What's your 61 key MIDI Keyboard recommendation?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Banesatis, Feb 28, 2022.

?

Which out of these two is better?

1. M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61

100.0%
  2. Alesis VI61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. clone

clone Audiosexual

I use the S49 and love it. But it is over 2x your budget (new). So that's what I was asking, if anyone had checked them out side by side to see if they are the same keybed.

One thing I will say, many users get rid of MIDI controllers for all sorts of reasons. Most of those reasons are not because the item does not work right; it is because it doesn't do what the user thought it could. You can find very good deals on used controllers if you take time to research. There is usually nothing even wrong with them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Greedybuddha

Greedybuddha Member

Any idea how good the launchkey is with logic? In terms of deeper integration...

Sounds like novation have gone after the Ableton market and Nektar has logic

3. jon doe like pizza dough

jon doe like pizza dough Ultrasonic

so it really depends on your needs
    i am a control freak i do orchestral programming so need a lot of faders so i got the lx 61+ though the keybed isnt grate i still love it or if you have a little extra cash go for the nektar panorama t6 or the p6 they have some of the best 61 key semi weighted key beds ever

4. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Honestly without the slightest disrespect to either brand as I looked first...
    The right answer is to look at your own personal library structure and DAW and plugin structure. I say this very straightforwardly because for example, if you use KONTAKT or NI almost every project then you need to consider looking at a keyboard that does your regularly used app(s) - Same for Arturia etc etc etc...

BOTH the Keyboards you have listed support almost any MIDI requirement.
    Alesis has always been consistent for decades. This one is no exception especially if you are an Ableton user. Both offer DAW control.
    The M-Audio has some cool arpeggiator features on the surface, but for me, that is not a selling point (for me).
    NEITHER offer any of the major DEV library houses default keyswitching though they are easy enough to map once you get the hang of how your controller communicates.

If it was me I would definitely look at an 88 note controller keyboard (I have one) because you can map keyswitching, triggers and more to unused regions.

Only my opinion.

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I see several members recommending Roland keyboard. I agree that they are great.... until you want to use the mod wheel. It's not a wheel. I don't understand why they keep this old design, given that nowadays the modwheel is used for multiple effects.

6. droplet

droplet Rock Star

you might consider a 63 note keyboard.the extra 2 notes it can really help you extend your range.

7. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

Right! it has a new semi-weighted one!

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I find the Roland invention of combined pitch modulation very handy. Old design ? I find it very advanced !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

How do you slowly progressively open a filter or make an lfo modulate the exact amount with such a short course of their "mod wheel"?

10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

the A800? ohhhh I didn't look closely enough at the Roland recommendations. That control has been around so long and it's very undesirable. it works fine if you put the controller into your DAW's latch mode, write some random data to get the automation lanes, and then redraw everything. Doesn't it have a very fast exponential curve on the vertical axis, for whatever parameter you assign to it?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hi Olymoon, that's a valid question and I understand what you mean. You are right. But you still have 8 knobs and the sliders that you can assign, for example with "Cutoff", there you can set it more precisely.

[​IMG]

13. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

Is the keybed good tho ? I've heard that their Panorama series is amazing but their LX series is kinda bad.
    Do you know if the GXP series keybed is good ?

Im leaning on the Panorama T6 right now, it's rare, and the price ranges massively per store. The best price i found is 312$

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. clone

clone Audiosexual

Sweetwater has the T6 in stock for 299.

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Very good question, I play Roland A-800 Pro for the keyboard alone. I would buy the same again if the keyboard is defective at some point.I also don't know how long the keys will last 10 - 20 years ?

If you can get a Panorama T6 I would go for it. But they are not Semi Weight !
    I haven't had a chance to play LX 7 or GXP yet, but the Nektar keys are supposed to be good according to some reviews.

16. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

Damn it, people told me it's semi-weighted. You are correct, on the manufacturers site it states that it indeed is synth-action

17. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

Im not from the US. I would need to pay at least 50 bucks for the delivery, so i'll pass

18. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

The Nektar GXP88 is tempting. I could buy one of those controllers with just the encoders and pads later if i needed them.

Can anyone vouch for the keybed? All reviews seem to praise it, but there isn't many of them.

19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You can order and test and return: If you live in Europe, you can order at thomann, because there you can return the device within 30 days and you get your money back to your account.

Test:

I would especially like to emphasize the very good keyboard, with which especially pianistically trained keyboardists will get along very well. The keys are tighter than most synth keyboards and repeat properly. Thus, the master keyboard is also suitable for playing piano parts.

https://www.delamar.de/test/nektar-impact-gxp-61-test/
    https://www-delamar-de.translate.go...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

20. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

I would not. Imo the keys are a little bit loose and they are not really precise in place. they are not bad but for this price ok.