What's your 61 key MIDI Keyboard recommendation?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Banesatis, Feb 28, 2022.

?

Which out of these two is better?

1. M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61

100.0%
  2. Alesis VI61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

Hi, Im looking to purchase a 61 key controller. I've read and watched a lot of reviews but they seem to strongly disagree on keybed and pad quality. So im asking here because people seem to be well-read here.

I think i would prefer semi-weighted to synth-action, but i've never had either.

My budget is 300$ Im mostly focused on the keybed itself because im fine with changing stuff with mouse in DAW's

M-Audio Oxygen Pro and Alesis VI61 sound appealing to me, do you know anything about their quality?

Also Hello! this is my first post here :)

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

I settled last year for a Roland A800Pro, has 61 keys too and a few other features. The keybed - i find very good. Problem is here maybe that this one is no longer available? Since no longer produced? You have to look around.

Also whats your budget? Mine was 150-200€, the A800Pro came 299€ in the end, because the low range has this ugly keybeds. Do you want to play a lot? Like piano sheet music or just hack in some chords quickly?

Alesis i heard has a very plastic cheap feel to it.
    M-Audio was once good, but actual has problems with the keybed too.

There are lots of reviews on youtube, maybe those help?

I asked something similar a while ago: https://audiosex.pro/threads/looking-for-a-master-midi-keyboard-with-49-keys.57818/

Here i decided for either 49 or 61 version and lots of different solutions were discussed. Maybe something helpful for you.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

7. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

Excellent keybed
    $279.00
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KompKA-61--native-instruments-komplete-kontrol-a61
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

A61 Is it basically an Komplete Kontrol S61 with no display screen and other extras? If he does not care about knobs and sliders, etc. it would be my pick. They play nicely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

Rollpiano GPR 61

:rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. EindBaaz

EindBaaz Noisemaker

I own a Roland A500Pro and the drum pads are a joke, there seems to be no touch sensitivity as there are only 2 it seems....
    Besides that no complaints and it does its job.

12. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

I've read up on them and it seems like these three are synth-action. I plan to play both synth,string, and piano parts. That's why i would prefer semi-weighted.

13. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

I've heard that it's good for Komplete Kontrol software but not that great for other stuff. Is the keybed really that great? I recall hearing somewhere that it's not the same as in their other models.

14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

thats why i bought a launchpad X additional. Those feel very strange, but everything else i love about the A800Pro.

15. emax2

emax2 Ultrasonic

If you are using Arturia soft synths-emulators the keylab essentials would be a good choice. Arturia's 88 key controller is also at a good price

16. jaystar1138

jaystar1138 Noisemaker

Yamaha Montage 6

17. recycle

recycle Guest

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. GluBloB

GluBloB Ultrasonic

dont take Novation stuff, M-audio cheap ... Roland is better

19. PartyShit

PartyShit Producer

'dont take Novation stuff'

Sorry nothing is better for Ableton Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 instant mapping out of the box
    I own a Launchkey 37 MK3 it is an overkill for my usage (it can be used standalone without a DAW because you can connect any Analog synth module with MIDI out)
    M-AUDIO is a huge red flag I used to have a CODE 49 it was horrible the only positive about is was the feel of the keybed but nothing else horrible velocity curve horrible misbehaving knobs (values jumping randomly up and down) the 'Beat drum pad' is absolutely trash on the CODE 49

20. holdup13

holdup13 Kapellmeister

My first MIDI keyboard was the Novation Launchkey 61 MK2, and I don't know about the newer generations, but this one is pretty bad. After one or two years the keys have this uneven weight to them, they make A LOT of noise, the velocity curve is exponential-like instead of linear, or maybe the responsiveness got worse after extensive use. Oh, and the drum pads? I never used them because they're practically useless to me. I have to press the pads with unusual force, and that takes away all the feel and dynamics. From my own experience, I wouldn't recommend Novation for MIDI controllers. I think other brands can offer a much better product for the price.

21. Z3r0Str1k3

Z3r0Str1k3 Member

m-audio oxygen pro 49 here and its great... it have integrated almost any DAW mapping... beat that. the pad section for the drums... meh... can be better... BUT... its just for that and some little thing, its kind of cheap. For me its super great. im studio one user but when i use ableton , get some flow even i never use it. and never get the "scene" and the "arrangement" thing haha xd