gonna update your system what would be your choice and why?

3...2...1.. Go

3. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Just got an RME HDSPE AIO very recently. Works great, for me the advantages are:
    - Very low latency
    - Possibility of increasing the number of I/O. For now I just have my microbrute so I don't need it but when I have a few more synths, it's nice to know that i can buy the card extentions (4 extra inputs, 4 extra outputs).
    - Great performance overall: I can set much lower buffers for heavy projects than on my NI Traktor interface

It can be a bit of a pain due to grounding/isolation issues. Some people have noise issues with this card. I have noise when I plug my computer in one socket, but the noise disappears when I plug it into my other socket, go figure. These problems seem to be on a case by case basis, and very random. It will most likely work fine (and if it doesn't they'll happily send you another one)

I'd say it's a much better deal than the Babyface pro if you're on a desktop

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

if your wallet allows it RME is the brand to go with at this time

5. Gaiana

Gaiana Member

RME Fireface, had the firewire version first, UC usb version now. Can't beat the quality of these interfaces.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

RME Babyface. I've been through a few, but RME is it.

7. LordFunky

LordFunky Ultrasonic

RME Fireface UCX, the best ! :break:
    3ms of latency with 128 samples. Awesome preamps !
    Stable as heaven.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

RME iS A great product no doubt about that but RME Fireface has a lot of series & you have to choose carefully based on your need (if you use only plugins no need to go with expensive one but if you have hardware like guitar or you record things organically (organic sounds) then go with the interface that will fit with your needs , for more info check this http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products_features_table.php

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. eway

eway Ultrasonic

Lot of RME users around here ;) I'll not discuss about which is the best interface, but I own a metric halo since 5 years now and I can tell that it's a very good and reliable sound card and more. More is the ability to use MIO console in every possible situations, to route the signal were you want at anytime you want with snapshots even without a computer. the only negative point is that it's only for mac. but it will stay my choice for a very long time ...

10. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

RME Babyface is da bomb.....!

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

RME Fireface. Before that I had an old Multiface 1. Current one works great and so did the previous one. Great converters.

12. I use the RME Babyface and really dig it. My set-up is really tiny right now and is perfect for my needs.Totalmix software is great and the preamps are way more than adequate. I would love to record my guitar in stereo as I sing into a third but I am hopeful that I will survive this horrible deprivation. Latency is a non issue. The breakout cable never bothers me as it sits in a drawer well away from the fray and lends itself convenient in making changes in cabling if the need arises.The driver has never ever let me down. A huge Sissy Hackshaw thumbs up on this bad baby.

13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

maybe need a thread just for RME, they use a card and external unit?

what makes it better than external units like the apogees or apollos?

usually on laptop so know nada about the card options

actually just went over to geekslutz to see if they had a comparison, it went
    on for 16 pages and I still can't find the conclusion... tl;dr zzzzzz :(

so nice to be in a forum where you don't have to coax a strong opinion out of someone? :metal:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  14. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

RME Babyface :like:. (Had NI Audio Kontrol 1 before, but the driver drove me crazy..:p never again!)

15. panther5

panther5 Kapellmeister

Check these out for a far less expensive alternative: Zoom TAC-2R Thunderbolt, Zoom TAC 2 Thunderbolt, or the Zoom UAC 2 USB 3 interfaces. I'm seriously thinking of getting the USB 3. As far as I can tell, they're getting excellent reviews. Extremely low latency. The only negative I've read about is that the headphone output could be a bit cleaner at higher volumes, but that could be said of a lot of interfaces. You obviously can't have a $1K headphone amp in a $200 unit.

16. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

Apollo Duo here. Love it. Sorry to break the RME lineage here lol.

17. RME for piece of mind as the driver is killer and TotalMix works well. Get the Apollo if you want to use UAD plugins and can do aTB. I have heard ancedotal evidence that RME excels over Apollo if you use lots of plugin instruments and care about also playing live over them. Drummers beware. Maybe true, maybe not.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@superliquidsunshine

do the RME cards come with some kind of interface for your guitars, or you need to choose a separate hardware box for input?
    I see some RME like fireface are totally external or it looks like it... I have just started to consider these, so I'm at max confusion
    stage just now...

• List
  19. e-mu1970

e-mu1970 Member

Apollo Duo here as well, I love this unit for me, I have had all sorts of interfaces throughout the years but this is the one that "clicks" for me! :speaker: I may be gearing up for a quad here at some point but regardless, I continue to be a faithful customer to Universal Audio...:hillbilly:

Yes I'm on mac, No I do not want to start a pc/mac war.....:suicide: lol

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  20. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@e-mu1970 yeah it's a nice piece of kit.. but why can't they include a USB 3.0 ?, yeah i know the argument of going
    with apple, for the max profit, but with so many Windows users shut out of the apollo line.. it's like kicking half the market
    in the nuts... difficult to respect that...

esp if you run machines with BOTH platforms..
    you would want to transfer your hardware to the other platform from time to time

that being said.. it's a big contender nonetheless