What's the "wrong note" in any context and how to avoid that?

Discussion in 'Education' started by ICWC, Oct 23, 2018.

1. ICWC

ICWC Guest

A very simple question and waiting for the scientists' answers.:guru::bow:

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

It's any note outside of the modal key you are in. Until you modulate.

But then again, if you are in free form, there are no wrong notes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Lou Ulfark

Lou Ulfark Producer

"There are no wrong notes; some are just more right than others." — Thelonious Monk

"If you hit a wrong note, it's the next note that you play that determines if it's good or bad." — Miles Davis

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Willum

Willum Rock Star

I'm a musician not a scientist, i just play what sounds good.

6. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

You need to use this bassline: vi IV I V
    Then every note sounds good on top of it ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Doesn't matter - if I play fast enough they can't get the cuffs onto me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. m9cao

m9cao Producer

there are no 'wrong note' such thing exist, but only the 'wrong context', do not avoid it and making everything reasonable and useable

9. The ones that make people do this.

[​IMG]

Music is a democracy not a religion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. What do you mean by "wrong note"?

An English businessman visiting Japan for the first time had time to kill before the 1st meeting with a consortium of top Japanese businessmen so went to a bath house as he always fantasized about being with Asian woman. He was bathed and oil massaged by a beautiful, petite young woman and had paid the extra fee and so was able to have sex with her. Soon after the massage and In his great excitement, quickly entered her and she began bucking wildly and calling out loudly "Koon wha, koon whaaa" which excited him greatly, her expressing his prowess as a lover. He marveled at the tightness of her womanhood, so much more so than the English woman that he had been with, and so was quickly spent. The moment he was finished the young woman immediately lept up, donned her robe and left without a word in what he assumed was in the natural, demure Japanese way. A few hours later the man received a call informing him that the meeting would be held at an exclusive golf course that afternoon, and the fellow was a bit nervous, as although he did play golf in no way could he be confused as a proficient player. As they worked their way through the course he felt that his chance of landing the deal was slipping through his fingers as the respect of the Japanese CEO was waning every bad shot or divot he ripped out of the pristine fairways of the world class course. He thought that he found a way to at least partially redeem himself when his Japanese opponent sank a beautiful long and arching putt. The Englishman called out what he thought in Japanese meant "that's great, wonderful" and so loudly and with a great big smile on his face yelled out, "Koon wha!!!" All the Japanese men immediately turned their heads as one, and the CEO, with anger on his own face said, "What do you mean wrong hole?".

Dude, definitions are EVERYTHING!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

All off topics comments cleared: Advice to anyone not interested in this topic: PASS YOUR WAY.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

For me its usually the second note

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Obviously there are no wrong notes. Depending of the genre and the chord progression used, notes can be used/played as "main" notes, and other notes will be used as "passing" or "driving to" notes. Not to speak about the huge difference between one note and it's octaves low or up.
    a simple minor 7th note will be perceived very differently if it's played right up the tonic or several octaves up or down.

Add the coherence sensation that's is related to insistence and repetition, and you'll hear that every notes can be played on every thing.

In this quite simple song the keyboardist chose to mix a very unusual scale to to a very "normal" one do his solo, well the scale in itself is not so unusual, but played in this tonality on these chords sounds at least unusual at the beginning, but while seconds pass it seems that we get into it, and it does not seems so "strange". That what I mean by insistence and repetition.

time is 1:11:10

14. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Any note, whose carrier frequency is not mathematically or linearly correlated to the context and/or disregarding Nyquist theorem (such as adding fixed value of cycles to base note).
    At least that's about as far as my uneducated opinion goes. :dunno:

15. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

In late romantic music you can find very complex chromatic melodies - you won't hear such thing today outside of love scene or "dark orchestral parts" in some older movies.
    Try Tchaikovsky, he is probably the most popular melodist.
    In a simple pop/rock/hip/electronic compositions you will very rarely find any chromatic notes. They are probably not needed at all, if you need a simple mood.

16. Then again, this Fadd9 became one of the iconic wrong chords of all time:

Does that make it right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

EASY

Does it sound good to the person that wrote it or played it?
    No? - Then it's probably wrong.
    If a person is speaking of the audience, then that enters into the realm of people pleasing, not creativity and not what is right or wrong in notes. a developed ear hears differently.. If anyone goes to an improvisation concert, they are not going to see The Foo Fighters. The notes to the audience in each concert will probably sound right. Swap the audiences in a mismatch and it all changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  18. ICWC

ICWC Guest

Thank you guys, I love you!!!:hug: